Your Top 10 Morrissey albums

Not 1 'good' song, 1 'brilliant' song.
Irish Blood has a good tune but rubbish lyrics. Most of Morrissey's attempts at political commentary are pretty embarrassing (the song World Peace is even worse).
Jesus is a ghastly and foolish song, although the music's ok.
Let Me Kiss You is jangly and pleasant enough but in no way a brilliant song.
First of the Gang, however, is a brilliant song.

What do u rate a 'good' song out of 10 and a 'brilliant' song out of 10?

Viva Hate
Your Arsenal
Southpaw Grammar
Vauxhall & I
Kill Uncle
Maladjusted
World Peace Is None of Your Business
Years of Refusal
Ringleader of the Tormentors
You Are the Quarry

Re: Your Top 10 Morrissey Studio Albums

1. Viva Hate
2. Your Arsenal
3. Vauxhall and I
4. World Peace is None of Your Business
5. Years of Refusal
6. Southpaw Grammar
7. You are The Quarry
8. Ringleaders of the Tormenters
9. Kill Uncle
10.Maladjusted

I really should go back to the old "list Morrissey's albums" threads and see how consistent my answers are. I suspect there might be some wild variations each time.

You always have "Maladjusted" dead last, that's for sure. We have a difference of opinion on that one. I guess the reason I like it so much is because '97 was the year I really started loving Morrissey's music. I was in Hastings and I stumbled onto the "Maladjusted" cassette by accident. I remembered the Smiths and Morrissey songs my friends Justin and Christine used to play for me in '92 and '93. I liked the songs but they didn't quite click with me all the way. I owned a cassette of "Meat is Murder" but never played it. I bought "Maladjusted" and songs like "Alma Matters," "Trouble Loves Me," "Ammunition," and "Wide to Receive" hit me like a lightning bolt. I'm so glad I stumbled onto that cassette in '97. I discovered the magic of The Smiths and Morrissey-solo pretty late, but better late than never.

#10, least favorite) "Years of Refusal." Favorite song, "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris."

#9) "Southpaw Grammar." Favorite song, "Best Friend on the Payroll." (love the music on this song.)

#8) "Kill Uncle." Favorite song, "Sing Your Life."

#7) "Ringleader...." Favorite song, (a tie) "You Have Killed Me" and "The Father Who Must Be Killed."

#6) "You Are the Quarry." Favorite song, "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"

#5) "Maladjusted." Favorite song, "Ammunition."

#4) "Your Arsenal." Favorite song, "Seasick, Yet Still Docked."

#3) "World Peace...." Favorite song, "Smiler With Knife."

#2) "Viva Hate." Favorite song, "Bengali in Platforms."

#1, my favorite Morrissey album) "Vauxhall & I." Favorite song, "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself."

You always have "Maladjusted" dead last, that's for sure. We have a difference of opinion on that one. I guess the reason I like it so much is because '97 was the year I really started loving Morrissey's music. I was in Hastings and I stumbled onto the "Maladjusted" cassette by accident. I remembered the Smiths and Morrissey songs my friends Justin and Christine used to play for me in '92 and '93. I liked the songs but they didn't quite click with me all the way. I owned a cassette of "Meat is Murder" but never played it. I bought "Maladjusted" and songs like "Alma Matters," "Trouble Loves Me," "Ammunition," and "Wide to Receive" hit me like a lightning bolt. I'm so glad I stumbled onto that cassette in '97. I discovered the magic of The Smiths and Morrissey-solo pretty late, but better late than never.

#10, least favorite) "Years of Refusal." Favorite song, "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris."

#9) "Southpaw Grammar." Favorite song, "Best Friend on the Payroll." (love the music on this song.)

#8) "Kill Uncle." Favorite song, "Sing Your Life."

#7) "Ringleader...." Favorite song, (a tie) "You Have Killed Me" and "The Father Who Must Be Killed."

#6) "You Are the Quarry." Favorite song, "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?"

#5) "Maladjusted." Favorite song, "Ammunition."

#4) "Your Arsenal." Favorite song, "Seasick, Yet Still Docked."

#3) "World Peace...." Favorite song, "Smiler With Knife."

#2) "Viva Hate." Favorite song, "Bengali in Platforms."

#1, my favorite Morrissey album) "Vauxhall & I." Favorite song, "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself."

