your favorite Morrissey solo lyrics

Puddle

Banned
Could be a line, or two or more. For me it really depends on what is going on in my life at the time. Currently it's...

I never wanted to kill
I am not naturally evil
such things I do
just to make myself
more attractive to you
have I failed?

At the moment

Oh, well, you punched and fell
Then you felt embarrassed
My heart goes out to you
So I offered love
And it was not required
Oh, what else can I do ?
What else can I do ?

those are good
and true
but how bout earlier one's?

And in the darkened underpass
I thought Oh God, my chance has come at last
But then a strange fear gripped me
And I just couldn't ask

"Tonight I've consumed much more than I can hold
Oh, this is very clear to you
And you can tell I have never really loved
You can tell, by the way, I sleep all day
"

Others:

"Outside there is a pain
Emotional air raids exhausted my heart
And it's safer to be inside
So, I'm changing my plea
And no one can dissuade me
Because freedom was wasted on me
"

///

"Came home late one night
Everyone had gone to bed
But, you know
No-one stays up for you
I had sixteen stitches
All around my head
"

///

"They said:
"You're just another person in the world
You're just another fool with radical views
You're just another who has maddening views
You want to turn it on its head
By staying in bed!"

I said : "I know I do"
"

///

"Leave me alone because
I was only singing
"

///

And "I'd Love To" in its entirety.

Codreanu said:
And "I'd Love To" in its entirety.

I agree...it's one of my favorite. the lyrics are short but straight to the point. and the music fits well...oh classic moz with the classic Moz music...i miss it.

Today:

I was just listening to it today in the black cab passing through Knightsbridge, it just made a perfect soundtrack. And it's also very true:

Here is London, So much for London
Home of the brash, outrageous and free
You are depressed
But you're remarkably dressed
That's all you need

there are so many but these come to mind at the moment:

"Oh, give us a drink
And make it quick
Or else I'm gonna be sick
Sick all over
Your frankly vulgar
Red pullover
Now see how the colours blend
"

every time I hear this line, it reminds me of one of the documentaries about Morrissey. The co-writer of this song, the guy from Fairground Atraction, I think, commented on it, that while they were in the studio recording this song, that when Morrissey came to this line and sang it them for the first time, they all had to contain themselves, because they all wanted to fall on the floor laughing, they enjoyed it so much.

and
"No is always easier than Yes"

and
"Rest and do nothing
'Cause it's the only thing that you do quite well
"

one more from The Smiths:
"I am the son And the heir"

This line reminds me of a snippet of an interview with Johnny Marr. Johnny was speaking that the prducer of the song sommented that when he heard the line, he assumed it was "I am the sun and the air" and said something like "oh, a song about (the elements or nature [or something like that])" But what struck me most was that the subject of this part of the interview had to do with the influence of "How Soon Is Now" and Marr's part in it, but Marr didn't comment on his composition, but it seemed he knew, whether consiously or sub-consiously, that Morrissey's lyrics were more influential than his music. That's the way I took it anyway.

Oldie but Goodie

For whether you stay
Or stray
An inbuilt guilt catches up with you

And as it comes around to your place
At 5 A.M.; wakes you up
And it laughs in your face

one more from The Smiths:
"I am the son And the heir"

This line reminds me of a snippet of an interview with Johnny Marr. Johnny was speaking that the prducer of the song sommented that when he heard the line, he assumed it was "I am the sun and the air" and said something like "oh, a song about (the elements or nature [or something like that])" But what struck me most was that the subject of this part of the interview had to do with the influence of "How Soon Is Now" and Marr's part in it, but Marr didn't comment on his composition, but it seemed he knew, whether consiously or sub-consiously, that Morrissey's lyrics were more influential than his music. That's the way I took it anyway.

That reminds me of the story about the Cocteau Twins. I could be wrong, but I remember them having a song called Road, River, Rail - about transport. The Scottish accent is wonderful thing, and I recall an interview with the band when they stated that when the title was mooted, Guthrie didn't like it because he thought it was about fishing (Rod, River, Reel).

