_. U2 "The Joshua Tree"
_. Joy Division "Closer"

Oh? There's ten slots?

_. New Order "Power, Corruption & Lies"*
_. A Tribe Called Quest "The Low End Theory"
_. The Clash "London Calling"
_. Morrissey "Viva Hate"
_. My Bloody Valentine "Loveless"

*If compilations are allowed, this would be "Substance" instead.

Kinda varies from year to year.

Top Five (in no order beyond #1):

1. The Smiths "The Queen Is Dead"
_. Echo & The Bunnymen "Ocean Rain"
_. Public Enemy "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back"
_. U2 "The Joshua Tree"
_. Joy Division "Closer"

Oh? There's ten slots?

_. Morrissey "Viva Hate"

ummm...you are WAY cool my friend...based on these...

word up!! :guitar:

I see some are breaking the 5 album limit, so here is the bottom half of my list...

6. Morrissey - Vauxhall And I
7. The Cure - Wish
8. The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
9. The Jesus And Mary Chain - Honey's Dead
10. Echo And The Bunnymen - Heaven Up Here

1. The Queen is Dead- The Smiths. (I'd rather have Hatful of Hollow but if we are being strict. 2. Coming from Reality- Rodriguez. 3. Le monde fabuleux des Yamasuki - Yamasuki Singers. These are the albums I can listen to from start to finish I have a few other artists I love but I cherry pick songs and make up my own best of's rather than buy full albums.

Kinda varies from year to year.

Top Five (in no order beyond #1):

1. The Smiths "The Queen Is Dead"
_. Echo & The Bunnymen "Ocean Rain"
_. Public Enemy "It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back"
_. U2 "The Joshua Tree"
_. Joy Division "Closer"

Oh? There's ten slots?

_. Morrissey "Viva Hate"

Indeed an excellent selection, apart from the hip hop records, whom I cannot abide. :) But even there, Public Enemy is at least closer to listenable than any other rap group I know of. For a while, they seemed like they were ready to don punk's sadly flopping mantle.

Anyway, I'll flesh out my own top ten with the following five:

Kate Bush: Never For Ever. Delightfully poised between 70s prog, the eighties that were about to break and pure idiosyncratic genius, subtly exuberant, she was never more seductive than on this record. Breathing and the Wedding List would alone be enough to secure anybody's position in rock history.

Joy Division: Closer. To quote Garry Mulholland: Closer is far beyond the reach of 99% of popular music. I don't listen to it much.

Lustans Lakejer: En plats i solen. Swedish 80s indie icons produced a truly great record with this release, and one that keeps holding you almost 30 years on. Richard Barbieri of Japan produced, but it sounds a lot more like Magazine than Japan. Lyrics with such pathos they make Japan seem stringent by comparison, but somehow it all just works.

Magazine: Secondhand Daylight. What can you say? From the perfect summation of cold war paranoia in Feed the Enemy to the rock'n roll extravaganza of Rhytm of Cruelty, this is just a great rock album, end to end.

The Clash: Combat Rock. You start out with the singles, and then over time, you end up with songs like Red Angel Dragnet and Death is a Star still amazing you after 30 years of listening. There's a lot of theft on this record (Gang of Four? The Fall?), but this is in my opinion their most durable and compact record.

Honorable mention: The Pixies: Trompe le Monde, Depeche Mode: A Broken Frame, The Fall: Perverted by Language, Pulp: This is Hardcore, The The: Infected, Stereolab: Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements, The Pogues: Rum, Sodomy and the Lash , The Strokes: Is this it?, Nick Cave: Your Funeral, My Trial, Prefab Sprout: Steve McQueen, Blondie: Parallell lines , New Order: Substance, Mogwai: Rock Action and Japan: Oil on Canvas.

cheers

Last edited:
Ah well, there seems to be little consensus when it comes to Kate Bush albums. A lot of people seem to prefer Lionheart, which I find to be her weakest (except for The Red Shoes of course). The Kick Inside is really good, I agree. Also The Dreaming and Hounds of Love. But Never For Ever was my Kate Bush epiphany, at an impressionable age. That sort of thing tends to stick. :)

cheers

But even there, Public Enemy is at least closer to listenable than any other rap group I know of. For a while, they seemed like they were ready to don punk's sadly flopping mantle.