And Viva Hate first...unless we are allowed to list Bona Drag...than its gets complicated. I think I am consistent on those two

It's funny the title track on Maladjusted is one of my favorite Morrissey solo songs. I was super happy to see him play it live on the 2012/2013 tour. One of my favorites. The album as a whole...I don't know...there are tracks I like, some quite a lot, but other all it just seems to be missing something. More so than any of his other albums. I also oftentimes feel like I need to go back and give it another chance.

And Viva Hate first...unless we are allowed to list Bona Drag...than its gets complicated. I think I am consistent on those two

It's funny the title track on Maladjusted is one of my favorite Morrissey solo songs. I was super happy to see him play it live on the 2012/2013 tour. One of my favorites. The album as a whole...I don't know...there are tracks I like, some quite a lot, but other all it just seems to be missing something. More so than any of his other albums. I also oftentimes feel like I need to go back and give it another chance.

I do understand how you feel like the album seems to be missing something. Sometimes "Maladjusted" seems to journey into a black hole. I don't like "Sorrow Will Come in the End" at all. The lyrics in "Ambitious Outsiders" are much, much too dark for me. I like the music in the song, but the lyrics are so devoid of any semblance of humanity, that I can't listen to it. I can listen to a song like "Jack the Ripper," with its disturbing lyrics, and still really enjoy it. (Well, the phenomenal music really helps me love that song.) However, the lyrics in "Ambitious Outsiders" just drown the soul in horror and hopelessness. In my opinion, those are the worst lyrics Morrissey has ever written in a song. It makes me mad too because I really like Alain's music that is showcased, but I can't listen to it.

The way you feel about "Maladjusted," is how I feel about "Years of Refusal." I like several of the songs on it, but just feel like its really missing something. It's funny, I've been telling myself I need to dust it off, and give it another chance. (The same way you have in regards to "Maladjusted.") Hopefully, soon I will.

Oh yeah, I remember you always have "Viva Hate" at the top of your list, and often written about your love for "Bona Drag." "Bona Drag" is magnificent! It would be #3 on my list, slightly ahead of "World Peace...." It was fantastic that Morrissey decided to include "Yes I Am Blind" on his American Spring tour. I hope when he gets back to touring that he keeps it in the set.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Strangeways Here We Come
2. Meat Is Murder
3. The Queen Is Dead
4. Viva Hate
5. Years Of Refusal
6. The Smiths
7. Vauxhall and I
8. Your Arsenal
9. Quarry
10.World Peace

Hello Solo, it's been a while. Nice to see you're still ticking over.

1. Maladjusted
Favourite Song: Alma Matters

2. Vauxhall & I
Favourite Song: Why Don't Ya Find Out For Yaself

3. Ringleader Of The Tormentors
Favourite Song: You Have Killed Me

4. Viva Hate
Favourite Song: Late Night, Maudlin Street

5. Years of Refusal
Favourite Song: Something Is Squeezing My Skull

6. Southpaw Grammar
Favourite Song: Reader Meets Author

7. Your Arsenal
Favourite Song: National Front Disco OI OI

8. You Are the Quarry
Favourite Song: I Have Forgiven Jesus

9. Kill Uncle
Favourite Song: The one after 'There's A Place In Hell For Me & My Friends'

I'm still unsure where the new one sits.

1. Maladjusted

2. Vauxhall & I

4. Viva Hate

5. Years of Refusal

6. Southpaw Grammar

7. Your Arsenal

8. You Are the Quarry

9. Kill Uncle

Shit list, wouldnt mind but your song choices are shit too. You should never come back here. Bye

1. Maladjusted

2. Vauxhall & I

4. Viva Hate

5. Years of Refusal

6. Southpaw Grammar

7. Your Arsenal

8. You Are the Quarry

9. Kill Uncle

E.N. AHX swastika avatar + NFD fave song = white supremacist?

I began to listen to Morrissey when Intreresting Drug was released, I already had all The Smiths albums as well as Viva Hate.

