Your ONE wish for the new album

Great points, as always. I did like Years in that it had the feeling of a live record, with Morrissey giving it his all on the vocals. Definitely would've swapped out one of those rawkers for My Dearest Love.

Interesting point about working in Boz' studio, but Morrissey has never been DIY type and never will be. He likes the "legitimacy" of record company backing too much.
It would be cool if he did at least try it once for a b-side or something.

I of course want Alain back, too, but with his career going well I'm worried he won't even contribute demos. In any case, I'm holding out for a great guitarist in the studio.

Like many, I would like to see a better variety of soundscapes with perhaps a more pastoral, acoustic feel - something that tunes into his unique sense of "Britishness" again. Years of Refusal felt like "Southpaw lite," with too many jacked up rockers - even though the coda was far too long, "You Were Good In Your Time" felt like a palliative after so much RAWK.

I feel there is something missing with Alain or Gary Day not present in the studio, too. I would like to see what an album would be like if he wrote the songs with Alain, Boz, and maybe opened the field to one or two others. Then, record with Alain, Boz, and a whole new cast of characters at the other chairs. I long to hear what he would come up with if he isolated himself in Boz's studio in Portugal - just let the relaxed, unhurried feel flow through the process.

Nice thread King. I feel that if Morrissey is to release a new album it potentially could be his last. Therefore it is important that the album is of a high standard.

For so long I have wanted Morrissey to stop using Boz, Jessie and the other faceless musicians of this band. "Years of Refusal" was a good album. Some good songs but not great. The disappointing aspect of it is all the songs sound very much at the same loud tempo. If it's played loud and fast therefore it sounds ok. I concur 100% with you in wishing Morrissey would return to that early sound of his of "Viva Hate" and "Bona Drag". The Englishness of this sound combined with a softer more well rounded and thought out production suits Morrissey to a tee. The pub rock of Boz and they boys has had its time. If there was a new album with the same tub thumping, loud is good sound that to me would mean that no-one really cared about the album. I'm sure Stephen Street knows many many talented session musicans who would feel privileged to come in and record with Morrissey.

What's sure is that the album needs a hit. A cracking intelligent witty three minute pop song. "That's How People Grow Up" missed the goal by yards.

I just feel like it's not the 90s anymore - the light, chorus-y Street production had its day just as much as the rockabilly/pub rock/faux-glam material did. Morrissey needs to do something completely new that he's never done before to remain relevant, and it feels to me like that's the one thing he would never do :D

. In any case, I'm holding out for a great guitarist in the studio.
maybe people should when storming the stage instead of hugging morrissey take the guitar and show morrissey their skills.
combined with being at least remotely attractive might seal the deal,:D

Last edited:
Although Morrissey has never mentioned it (?) a lot of string instruments' strings are made from catgut or the intestinal walls of animals. Possible reason Morrissey avoids real string sections?

I don't think so, it's only ancient string instruments, generally used for philological concerts or recordings which are made from real gut, most of strings in modern orchestras are made of synthetical materials. I have studied baroque cello for a while and I used gut strings, but don't spread the new, otherwise Morrissey won't call me to play cello in his next album...:crazy::p

Morrissey won't listen!

I used to hope for something different every time, Bernard Butler/Brain Eno and such but I don't expect anything at this stage of his career...i just hope he writes some great lyrics again.

Last edited:
I'd like it to be alot softer sounding. ROTT AND YOR where hard and aggressive sounding. Theye were good though. An album along the same lines as vauxhall and I would be great.

an albums with songs with his voice only and piano ..that would be heaven...or at least one song like it.

is boz (being next to jesse the main musical songwriter )able to play the piano?
well maybe gustavo is allowed to write a song?
if even a drummer is allowed to contribute why not a keyboard player..i say even cause i always have this one joke in the back of my mind i heard once:"what are the last words of a drummer?"Hey guys i did write a song for the band!":p
which is kind of a mean joke...
cause i really really like spencers contributions.
but drummers in bands arent wildely appreciated for contributions normally, eh?
or is gustavo the tour keyboard(/electric piano player) not avaiable for recordings?
well...roger joseph manning jr. played keyboards on YOR

Last edited:
I like the acoustic idea. I don't want symphonies and choirs because I think he's pretty good at doing rock and roll and grandma can get her own music.

