Your favourite Smiths single?

What is your favourite single by The Smiths?

• Hand In Glove

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • This Charming Man

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • What Difference Does It Make?

• Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

• William, It Was Really Nothing

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Shakespeare's Sister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Barbarism Begins At Home

• That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore

• The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Bigmouth Strikes Again

• Panic

• Ask

• Shoplifters Of The World Unite

• Sheila Take A Bow

• Girlfriend In A Coma

• I Started Something I Couldn't Finish

• Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me

• Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

• Total voters

gashonthenail

You will own nothing and you will be happy...
So, what is your all time favourite single released by The Smiths? Unfortunately, the poll function will only allow a maximum of 18 options - so I have only included singles released by The Smiths in the UK pre their splitting up in 1987. I also had to leave out How Soon Is Now? on the grounds that it's the one single that if people really want to vote for, they are going to notice straight away that it's not on the list and can vote for it in their comments below.
Obviously feel free to vote for How Soon Is Now? plus any singles not released in the UK, such as The Headmaster Ritual or Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others, or any single released post-1987, by stating so below. Also feel free to suggest what your top 3 would be.
But for the poll - 1 vote only!

My vote would always go to What Difference. Best single of all time.
With Last Night I Dreamt coming a close second, and This Charming Man third.

Given this is an international website, it’s got to be Some Girls are Bigger than Others.

The Boy With…for me. Stellar a-side, formidable b-sides, beautiful sleeve.

I'm going with "William..." OK cover but HSIN? and "Please, Please, Please" as b-sides... hard to beat but there are many good choices.

Last edited:
To me it’s really neck and neck between This Charming Man and William: but the latter wins.
That 12” is really a pop tour de force. William, Please Please Please and HSIN are all among their very best and most popular. If that single was the only thing they released as a group they still would be just as important, I think

The Boy With…for me. Stellar a-side, formidable b-sides, beautiful sleeve.
It is a great song. Totally unique. Sounds like nothing else. I would put Well I Wonder in that same category. And the harmonies at the end are some of Moz's best. Still, it's not my favourite single.
If I was going on the sleeve alone, it would be Charming Man. Closely followed by Shoplifters. Such a great pic of a young Elvis.

It is a great song. Totally unique. Sounds like nothing else. I would put Well I Wonder in that same category. And the harmonies at the end are some of Moz's best. Still, it's not my favourite single.
If I was going on the sleeve alone, it would be Charming Man. Closely followed by Shoplifters. Such a great pic of a young Elvis.
Totally agree regarding sleeves!

I do have to say, linking to the other thread about how you dance to Morrissey, the best Smiths or Morrissey song to dance to is definitely What Difference Does It Make? It's a dance floor filler. Great song as Boy with Thorn is, it's not the best Smiths song to dance to. Suedehead is probably the best Moz track to dance to.
Does this explain why both Morrissey and Marr are reported to dislike What Difference? It's to The Smiths what Satisfaction is to The Stones. All just a bit too 'lowest common denominator' with that very distinctive opening guitar riff?

Morrissey has stated on more than one occasion that this track is among his least favorite Smiths songs. He picked on the rock influences and the cliche lyrics in particular, saying he regretted the track the day after the record was pressed.[2]

Marr has similarly voiced his cynicism:

"It was all right. I didn't think it was a particularly strong one. [...] There was one stage where I was playing 'What Difference Does It Make?' seven or eight gigs on the trot and I didn't like the feeling. I knew that this was not why I had got involved in a band in the first place."[3]

https://smiths.fandom.com/wiki/What_Difference_Does_It_Make?

Headmaster Ritual for me, but only a single in my country I believe.

Voted Girlfriend in a Coma as I never tire of it, closely followed by The Boy With the Thorn and William.

"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I've never despised my colleagues (Morrissey said he did) - but I have worked in organisations where my face didn't fit with those who hold the power! I first heard this on a compilation 80s CD I used for exercise and it is the only Smith's music I possess.

Grabbed you by the guilded beans... EEEEEERRGGGGGGGGGGG-- THAT'S WHAT TRADITION MEANS!!!

💗
Not my favorite Smiths song but my favorite from this list.

your ‘beans’ typo is on point..

🙃

"Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now". I've never despised my colleagues (Morrissey said he did) - but I have worked in organisations where my face didn't fit with those who hold the power! I first heard this on a compilation 80s CD I used for exercise and it is the only Smith's music I possess.
I do love the fact that Moz is one of those lyricists who is determined to ensure that the language of 'pop music' is as much about feeling miserable and unhappy - as it is about feeling good about the world. And it being ok to admit that sometimes life is really hard. But doing so in a way that is also really funny too.

Headmaster Ritual for me, but only a single in my country I believe.

Voted Girlfriend in a Coma as I never tire of it, closely followed by The Boy With the Thorn and William.
Great choice. Apologies for not including it. Not my fault, as there is a limit on how many options you can have in a poll.
It is a bloody brilliant track. Released as a single in Holland only. Have always loved the cover art.

1716486517740.png

I've gone for "Panic". The older I get, the more absurd it seems that a song like that was a hit. It's just an absolute glam blast of absurd lyrical genius and to end it with the "Hang the DJ" refrain, it's just magical and brave and silly and provocative...

(Obviously so many of these others are classic singles, too...)

I do have to say, linking to the other thread about how you dance to Morrissey, the best Smiths or Morrissey song to dance to is definitely What Difference Does It Make? It's a dance floor filler. Great song as Boy with Thorn is, it's not the best Smiths song to dance to. Suedehead is probably the best Moz track to dance to.
Does this explain why both Morrissey and Marr are reported to dislike What Difference? It's to The Smiths what Satisfaction is to The Stones. All just a bit too 'lowest common denominator' with that very distinctive opening guitar riff?

Morrissey has stated on more than one occasion that this track is among his least favorite Smiths songs. He picked on the rock influences and the cliche lyrics in particular, saying he regretted the track the day after the record was pressed.[2]

Marr has similarly voiced his cynicism:

https://smiths.fandom.com/wiki/What_Difference_Does_It_Make?
I seem to recall Morrissey mentioning that he didn't like the recorded version b/c it didn't capture the live spirit of the song... or something like that (maybe someone here knows the exact quote). It appears to have been dropped in the live sets by mid-1984. Whatever the reason, it's understandable as they were debuting MiM songs by then. I was disappointed to read that they didn't like the song b/c it's one of the first Smiths songs I heard and it remains a favorite.

Back
Top Bottom