Your Top 10 Morrissey albums

Thewlis

Very Senior Member
Now that World Peace will have sunk in for most of us, where do you place it on your Morrissey album top 10?
So just lists please.
Here's mine to start off:

1. Vauxhall and I
2. Viva Hate
3. You Are the Quarry
4. Your Arsenal
5. World Peace is None of Your Business
6. Ringleader of the Tormentors
7. Maladjusted
8. Southpaw Grammar
9. Kill Uncle
10. Years of Refusal

1. Rott
2. Vai
3. Ya
4. Vh
5. Yor
6. Yatq
7. Wpinoyb
8. Sg
9. Ku
10. M

1. Vauxhall and I
2. Your Arsenal
3. Southpaw Grammar
4. Viva Hate
5. You Are the Quarry
6. World Peace is None of Your Business
7. Ringleader of the Tormentors
8. Years of Refusal
9. Maladjusted
10. Kill Uncle

1. Vauxhall & I
2. World Peace is None Of Your Business
3. Ringleader of the Tormentors
4. Your Arsenal
5. Viva Hate
6. Maladjusted
7. Southpaw Grammar
8. Kill Uncle
9. You are the Quarry
10. Years of Refusal

That's in terms of which ones have the biggest impact on me emotionally.
For instance, I think Quarry is more consistent than Ringleader across the whole album. The former is solid from beginning to end, whereas the latter is about 50% naff - but the later album's good half has much more of an impact on me than all of Quarry.

1.Vauxhall & I
2.Viva Hate
3. Your Arsenal
4. World Peace Is None of Your Business
5. You Are the Quarry
6. Kill Uncle
7. Ringleader of the Tormentors
8. Years of Refusal
9. Maladjusted
10. Southpaw Grammar

1World Peace
2Ringleader
3Years of Refusal
4Quarry
5Bona Drag
6Kill uncle
7Your Arsenal
8Southpaw grammar....Remastered
9Vauxhall
10Malajusted

Last edited by a moderator:
1- Viva Hate
2- Vauxhall & I
3- Your Arsenal
4- World Peace
5- Quarry
6- Kill Uncle
7- Maladjusted
8- Southpaw Grammar
9- Ringleader
10- Years Of Refusal

Hey guys, hated & mucho despised anonymous here.. this question has come up before, but this time let me think and answer.. but first i want to say that in my opinion every Morrissey album has its own charm and there are no albums i dislike.

1. Bona Drag: strictly speaking not really an album i believe, but more the first of a long list of hits and b-sides collections, but nevertheless my absolute favourite. The clip for "Ouija board" was played on a music channel in the early 90s and that's where my love for Morrissey began. I like all of the other songs on this album as well, and i love the cover and the black and white picture where he's casually leaning in some street or other. For me this is the most enjoyable Morrissey album largely because most of the songs are uplifting and in good fun.

2. Viva Hate: the first proper album, and it's fantastic. This album would have deserved second place for the song "Late night maudlin street alone". Love most of the other songs on it as well, and Vini Reilly and Stephen Street did a great job. There are one or two songs i would consider filler, but i won't name them because that would be impolite.

3. Kill Uncle: yes! I never ever understood the hate for this album, it's so short and sweet. I always thought everyone had it wrong, how surprised i was on learning that even Morrissey himself doesn't understand what a great album this is! Not a single song on here i don't like. Like Bona Drag, this shows Morrissey's humorous and breezy side. All of the lyrics are sung ironically and i love some of the vocal overdubs on this, like the ending of "Our Frank". I like "Tony the pony" as well but "There is a place" is the perfect ending, so i prefer that version. My favourite albumcover.

4. Your Arsenal: this album rocks! His new band never sounded better in my opinion. This album also has two of his most hauntingly beautiful ballads. And he looks sexy on the cover.

5. Maladjusted: i don't try and be contrarian here, but again i never understood the hate for this album. I even like the cover art! "Wide to receive" is one of the first songs about the internet i know of, and it's such a great song. The opening track is great also. And "Alma matters" was a great single with a nice clip and a short quiff. And a cat.

6. Swords: ok maybe i am contrarian, I don't know.. but from all post 2000 Mozzer albums, as a collection of songs this is my favourite. I love the "Under the floorboard" cover. The album art could have been better tho, although wearing two watches is admittedly funny.

7. Southpaw Grammar: love the opening track, love some of what follows. The drumsolo is awesome. Morrissey really tried to do soemthing different here and in my opinion it worked.

8. World Peace is none of your Business: the album has grown on me, i wasn't immediately impressed. What i really like is the way his voice sounds, it might have never sounded better! And some of the vocal melodies are superb, like for example in "Neal Cassidy drops dead" when he sings "di da di da da daHaa". Great! The band did a great job also. Some of the lyrics are not his best tho. Nevertheless he can feel rightfully proud of his vocal performance.

9. Vauxhall & I: so good it's all slightly boring in my opinion. Albumsleeve looks like he's modelling for a dad clothes catalogue.

10. Years of Refusal: from all his post 2000 albums, this one rocks the most and i like it. Not a fan of the cover art.

Why is your list upside down. And I've read it three times coz I can't believe me eyes, no Vauxhall? Have a day off will ya!

Sorry...I was in a hurry. Vauxhall should be where Viva hate...is. I will change it. Thanks....

I was cooking for the inmates......a facility for disabled.

