Your ONE wish for the new album

King Leer

Leering since '97
Whether Morrissey is working on a new record now or not (Boz said no on Facebook), he's sure to go into the studio later this year.

If you had to make ONE wish for this album's sound, lyrics, personnel etc., what would it be? Preferably positive responses, only because they're more interesting (i.e. stuff like "No Jesse!" isn't that helpful. Ahem...)

For me, it'd be a return to the production sound of Viva Hate/Bona Drag. If Stephen Street is at the controls, even better.

I'd like a sonic shift in some direction. A largely acoustic album perhaps. Or an LP of Scott Walker-type ballads. Or experimental I'd Love To-esque soundscapes.

I'd certainly like to hear some new Morrissey material with a big (real life) string section backing him. Perhaps a new producer like Nigel Godrich. (Although as he is said to put his acts through the mill a little bit during recording, I doubt he'd be very suited to Morrissey...)

A return to the sounds of viva hate/bona drag, as these fit morrissey's voice perfectly, would be great if street would return as producer.

and get the coolest member of any morrissey band, ALAIN back. Although this is very unlikely :rolleyes:

there was a thread where i posted abou it..but it cant find it anymore..well i hope it still get together what i posted back then
i cyant decide for one really but the latter wish is prob very unlikely (sixties sound) bu on teh other hand the orchestra might be as unlikely as wellas for costs

i would love to hear a fiull blown orchestra record or at least at soem songs
if not orchestra well at least strings(real strings not synthetic)
and i would love if the musical director takes some inspiration from sixties
records nor copying the sound one to one but take some inspiration from it.
of course seeing him live performing is a dream which will prob not ever taking place as its too expensive...
i saw björk once performing with an orchestra plus inuit choir in an opera house ..in 2001. very impressive..
come back to camden or that joke isnt funny anymore or there is alight etc
with orchestra and i :love:
well as i said both option are prob unlikely so i justt hope he leaves the jesse tobias loud straight stompers out
and go more acoustic

Last edited:
I'd love to see moz do something a little bit different, something along the lines of an album with an orchestra on and maybe a choir. also a 2nd cd of cover versions of his favorite songs

Get rid of Jesse Tobias.

I'd like a sonic shift in some direction. A largely acoustic album perhaps. Or an LP of Scott Walker-type ballads. Or experimental I'd Love To-esque soundscapes.

I'd certainly like to hear some new Morrissey material with a big (real life) string section backing him. Perhaps a new producer like Nigel Godrich. (Although as he is said to put his acts through the mill a little bit during recording, I doubt he'd be very suited to Morrissey...)

i would love to hear a fiull blown orchestra record or at least at soem songs
if not orchestra well at least strings(real strings not synthetic)
and i would love if the musical director takes some inspiration from sixties
records nor copying the sound one to one but take some inspiration from it.
of course seeing him live performing is a dream which will prob not ever taking place as its too expensive...
i saw björk once performing with an orchestra plus inuit choir in an opera house ..in 2001. very impressive..
come back to camden or that joke isnt funny anymore or there is alight etc
with orchestra and i :love:

I'd love to see moz do something a little bit different, something along the lines of an album with an orchestra on and maybe a choir.

This. This. This.

A new band. I've nothing against the band he has at all, I just think a complete change in musicians could only be a good thing. After all, you can almost predict how things will sound now.

I like the acoustic idea. I don't want symphonies and choirs because I think he's pretty good at doing rock and roll and grandma can get her own music.

:D

No but seriously, it;s difficult to wish for one thing or another when it comes to music and the inspiration that all comes together to form an album. In that area you have to let go and allow the musicians and producers and singer do his stuff, not control, just let it flow. So I can never answer this question or even critique an album. All albums exist the way the do for a specific reason. It may not apply to your listening sensibilities at the time, but maybe it;s not supposed to. Maybe it;s an album that ages like a fine wine or an album meant to drive a car to or listen to in the evening or countless other scenarios that GOD has a hand in orchestrating, not us.

Last edited by a moderator:
All albums exist the way the do for a specific reason. It may not apply to your listening sensibilities at the time, but maybe it;s not supposed to.

exactly. I think the specific reason might not be cosmic (I think that is only true occasionally) but otherwise yes.

Although Morrissey has never mentioned it (?) a lot of string instruments' strings are made from catgut or the intestinal walls of animals. Possible reason Morrissey avoids real string sections?

An album of acoustic based songs with proper strings (no synthetic 'Camden' tosh) and piano and tasteful percussion. No plodding rockers.

I know very well, Angel Angel, I know it's gonna happen, Trouble loves me, Lost, Seasick, Changed my plea, Lifeguard sleeping, Poor education, Dear god. He's done plenty of beautiful songs in that style.

A return to sourcing lyrics from literature would also be welcome as well as some third person studies. I think the lyrical standard has slipped.

Oops. You asked for one wish. Sorry.

I specified one wish since I thought it'd be easier (and more fun) to scroll through the thread and take in everyone's hopes instead of reading long posts about what would or wouldn't be good.

Aside from the production sound, I too would like some songwriting contributions from Marr. It doesn't have to be a massive "reunion" thing, just a quietly conducted collaboration with genius results.

Like many, I would like to see a better variety of soundscapes with perhaps a more pastoral, acoustic feel - something that tunes into his unique sense of "Britishness" again. Years of Refusal felt like "Southpaw lite," with too many jacked up rockers - even though the coda was far too long, "You Were Good In Your Time" felt like a palliative after so much RAWK.

I feel there is something missing with Alain or Gary Day not present in the studio, too. I would like to see what an album would be like if he wrote the songs with Alain, Boz, and maybe opened the field to one or two others. Then, record with Alain, Boz, and a whole new cast of characters at the other chairs. I long to hear what he would come up with if he isolated himself in Boz's studio in Portugal - just let the relaxed, unhurried feel flow through the process.

I feel there is something missing with Alain or Gary Day not present in the studio, too.

I think Alain's backing vocals are solely missed these days. It was pretty noticeable on Years of Refusal since Kristopher Pooley's "harmonies" seemed like more of a distraction rather than compliment to Moz's vocal melodies. I also prefer the subtle nuances of Alain's playing in the studio, which would be a welcome change from Jesse's constant distorted mess.

A lot of people really love Solomon Walker, but I think Gary easily bests him.

Although Morrissey has never mentioned it (?) a lot of string instruments' strings are made from catgut or the intestinal walls of animals. Possible reason Morrissey avoids real string sections?

This is an interesting theory, it never crossed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom