Your one favourite lyric from each Smiths album

MyDoppelganger

Such a Nice Guy
So choose one favourite lyric from each Smiths album.

The Smiths: "I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice. You can pin and mount me, like a butterfly" (Reel Around the Fountain)

Meat is Murder: "And when I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me" (Nowhere Fast)

The Queen is Dead: "Send me your pillow... the one that you dream on... and I'll send you mine" (Some Girls are Bigger than Others)

Strangeways, Here We Come: "I'll see you somewhere, I'll see you sometime, darling" (I Won't Share You)

Louder Than Bombs: "If you have five seconds to spare, then I'll tell you the story of my life..." (Half a Person)

Re: Your one favourite lyric from each Smiths album.

If you cite "Londer than bombs" you should cite "Hatful of hallow" - and "World won't listen" too.

If you cite "Louder Than Bombs" I don't think you have to cite "World Won't Listen" too - they were released about the same time and LTB includes all of WWL except for a couple of lines in SOAW. The reverse doesn't hold, since LTB has more tracks than WWL. But I agree - you have to talk about HOH. Just my opinion.

This was difficult, so I am actually cheating a bit and choosing two lyrics from each, in no particular order of preference. I've added specific reasons where I felt like it, but most of them I just love for some instinctive, abstract reason, or because they are just so evocative of time, place, and emotion.

The Smiths- "I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice. You can pin and mount me like a butterfly"
OR
"And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey, the sadness in your beautiful eyes. Oh, your untouched, unsoiled wondrous eyes. My life down I shall lie."
Any lyric from either RATF or THTRTC, really. Both gorgeous songs.

Meat is Murder- "And when I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me"
OR
"A boy is stabbed, and his money is grabbed, and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine" I love the urgency that rhyme of "stabbed" and "grabbed", and the whole rhythm of the line, gives it when sang. I love the second part too, with that evocative simile.

The Queen Is Dead- "Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes, hemmed in like a boar between arches"
I have explained my thoughts about this elsewhere, but it's worth reiterating I think- I love the pun on "boar", implying that the royal family are, indeed, crashing bores.
OR
"And when you want to live, how do you start, where do you go, who do you need to know?"

Strangeways Here We Come- "I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck. You're just the same as I am- what makes those people feel happy leads us headlong into harm. So in my bedroom in those ugly new houses I danced my legs down to the knees, but me and my true love will never meet again"
OR
"This story is old, I know, but it goes on"

Hatful of Hollow- "Others conquered love, but I ran. I sat in my room and I drew up a plan"
OR
"I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"

Louder Than Bombs- "But you know where you came from, you know where you're going, and you know where you belong. You said I was ill, and you were not wrong"
OR
"When you cycled by, here began all my dreams- the saddest thing I've ever seen. And you never knew how much I really liked you, because I never even told you, oh, and I meant to. Are you still there, or have you moved away?"

Last edited:

This was difficult, so I am actually cheating a bit and choosing two lyrics from each, in no particular order of preference.

"And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey, the sadness in your beautiful eyes. Oh, your untouched, unsoiled wondrous eyes. My life down I shall lie.

Yay! Another HTRTC fan!
Completely off the cuff -

The Smiths - I'm here and here I'll stay.
HOH - I'm the most inept that ever stepped
Meat is Murder - I smoke because I'm hoping for an early death and I need to cling to something
TQID - I know it's over, and it never really began, but in my heart it was so real
Strangeways - what makes most people feel happy leads us headlong into harm
Louder than Bombs - I was bored before I even began

Last edited:

This was difficult, so I am actually cheating a bit and choosing two lyrics from each, in no particular order of preference. I've added specific reasons where I felt like it, but most of them I just love for some instinctive, abstract reason, or because they are just so evocative of time, place, and emotion.

The Smiths- "I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice. You can pin and mount me like a butterfly"
OR
"And when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey, the sadness in your beautiful eyes. Oh, your untouched, unsoiled wondrous eyes. My life down I shall lie."

Meat is Murder- "And when I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me"
OR
"A boy is stabbed, and his money is grabbed, and the air hangs heavy like a dulling wine" I love the urgency that rhyme of "stabbed" and "grabbed", and the whole rhythm of the line, gives it when sang. I love the second part too, with that evocative simile.

The Queen Is Dead- "Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes, hemmed in like a boar between arches"
I have explained my thoughts about this elsewhere, but it's worth reiterating I think- I love the pun on "boar", implying that the royal family are, indeed, crashing bores.
OR
"And when you want to live, how do you start, where do you go, who do you need to know?"

