Your latest Morrissey/Smiths buy

Re:

Congratulations Dave well worth collecting, the latest looks brand new.

Alas, the calculator is covering up a 2 inch rip (which I'd seen in a photo) but this won't be noticeable in a frame. Some of my others are mint and others have folds and or blemishes, maybe I need to continue collecting until all are mint... I might need to sell some spares to generate some cash...

Dave

Dave/others,

how do you authenticate the promo posters? They go for decent amounts and with modern media etc it seems possible they could be pretty well reproduced. Some tees also go for decent money and it must be possible to reproduce these also. I know we are not talking Monets but even they are reproduced and fool folk. Whats the acid test. I've thought about buying a few to frame, but knowing they are the real deal is obviously important.

Cheers

Re:

If we got married, I'd be entitled to half of your collection right? Does it work like that in Australia as well?
LOL! Not if I make you sign a pre-nup. ;)

Very nice Aly. Your collection must be impressive by now
I´m looking for those Aussie 7" as well. Do you know how rare they are.
I once bougth this 7" made in Australasia version but I´m not sure it was released with that company sleeve. Do you or anybody else know that?

View attachment 14358
They don't seem to come up too often, but I don't think they're ultra-rare, or at least they're not the sort of rarity that tends to be highly sought-after (so you can usually get them for fairly reasonable prices). Our Frank and Piccadilly Palare seem to be the most common ones - I've seen both of those several times in the past year or so. As for the Interesting Drug 7" in your pic, I don't think that would have been its original EMI sleeve, as the others are a different style (just varying in colour), but then again, I've never seen that particular single's Aussie 7" at all before except in a picture sleeve...

By the way, congrats on your Aussie Ask 12"! Such a lovely item, that one.

I've not bought anything for months. Although I did buy an Aussie Stop Me 12" a few weeks ago but returned it because of the poor condition it was in. Then this came up for sale last week....

Demonstration, promotional publishing CD book - very impressed with the condition and quality.
iphone%2520038.jpg
iphone%2520039.jpg

Dave
Very nice indeed, Dave! I'd still love to get my hands on a copy of this one myself too... :)

An exciting Discogs find from a couple of weeks ago: YATQ on cassette! I never even knew it existed before, but it's an official release, from Russia.

yatq_russiacs.jpg

Also, the Japanese "Super Twins" 2-CD set, and Southpaw Grammar reissue CD-R promo:

supertwins.jpg

southpawgrammar2009_promocdr.jpg

Re:

Oh Aly, love that cassette......I have the Russian Cd of YATQ .
Cheers Moz

Dave/others,

how do you authenticate the promo posters? They go for decent amounts and with modern media etc it seems possible they could be pretty well reproduced. Some tees also go for decent money and it must be possible to reproduce these also. I know we are not talking Monets but even they are reproduced and fool folk. Whats the acid test. I've thought about buying a few to frame, but knowing they are the real deal is obviously important.

Cheers

To be honest, I've not come across many bootleg / counterfeit posters - although I'm not convinced that my Louder Than Bombs is 100% (it's difficult to tell because this poster is so different from all the others in terms of design, size and paper). I've heard of other collectors buying posters they think are fake but these are low numbers.

I'm not sure how much of a market there is to go to the trouble of printing off lots of these posters - couldn't be done on a pc and printer, would need to be professionally done, so would need to be high numbers of print run to justify the set up costs, this would flood the market and destroy the price (and profits for the counterfeiter).

Every now and then a seller crops up who has lots of copies of the same poster for sale, but usually has a plausible story, and the prices have been really low - see how cheap copies of I Started Something.... are nowadays (about £30) because one ex-record shop found a box full in the attic a couple of years ago, believable story given how little the band would have been promoted since the band had split before the single was released.

Dave

The postman arrived late today, but I guess it was worth the wait. :D

Ouija Board, Ouija Board - US CD

Suedehead re-release - UK CD-R

Rank - Canadian cassette (center, compared to UK and US releases)

'On this glorious occasion...of the splendid defeat.'

Welcome Back I.R., nice to see you around here.
Cheers Moz

Good to see you back IR - it's been quiet without you.

Hope you are well and that your collection has been growing.

Dave

Greatest Hits - Australian cd (top left) arrived yesterday morning.

Again very impressive Mr Irregular Regular. I need a few of those.
Nice to see you back on the "Colletors Corner"

I just got these:

Moz "Alma Matters" UK digi
Smiths " The Boy With" Canadian with Grey lettering
Moz "Viva Hate" German edition promo box

DSC_9411.jpg

I bought an interesting reference CD from someone who used to work in promotions at Sanctuary Records - it contains all the live B-sides for the 'I just want to see the boy happy' singles, lovely quality, and with a bit of extra intro/outro dialogue. Not much to look at, but worth it for the actual content, so I snapped it up. :)

monitormixes.jpg

The seller also very kindly included as an extra gift, a signed IHFJ CD single - I'm not even close to being an expert on Moz autographs, but considering the source, I'm assuming for now that it's legit.

ihfj_signedcd.jpg

Also: Russian 'You are the quarry' CD, and German/EEC 'Interesting Drug' 7"

yatq-russiacd_interestingdrug-germany7.jpg

And 'What difference does it make?' UK CD single, which finally completes my subset of CD singles released on the Rough Trade label. :)

rt-cdsingles.jpg

I bought an interesting reference CD from someone who used to work in promotions at Sanctuary Records - it contains all the live B-sides for the 'I just want to see the boy happy' singles, lovely quality, and with a bit of extra intro/outro dialogue. Not much to look at, but worth it for the actual content, so I snapped it up. :)

monitormixes.jpg

The seller also very kindly included as an extra gift, a signed IHFJ CD single - I'm not even close to being an expert on Moz autographs, but considering the source, I'm assuming for now that it's legit.

ihfj_signedcd.jpg

Also: Russian 'You are the quarry' CD, and German/EEC 'Interesting Drug' 7"

yatq-russiacd_interestingdrug-germany7.jpg

And 'What difference does it make?' UK CD single, which finally completes my subset of CD singles released on the Rough Trade label. :)

rt-cdsingles.jpg

Very nice. Love the monitormixes. I wish I knew your source for the Sanctuary years. I love those acetates. I am still looking for a few, like this one which I have never seen.

Take care
Darby

Nice item Aly - don't suppose you are in a position to share these tracks? I assume they are tracks that aren't otherwise available?

monitormixes.jpg

I call 'fake'! [insert green-eyed-monster smiley here...]

ihfj_signedcd.jpg

Dave

A few weeks ago someone was asking about Aussie 7"s in record company sleeves, I just received a copy of EILS in the post yesterday.
This is my collection as of today, I believe I am only missing Interesting Drug and Sing Your Life now.

I also bought this Smiths promo last week, quite simply a thing of beauty.

Tags
the smiths vinyl
Back
Top Bottom