Yes, "It Takes A Nation..." was their high-water mark (with apologies to "Fear Of A Black Planet") and has a punk edge to it, however deeply-buried. I actually discovered it at the same time as the Pistols. A friend lent me two cassettes, PE and "Never Mind The Bollocks". I made the connection instantly. Both bands had unsustainable points of view viz. politics: PE was too political, SP not nearly political enough. I remember that both albums frightened me as much as they excited me (at the time I had no ear for Lydon's sense of humor). I don't play either very frequently, but of the two I play "Nation" more.

Joy Division: Closer. To quote Garry Mulholland: Closer is far beyond the reach of 99% of popular music. I don't listen to it much.

This is very well put. Not just the quote about the 99%, but not listening to it much. It is not a record I love. It's just a record I'm in awe of every time I play it, which is why it makes my top ten. In one of the Factory Too live CDs, Anthony H. Wilson says something like "Joy Division were too real for some of us to handle". That's how "Closer" makes me feel. I think it would feel that way even if Ian were still alive.

The Clash: Combat Rock. You start out with the singles, and then over time, you end up with songs like Red Angel Dragnet and Death is a Star still amazing you after 30 years of listening. There's a lot of theft on this record (Gang of Four? The Fall?), but this is in my opinion their most durable and compact record.

Again, very true: of all the Clash songs that have stayed with me over the years, it's "Straight To Hell" that has moved to the front of the pack. "Red Angel Dragnet" and even "Know Your Rights" always surprise me with how good they are. I'd still put "London Calling" ahead of it, but "Combat Rock" is better than people remember.

Honorable mention: Depeche Mode: A Broken Frame, The Fall: Perverted by Language, Pulp: This is Hardcore, The The: Infected, Stereolab: Transient Random Noise Bursts with Announcements, The Pogues: Rum, Sodomy and the Lash , The Strokes: Is this it?, Nick Cave: Your Funeral, My Trial, Prefab Sprout: Steve McQueen, Blondie: Parallell lines , New Order: Substance and Japan: Oil on Canvas.

The Strokes? Really? Surprising pick, though I liked that album.

In some ways I think "A Broken Frame" is DM's masterpiece. Not the strongest set of songs, but it was a more perfect, I don't know, first-wave synth sound they got. Everything that followed was great and much more memorable but, ironically, as Gore got more innovative and creative with the music, they moved away from that original synth sound so beloved to many of us. They became more accomplished, but not better.

Thumbs up on Pulp, New Order, and The Pogues. My favorite Fall record is "This Nation's Saving Grace". Though I haven't heard them all; like rabbits they keep breeding in the bins. I can't keep track of them. :rolleyes:

Yes, "It Takes A Nation..." was their high-water mark (with apologies to "Fear Of A Black Planet") and has a punk edge to it, however deeply-buried. I actually discovered it at the same time as the Pistols. A friend lent me two cassettes, PE and "Never Mind The Bollocks". I made the connection instantly. Both bands had unsustainable points of view viz. politics: PE was too political, SP not nearly political enough. I remember that both albums frightened me as much as they excited me (at the time I had no ear for Lydon's sense of humor). I don't play either very frequently, but of the two I play "Nation" more.

For reasons I can't really penetrate, they always remind me somehow of the Fall. Anyway, they sadly turned out to represent something of a cul-de-sac in the developmentof hip hop (to the extent someone who consistently abstains from listening to rap music is qualified to make that judgment).

This is very well put. Not just the quote about the 99%, but not listening to it much. It is not a record I love. It's just a record I'm in awe of every time I play it, which is why it makes my top ten. In one of the Factory Too live CDs, Anthony H. Wilson says something like "Joy Division were too real for some of us to handle". That's how "Closer" makes me feel. I think it would feel that way even if Ian were still alive.

It is, isn't it? It requires an effort. Probably it is a mark of sanity that it works this way, because at its best, it just crawls right under your skin and it's not nice. I mean, just the bassline on 24 Hours is enough to make you want to weep, and not from pleasure in music alone.

