Your favorite Morrissey vocals

The Seeker of Good Songs

What is your favorite vocal in a Smiths or Morrissey song.

The entire "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is my tops and,
because I just listened to it, the way Morrissey sings the last line in "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others":
"...And I'll send you mine"

This is probably a basic answer, but mine’s gotta be It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore. The way he belts “yesterday” sends chills down my spine every time I hear it.
Come back to Camden and Wedding Bell Blues are honorable mentions, too…

This is probably a basic answer, but mine’s gotta be It’s Not Your Birthday Anymore. The way he belts “yesterday” sends chills down my spine every time I hear it.
Come back to Camden and Wedding Bell Blues are honorable mentions, too…
I forgot "Come Back To Camden", I agree. There are many.

California Son, in my opinion, has his best vocals to date. It’s over and Wedding Bell Blues are just stellar

I’ve always adored his singing on You Were Good In Your Time. Simple, perhaps, but with so much presence, warmth and depth in his voice on that particular song. Almost a coarseness to it when he sings “Let the heart rest…”. He really is an amazing torch singer.

I'm not sorry!

Another vote for the boy with the thorn in his side. The way he sings “if the don’t believe us now will they ever believe us” magical.

all you need is me,his voice is so good on this song,i could be here till midnight,smiler,ok by myself,camden,good in your time,wedding bell,im not a man,dog on a chain with its nursery rhyme flavour to his singing,kit and finally good looking man about town.

Too many to mention, but 'Dear God' is one of my all time favourites and I'm Changing my Plea to Guilty for the campness of that final flourish!

It's Not Your Birthday Anymore is his best vocal performance by a country mile.

forgot about israel,voice is superb on that.

Some Say I Got Devil
The Boy With The Thorn in His Side
I Know It’s Over
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Dear God, Please Help Me
That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before
I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish
Girlfriend In A Coma
Asleep
Late Night, Maudlin Street
To Me You Are A Work of Art

A Swallow On My Neck
I Live In Oblivion

Too many more to mention…

Last edited:
Oh man, picking my favorite Morrissey vocals is tough, but I'm giving it a shot and claim "Everyday Is Like Sunday" captures his crooning style perfectly. His voice just gets me every time.
Also, yeah, "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out" hits me always in the feels.

last night i dreamt that somebody loved me
girlfriend in a coma
the boy with the thorn in his side
come back to camden
interlude

and i agree totally with others here that the entire california son album is a vocal tour de force

simply the most beautiful voice in the history of popular music! so much of his solo material is carried by his voice alone.

I adore how he vocalises the word "mausoleum" in Kiss Me A Lot. There are thousands of other examples. "Skin Storm" is a lovely vocal performance and "My Hurling Days Are Done" is amazing. Live At Earls Court contains his best recorded performance pretty much.

It's Over
It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
You Were Good In Your Time
My Dearest Love
I'm Not Sorry
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
Well I Wonder

Back
Top Bottom