Just my opinion....

Last edited by a moderator:
your arsenal
bona drag
you are the querry
swords
world peace
maladjusted (reissue)
years of refusal
viva hate
vauxhall
kill uncle
ringleader of the tormentors
south paw grammar

its always subject to a little change at any moment but thats pretty close.

Hey guys, hated & mucho despised anonymous here.. this question has come up before, but this time let me think and answer.. but first i want to say that in my opinion every Morrissey album has its own charm and there are no albums i dislike.

1. Bona Drag: strictly speaking not really an album i believe, but more the first of a long list of hits and b-sides collections, but nevertheless my absolute favourite. The clip for "Ouija board" was played on a music channel in the early 90s and that's where my love for Morrissey began. I like all of the other songs on this album as well, and i love the cover and the black and white picture where he's casually leaning in some street or other. For me this is the most enjoyable Morrissey album largely because most of the songs are uplifting and in good fun.

2. Viva Hate: the first proper album, and it's fantastic. This album would have deserved second place for the song "Late night maudlin street alone". Love most of the other songs on it as well, and Vini Reilly and Stephen Street did a great job. There are one or two songs i would consider filler, but i won't name them because that would be impolite.

3. Kill Uncle: yes! I never ever understood the hate for this album, it's so short and sweet. I always thought everyone had it wrong, how surprised i was on learning that even Morrissey himself doesn't understand what a great album this is! Not a single song on here i don't like. Like Bona Drag, this shows Morrissey's humorous and breezy side. All of the lyrics are sung ironically and i love some of the vocal overdubs on this, like the ending of "Our Frank". I like "Tony the pony" as well but "There is a place" is the perfect ending, so i prefer that version. My favourite albumcover.

4. Your Arsenal: this album rocks! His new band never sounded better in my opinion. This album also has two of his most hauntingly beautiful ballads. And he looks sexy on the cover.

5. Maladjusted: i don't try and be contrarian here, but again i never understood the hate for this album. I even like the cover art! "Wide to receive" is one of the first songs about the internet i know of, and it's such a great song. The opening track is great also. And "Alma matters" was a great single with a nice clip and a short quiff. And a cat.

6. Swords: ok maybe i am contrarian, I don't know.. but from all post 2000 Mozzer albums, as a collection of songs this is my favourite. I love the "Under the floorboard" cover. The album art could have been better tho, although wearing two watches is admittedly funny.

7. Southpaw Grammar: love the opening track, love some of what follows. The drumsolo is awesome. Morrissey really tried to do soemthing different here and in my opinion it worked.

8. World Peace is none of your Business: the album has grown on me, i wasn't immediately impressed. What i really like is the way his voice sounds, it might have never sounded better! And some of the vocal melodies are superb, like for example in "Neal Cassidy drops dead" when he sings "di da di da da daHaa". Great! The band did a great job also. Some of the lyrics are not his best tho. Nevertheless he can feel rightfully proud of his vocal performance.

9. Vauxhall & I: so good it's all slightly boring in my opinion. Albumsleeve looks like he's modelling for a dad clothes catalogue.

10. Years of Refusal: from all his post 2000 albums, this one rocks the most and i like it. Not a fan of the cover art.

So no love for Ringleader and Quarry then? I specifically said 10 as World Peace is his 10th solo album, but I half expected some to throw in comps.
And I have to agree with you on Bona Drag (perhaps his greatest collection of songs) and Kill Uncle (the cover...). Great post!

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
5. You Are the Quarry
6. Kill Uncle
7. Maladjusted
8. Southpaw Grammar
9. Years of Refusal
10. Ringleader of the Tormentors

Re: Your Top 10 Morrissey Studio Albums

1. Viva Hate
2. You Are the Quarry
3. Your Arsenal
4. Vauxhall and I
7. Maladjusted
8. Kill Uncle
9. Southpaw Grammar
10. Years of Refusal

1. Your Arsenal
2. You Are the Quarry
3. Vauxhall and I
4. Viva Hate
7. Kill Uncle
8. Maladjusted
9. Southpaw Grammar
10. Years of Refusal

1. Viva Hate
2. Your Arsenal
3. Vauxhall and I
4. World Peace is None of Your Business
5. Years of Refusal
6. Southpaw Grammar
7. You are The Quarry
8. Ringleaders of the Tormenters
9. Kill Uncle
10.Maladjusted

I really should go back to the old "list Morrissey's albums" threads and see how consistent my answers are. I suspect there might be some wild variations each time.

Last edited:

Your Arsenal
W.P.I.N.O.Y.B
Vauxhall
Viva Hate
Years of refusal
You Are the Quarry
Ringleader
Kill Uncle
Southpaw
Maladjusted

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
5. You Are the Quarry
6. Kill Uncle
7. Maladjusted
8. Southpaw Grammar
9. Years of Refusal
10. Ringleader of the Tormentors

I like your order a lot. I think I would just fit Swords in there somewhere as I love it more than most. Even though its a b-sides compilation. Morrissey b-sides are secret a-sides, sometimes. ;)

Probably like this:

1. Your Arsenal
2. Vauxhall and I
3. Viva Hate
4. Swords
5. World Peace Is None of Your Business
6. You Are the Quarry
7. Kill Uncle
8. Years of Refusal
9. Ringleader of the Tormentors
10. Maladjusted

Back