Again, very true: of all the Clash songs that have stayed with me over the years, it's "Straight To Hell" that has moved to the front of the pack. "Red Angel Dragnet" and even "Know Your Rights" always surprise me with how good they are. I'd still put "London Calling" ahead of it, but "Combat Rock" is better than people remember.

And Sean Flynn. And Ghetto Defendant. Oh my, what a record. London Calling is fantastic too, of course, but I never grew to love it quite in the same way.

The Strokes? Really? Surprising pick, though I liked that album.

Well, I had to include something from the noughties, didn't I? :) Anyway, it deserves classic status in my opinion - no weak moments, an end to end great album. I played it to death when it arried, as much as anything else on my list.

In some ways I think "A Broken Frame" is DM's masterpiece. Not the strongest set of songs, but it was a more perfect, I don't know, first-wave synth sound they got. Everything that followed was great and much more memorable but, ironically, as Gore got more innovative and creative with the music, they moved away from that original synth sound so beloved to many of us. They became more accomplished, but not better.

Excellently put! You can in many ways argue the case that, say, Black Celebration or Music for the Masses are stronger albums. But, A Broken Frame has a rare kind of purity to it that is really DM's most attractive trait. The quintessential expression of it is See You, possibly the best bittersweet moment in the history of pop music. It never ceases to move me.

Thumbs up on Pulp, New Order, and The Pogues. My favorite Fall record is "This Nation's Saving Grace". Though I haven't heard them all; like rabbits they keep breeding in the bins. I can't keep track of them.

:) There are half a dozen candidates for which Fall album to include, and half of their records I haven't even heard yet. TNSG is one of them, and it hereby goes on my purchase list. If the insurance company coughs up after the theft of my record collection, there's going to be a fairly substantial number of Fall purchases. Now that's a silver lining if ever there was one. :)

Pulp's This is hardcore: Despite the pop perfection of His'n Hers and the superb melancholy of Separations, I can't help but feel that this is where they brought it all together, in a more complex and ultimately more rewarding way than on any other release. There's just so many great moments. The chill of "The Fear". The irresistble majesty of the title track. The final guitar part on "Sylvia". And oh the lyrics - never was Jarvis better. "Without you my life has become a hangover without end / A movie made for TV: bad dialogue, bad acting, no interest / Too long with no story & no sex." Has anyone ever expressed such a sentimental emotion with so little sentimentality? :) I find, incidentally, that listening to Richard Hawley's solo records have really sustained my appreciation for Pulp - it's like all of their uncool, non-Britpop bits taken out and distilled, which paradoxically makes you appreciate how important those bits were.

cheers

Last edited:
Here are mine

1. The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
2. Ash - 1977
3. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
4. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say i am, thats what im not
5. Morrissey - Vauxhall and I

A little mainstream for some im sure, but i make no apologies. We all like what we like, and i like a nice tune and lyrics i can identify with :thumb:

for the record, my bottom half would be

6. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
7. Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern
8. Radiohead - The Bends
9. Joy Division - Closer
10. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Awwww yeah...I approve!! :thumb:

good one, PHils, had mine, ad a few more

pills thrills and bellyaches-the happy mondays
7-james
songs to learn and sing-echo& bunnymen [sorta best of]
Japan or David sylvian solo-no real album to choose , too difficult, even solo or band:confused:
Sineads first album, as wel as Toris with çought a light sneeze' and
Kate Bush her whole released material

ad this if someone has some time on their hands, and care to listen to
some music with celibate quality cerificate plus Phils list

good one, PHils, had mine, ad a few more

pills thrills and bellyaches-the happy mondays
7-james
songs to learn and sing-echo& bunnymen [sorta best of]
Japan or David sylvian solo-no real album to choose , too difficult, even solo or band:confused:
Sineads first album, as wel as Toris with çought a light sneeze' and
Kate Bush her whole released material

ad this if someone has some time on their hands, and care to listen to
some music with celibate quality cerificate plus Phils list

These are also greats!! :D

These are also greats!! :D

tears for fears - the hurting
lloyd Cole and the commotions - album with perfect skin/rattlesnakes]
the ascociates- the one with 'breakfast' and 'wating for the loveboat'
Simple Minds- new gold dreams ['sparkle in the rain' is Ok too\
split enz
the Waterboys