1. Vauxhall and I - despite two songwriters, probably his most coherent album. I like every song and its progression.
2. World Peace is None of Your Business - despite the title track and probably because I did not expect much from him anymore and he never sang that well.
3. Viva Hate - even though I usually stop after Suedehead.
4. Ringleader of the Tormentors - even though I stop after Life is a Pigsty.
5. You are the Quarry - probably would have been number 2 if nively produced, despite How can anybody ...
6. Your Arsenal - I like it, despite the opening and You're the one for me (so lazy), but I don't understand why he is so acclaimed.
7. Kill Uncle - I remember my disppointment when it was published, it turned into love and I still believe it is really underated, by Morrissey to begin with.
8. Years of Refusal although When Last I Spoke to Caroll is one of,my favourite Morrissey songs.
9. Southpaw Grammar - I am not sure what Morrissey had in mind, I am not too sure about the result, but I still liste, to it from time to time.
10. Maladjusted - I never listen to it, but I love Trouble loves me and I am probably one of the few who enjoys Roy's Keen.

E.N. AHX swastika avatar + NFD fave song = white supremacist?

No certainly not. AHX was a film I quite liked when I made this profile in my younger years, the Avatar just stuck.

Shit list, wouldnt mind but your song choices are shit too. You should never come back here. Bye

Which part upset you the most? :'( Are you the new solo troll?

I do understand how you feel like the album seems to be missing something. Sometimes "Maladjusted" seems to journey into a black hole. I don't like "Sorrow Will Come in the End" at all. The lyrics in "Ambitious Outsiders" are much, much too dark for me. I like the music in the song, but the lyrics are so devoid of any semblance of humanity, that I can't listen to it. I can listen to a song like "Jack the Ripper," with its disturbing lyrics, and still really enjoy it. (Well, the phenomenal music really helps me love that song.) However, the lyrics in "Ambitious Outsiders" just drown the soul in horror and hopelessness. In my opinion, those are the worst lyrics Morrissey has ever written in a song. It makes me mad too because I really like Alain's music that is showcased, but I can't listen to it.

The way you feel about "Maladjusted," is how I feel about "Years of Refusal." I like several of the songs on it, but just feel like its really missing something. It's funny, I've been telling myself I need to dust it off, and give it another chance. (The same way you have in regards to "Maladjusted.") Hopefully, soon I will.

Oh yeah, I remember you always have "Viva Hate" at the top of your list, and often written about your love for "Bona Drag." "Bona Drag" is magnificent! It would be #3 on my list, slightly ahead of "World Peace...." It was fantastic that Morrissey decided to include "Yes I Am Blind" on his American Spring tour. I hope when he gets back to touring that he keeps it in the set.

That's really funny, because I was going to cite Ambitious Outsiders as one of the prime songs on Maladjusted I did not like (I had somehow successfully blocked Sorrow Will Come in The End from my memory). I've never really noticed the lyrics--which is odd for a Morrissey song that's usually one of the most noticeable elements for me--I just could not get beyond the music. But I'm glad you like it. Wide To Receive, Trouble Loves Me, and Maladjusted are all great tracks, but I don't know why--I just can't get into Maladjusted. I can't describe it, but it's like the way you feel about "Years of Refusal"--something is just missing.

Viva Hate was the very first Morrissey solo album I bought and I still remember that day. I had been looking for it (on vinyl) for sometime and was living in NYC as part of a school program. I was looking at places that sold vinyl in the city and I noticed that one of them had a picture of their store online and faintly in the background I could see a copy of Viva Hate. I left immediately and took the subway over. I was certain it would not still be there, but there was a copy. I don't think it was the same one I saw online, but that's hardly relevant. And I just found every song to be perfect. I remember to having to listen to Alsatian Cousin twice in a row.

I used to listen to the first four Smiths studio albums in a row (not like in one sitting, but over a period of time I would play them consecutively). I don't really do that anymore, because quite frankly Hatful of Hallow is my favorite and adding that and Louder than Bombs would just make it too long and drawn out of an affair. However, at a certain point I started adding in Viva Hate. I know I had other Morrissey solo stuff at the time--at least Your Arsenal--but Viva Hate was the only Morrissey solo album I ever did that with. And I don't know how to explain it, but it just fit. It felt like it went with the other four albums in a way that I don't believe any other Morrissey solo album does.

Viva Hate always struck me as Morrissey's best album and I always am surprised to see that I am in the minority here on that one.

1. Your Arsenal
2. World Peace Is None Of Your Business
3. Southpaw Grammar
4. Viva Hate
5. Years Of Refusal
6. You Are The Quarry
7. Maladjusted
8. Ringleader of the Tormentors
9. Vauxhall And I
10. Kill Uncle

Back