Ok, it's just me that finds that funny then.

On a separate note, does anyone else remember Sophie & Peter Johnston from the John Peel days? Wonderful.

Peter

there are so so so many.

it's less "your favourite" and more "your current favourite" for me, so, for now, here's my current faves:

• "I've not been feeling myself tonight" [I can have both]
  • "I've never felt quite so alone, as I do right now" [Wide to receive]
  • "Papa Jack sings slow, greiving and low" [Papa Jack]
  • "You can push me off a train, i still maintain, i still maintain" [Life is a pigsty]
  • "How long since the last one, and how long, till the right one" [Last night i dreamt]
  • "You say that the day just never arrives,and it's never seemed so far away, still, I know it's gonna happen someday" [I know it's gonna happen someday]
I could say more, but you get the general idea......:)

It was only a test but she swam
Too far against the tide
She deserves what she gets
The sky became mad with stars
As an outstretched arm slowly disappears
Please don't worry
There'll be no fuss
She was nobody's nothing

In the half-light
So english, frowning
Then at midnight i
Cant get you out of my head
A disenchanted taste
Still running round

I'm driving
your girlfriend home
and she's saying
how she never chose you
"turn left", she says
so I turn left
and she says
"So how did I end up
so deeply involved in
the very existence
I planned on avoiding?"
and I can't answer
I'm driving
your girlfriend home
and she's laughing
to stop herself crying
"drive on", she says
so I drive on
and she says
"So how did I end up
attached to this person
when his sense of humour
gets gradually worser?"
and I can't tell her
I'm parking
outside her home
and we're shaking hands
goodnight, so politely

--

So poignant. Love the way he sings that tune.

"Your Boyfriend He,
Went Down on One Knee,
Well, Could It Be, He's Only Got One Knee?"

freakin' makes me laugh everytime!

Lazy Sunbather said:
So I offered love
And it was not required
Oh, what else can I do ?
What else can I do ?

This is probably my favorite of Morrissey's universal questions. For me, it's his greatest talent as a lyricist - asking beautful, giant, winking, unanswerable questions. Where you think... 'Well god, if I knew the answer to THAT, I would know everything.'

'I offered love and it was not required... what else can I do?' What can anyone EVER do, except offer love that is not required?

There are many heartrendingly unanswerable questions from The Smiths' days too of course, but since this thread is focused on his solo lyrics, here are some of my other favorite grand ones from his solo work (my all-time favorite big question already quoted above, of course):

-
Why do you come here when you know it makes things hard for me? When you KNOW, why do you come?

Well what could peace of mind be like?

Does ANYBODY feel the same way I do? [And, not one of my personal favorites, but of course there's the subsequent: And is evil just something you are, or something you do?]

So how many times will I shed a tear?

-
Those aren't, per se, my favorite solo Morrissey lyrics, but they're my favorite illustrations, from his solo work, of what I've always felt to be his greatest talent.

I've already posted my favorite solo Morrissey lines in other threads, but here they are again, and in fact they're my favorite lines ever, in any song, by any artist:

With NO REASON to hide these words I feel
And NO REASON to talk about the books I read
But still
I do.

love
math+

Last edited:
Oh my god said:
--
quote from Hairdresser on Fire
But you're remarkably dressed
That's all you need
--
Robby: i never quite knew what that line was
thanks
:)

On the album version, it's 'you're remarkably dressed, is it real?' The CD book prints it as 'But you're remarkably dressed / Is it Real?'

Live though, for sure, he does change it to 'that's all you need' pretty much every time, at least recently.

I don't know whether that told you anything you didn't already know. :)

More on the original topic, I think The Operation has some of Morrissey's best solo lyrics. People rarely talk about this song but it's an enormous favorite of mine. It's so hard for me to choose particular lines, but I guess some of the ones that have made me outright gasp the most are, 'everyone I know is sick to the tattoo of you', and that classic opening, 'you fight with your right hand - and carress with your left hand'.

love, math+

Back
Top Bottom