That's actually very funny.

But...don't forget how many grandmas these days were teenagers in the late 60s. The whole concept of grandma will soon change in the collective consciousness forever!

I'll relegate my wishlist for the new LP to actual possibilities rather than crazy talk, like Jesse leaving. I mean that'd be great, but I think he's here for the long haul.:tears:

So...my hopes/wishes for the new album are:

-definitely have Street produce and/or co-write.

-to get away from the super heavy rock and roll pop-punk Finn sound. But...I also wouldn't want to hear Interesting Drug 2011...because even though I love that early, light-and-bright sound of his old days, I think that
a) the new band can't play that stuff
and
b) I think these days it would sound false coming from him, stylistically. I really I think he should return to his mid 90s sound, like Vauxhall and Sunny and Boxers. Except this time, produce it in a way that does the music justice.

And...I guess that's it. It's not like he's gonna put anything out that is radically different. He sticks with what he knows, which is generally good, but...I think we all know pretty much what to expect. Let's just hope the songs are better this time.

I'd also like to mention a point made in a recent thread by Viva Hate, where he suggested that the new LP will have much greater impact as a whole if the new songs are not played live in advance, or if they are, then only minimally so. I think that's key. I think this album will be much better received if we get to hear it with no teasers other than the lead-off single.

One wish. Hmm. Can I wish for more wishes? Ah, good, many thanks.

Of Morrissey's music I particularly enjoy the songs 'Maladjusted' and 'The Teachers Are Afraid Of The Pupils'; I'd like to hear a long, darkly poetic track in a similar style, perhaps with an orchestral backing (Marr helped with the Inception soundtrack, didn't he? That worked quite well...). 'Life is a Pigsty' was on its way there, I think, but it doesn't have the same sharp edge.

Also, something intelligent and witty without trying to be politically scathing, and maybe something to rival, or at least match, the personal reflection of 'Speedway'. If this ends up being his last album of original music, I'd love for it to have some songs harking back stylistically to the music of The Smiths; perhaps just one or two direct lyrical quotations (just as a shot portion of 'Hand in Glove' makes an appearance at the end of 'Pretty Girls Make Graves') or something musically along the lines of 'How Soon Is Now'.

I'd love for the words "I'm just bigmouth striking again" to be included somewhere. That'd be fab.

Perhaps I'm wishing too heavily.

A new band. I've nothing against the band he has at all, I just think a complete change in musicians could only be a good thing. After all, you can almost predict how things will sound now.

I agree a new sound would be cool but I think there is a lot of range in the Boz/Alain records and his willinginess to bring in more keyboards shows he can really get any sound he wants. I'm always looking for new sounds and new musical and lyrical ideas. Of course, Kill Uncle was a unique sound but it's not very good in the eyes of many many people. (I do note that Mark Nevin did say that what they had done seemed like good working demos and Moz released them as the finished product so I will not blame the lineup for not having a chance to finish the songs).

Although Morrissey has never mentioned it (?) a lot of string instruments' strings are made from catgut or the intestinal walls of animals. Possible reason Morrissey avoids real string sections?

Actually, most are made of steel or nylon...gut strings have long been a rarity.

an albums with songs with his voice only and piano ..that would be heaven...or at least one song like it.

is boz (being next to jesse the main musical songwriter )able to play the piano?
well maybe gustavo is allowed to write a song?
if even a drummer is allowed to contribute why not a keyboard player..i say even cause i always have this one joke in the back of my mind i heard once:"what are the last words of a drummer?"Hey guys i did write a song for the band!":p
which is kind of a mean joke...
cause i really really like spencers contributions.
but drummers in bands arent wildely appreciated for contributions normally, eh?
or is gustavo the tour keyboard(/electric piano player) not avaiable for recordings?
well...roger joseph manning jr. played keyboards on YOR

Boz played keyboards and various instruments touring with Edwyn Collins until March this year.

However, I'm not very keen on your idea.

Morrissey should venture Elton John / Billy Joel / Ben Folds territory?

Hope not.

Back
Top Bottom