Strangeways Here We Come- "I walked a pace behind you at the soundcheck. You're just the same as I am- what makes those people feel happy leads us headlong into harm. So in my bedroom in those ugly new houses I danced my legs down to the knees, but me and my true love will never meet again"
OR
"This story is old, I know, but it goes on"

Hatful of Hollow- "Others conquered love, but I ran. I sat in my room and I drew up a plan"
OR
"I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"

Louder Than Bombs- "But you know where you came from, you know where you're going, and you know where you belong. You said I was ill, and you were not wrong"
OR
"When you cycled by, here began all my dreams- the saddest thing I've ever seen. And you never knew how much I really liked you, because I never even told you, oh, and I meant to. Are you still there, or have you moved away?"

The lyrics from "Back to the Old House" are beautiful,so simple but so effective.
Im filling up just reading em,how sad am I ?!!

"...But fresh lilaced moorland fields
cannot hide the stolid stench of death ..."
"Suffer Little Children"

"...I'm here and here I'll stay
together we lie, together we pray
there never need be longing in your eyes
as long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine ..."
"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

both from "The Smiths"

"...I wish I could laugh
but that joke isn't funny anymore
it's too close to home
and it's too near the bone..."
from "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"
"Meat is Murder"

"...and when you want to Live
how do you start?
where do you go?
who do you need to know?"
from "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"
"The Queen is Dead"

"...leave me alone
because I'm alright, dad..."
"...Urrgh, I think I'm in lerv"
from "A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours"
"Strangeways Here We Come"

"...But fresh lilaced moorland fields
cannot hide the stolid stench of death ..."
"Suffer Little Children"

"...I'm here and here I'll stay
together we lie, together we pray
there never need be longing in your eyes
as long as the hand that rocks the cradle is mine ..."
"The Hand That Rocks The Cradle"

both from "The Smiths"

"...I wish I could laugh
but that joke isn't funny anymore
it's too close to home
and it's too near the bone..."
from "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"
"Meat is Murder"

"...and when you want to Live
how do you start?
where do you go?
who do you need to know?"
from "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side"
"The Queen is Dead"

"...leave me alone
because I'm alright, dad..."
"...Urrgh, I think I'm in lerv"
from "A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours"
"Strangeways Here We Come"
I Agree

THE SMITHS

I dreamt about you last night
And I fell out of bed twice

(Reel Around the Fountain)

MEAT IS MURDER

Please excuse me from gym
I've got this terrible cold coming on
He grabs and devours
He kicks me in the showers
Kicks me in the showers
And he grabs and devours

(The Headmaster Ritual)

THE QUEEN IS DEAD

Send me the pillow
The one that you dream on
And I'll send you mine

(Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others)

STRANGEWAYS HERE WE COME

The story is old, I know
But it goes on

(Last Night I dreamt That Somebody Loved Me)

Extra tracks :

HATFUL OF HOLLOW

A boy in the bush is worth two in the hand
I think I can help to get through your exams

(Handsome Devil)

THE WORLD WON'T LISTEN

I was bored before I even began

(Shoplifters of the World, Unite)

Last edited:
The Smiths/Hand In Glove:

And if the people stare
Then the people stare
Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care

Meat Is Murder
/I Want The One I Can't Have:

I want the one I can't have
And it's driving me mad
It's written all over my face

The Queen Is Dead
/The Queen Is Dead:

She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

Strangeways, Here We Come/Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before:

Nothing's changed
I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to, my love

Hatful Of Hollow
/This Charming Man:

Why pamper life's complexity
When the leather runs smooth
On the passenger seat?

Louder Than Bombs
/Ask:

So, if there's something you'd like to try
If there's something you'd like to try
ASK ME - I WON'T SAY "NO" - HOW COULD I ?

The Smiths:
"ceiling shadows shimmy by
and when the wardrobe towers like a beast of prey
there's sadness in your beautiful eyes"
- from The Hand that rocks the cradle
^ It was agony choosing just a small part of that song; the whole thing is exquisitely beautiful. It's poetry put to music. :love:

Hatful of Hollow:
"vivid and in your prime
you will leave me behind"
- from These things take time
(Close runner-up: "she could have been a poet or she could have been a fool" from This night has opened my eyes)

Meat is Murder:
"you shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
- from How soon is now
^ Seems cliched, but these words have been carved into my consciousness since I was 11 years old. HSIN will always be very special to me.

The Queen is Dead:
"life is very long when you're lonely"
- from the title track

Strangeways, here we come:
"they said:
'there's too much caffeine
in your blood stream
and a lack of real spice
in your life'"
- from A rush and a push and the land is ours

The World Won't Listen:
"And if I seem a little strange