your favorite Beatles song

1) How anyone can objectivly say that Macca is/was less talented than Lennon shows the power the Lennon cult. Don't get me wrong, Plastic Ono Band is better than anything McCartney put out solo but that's just because McCartney was happy just to play about with pop songs rather than try to do the whole 'musical artist' thing. Lennon's guitar work is *very* basic throughout his career and his piano playing is amature standard at best. Not to mention the truely appauling bass playing on Let It Be. McCartney on the other hand was a truely inventive bass player and came up with some great orginial guitar work for the time - the solo on Taxman, for example, is McCartney.

2) 'Across the Universe' is boring as far as I'm concerned. One of Lennon's weaker tracks.

3) At no point did the Beatles ever claim to have 'invented' their sound. On the contrary there are many many many interviews where Lennon especially denounced him and the band as just ripping off Chuck Berry etc etc. Don't confuse a media creation with the band itself.

1) How anyone can objectivly say that Macca is/was less talented than Lennon shows the power the Lennon cult. Don't get me wrong, Plastic Ono Band is better than anything McCartney put out solo but that's just because McCartney was happy just to play about with pop songs rather than try to do the whole 'musical artist' thing. Lennon's guitar work is *very* basic throughout his career and his piano playing is amature standard at best. Not to mention the truely appauling bass playing on Let It Be. McCartney on the other hand was a truely inventive bass player and came up with some great orginial guitar work for the time - the solo on Taxman, for example, is McCartney.

2) 'Across the Universe' is boring as far as I'm concerned. One of Lennon's weaker tracks.

3) At no point did the Beatles ever claim to have 'invented' their sound. On the contrary there are many many many interviews where Lennon especially denounced him and the band as just ripping off Chuck Berry etc etc. Don't confuse a media creation with the band itself.

macca got loads of talent
he is just not 'a great man'
thats all...

Don't like them at all (Their early "sound" was nicked from all the artists they heard while esconsed in Germany - with much worse drumming, of course. The Merseybeat sound they pioneered is in fact early Krautrock, but they took all the credit. Then they turned into these bummed out potheads knocking out piss-poor psychedlica for annoying uni kids. The only one with any modicum of talent was Lennon, and even he was a whiney, irritating, hypocritical c***. Basically, for anyone who chooses to be a tramp as a lifestyle choice, happiness is, in my hands, a warm gun.), but "Across The Universe" is a bit different from their inherent sound and I quite like it. Still prefer Bowie and Rufus' versions, though.

you ok dazzak?

further note on Lennon vs. McCartney:

ive been having that argument with my mom
my whole life
and when i brought home my asian wife to see her in 99
one of the 1st things she said when Tina left the room was;
'You really do like Lennon more, don't you?'
and then
when Tina left me
and i went to stay with mom for a while
she said once;
'Still think Lennon is better?'
:o

1) How am I influenced by the Lennon Cult if I openly call him an irritating c***? It's clear that Lennon had at least a tiny spark of genius, whereas the rest were simply keensighted musicians in the right place at the right time. And McCartney may have been better technically, but this isn't a bloody factory. You don't reward or praise mere competence in music. Lennon made up for his lacklustre musicianship with innate talent, something his partner was always lacking.

2) Honestly, it's not that brilliant, but it's one of the best of a bad bunch.

3) Still doesn't negate the fact that, like Elvis before them (another giant turd, by the way), they stole ideas and popularised them, leaving the more talented originators behind.

1. The 'first' to do anything is always regarded as a 'geniu'/'pioneer' etc etc regardless of quality

2. If 'Macca' had had a cap popped in his ass in 1980, everyone would declare HIM the 'best' Beatle*

*Everyone knows its Ringo

1) How am I influenced by the Lennon Cult if I openly call him an irritating c***? It's clear that Lennon had at least a tiny spark of genius, whereas the rest were simply keensighted musicians in the right place at the right time. And McCartney may have been better technically, but this isn't a bloody factory. You don't reward or praise mere competence in music. Lennon made up for his lacklustre musicianship with innate talent, something his partner was always lacking.

3) Still doesn't negate the fact that, like Elvis before them (another giant turd, by the way), they stole ideas and popularised them, leaving the more talented originators behind.

You're obviously so full of shit that it's now spewing forth from your mouth. The Beatles may not have been the most talented band in the world, but they were certainly the most successful, and influential. They pioneered in so many different ways it would be impossible to list all their innovations here, but I have compiled a short list.

1) First feedback on a record (I Feel Fine)

2) First backwards guitar on a record (Tomorrow Never Knows)

3) Invention of heavy rock/metal as a genre (Helter Skelter)

4) First band to introduce using orchestras in their songs (A Day In The Life)

5) First concept album (Sgt. Pepper)

6) First mainstream band to explore any avant garde leanings whatsoever (Revolution 9)

7) First band to have an outspoken frontman (John Lennon)

8) First drummer to desist with traditional jazz style of holding drumsticks horizontally, to then holding them vertically (Ringo Starr)

9) First mainstream band to use sitar on a record (Norweigan wood)

10) First (and I think only) frontman to return an MBE (John Lennon)

(And, rather more trivially):

11) First and only band ever to smoke a spliff in the toilets at Buckingham Palace

Etc etc. If I was to read my screeds of Beatles literature I could come up with about a million other things which (musically) made them the most influential band ever. They were never the most musically gifted, but they did undeniably set a standard in British music. To deny their true greatness is to dismiss everyone who's either been consciously or subconsciously influenced by them - i.e. about 99.9% of everyone who came after them.

Last edited:
I remember an article in, i think, Record Collector, saying that anyone who totally dismisses the Beatles is just deliberatly trying to be different and cool. Even if you don't appreciate the songs (and I don't understand how anyone can claim they didn't do any good stuff at all) you must be brain dead to not realise how much they changed everything.

The Beatles were f***ing supreme, 'nuff said. Let It Be is one of my all-time favourites...My Guitar Gently Weeps, Norwegian Wood and Ticket To Ride are in there too :D

I can understand why people love the Beatles so much. I do like a lot of their music but can't 'love' them. Too much time has passed and too much has been written and too much pop culture water has passed under the bridge for anyone to 'discover' the Beatles for themselves or evaluate them critically and without prior knowledge. Some will hate them purely because they are so popular, other will love them because of their 'innovation'. The vast majority will love them because of their catchy 3 minute singles pre-Revolver.

How can you say you think Lennon had a spark of genius but also say everything he did was crap? And, speaking as a fan, I struggle to see 'innate talent' in a good 80% of his solo output and most of his post '66 Beatles work (with obvious exceptions). McCartney though is undoutably a musical genius in terms of what he can create but he decided, for whatever reason, to focus his genius on writing pop rather than more credible 'rock' music during his prime, which I'd say was around 1965-1978. Everything after 78 is a waste of time, but Lennon only really shined consistantly for brief periods from 63-66 and then again through 70-72.

I remember an article in, i think, Record Collector, saying that anyone who totally dismisses the Beatles is just deliberatly trying to be different and cool. Even if you don't appreciate the songs (and I don't understand how anyone can claim they didn't do any good stuff at all) you must be brain dead to not realise how much they changed everything.

im different and cool & lubs duh beatles
so there!

6) First mainstream band to explore any avant garde leanings whatsoever (Revolution 9)

8) First drummer to desist with traditional jazz style of holding drumsticks horizontally, to then holding them vertically (Ringo Starr)

11) First and only band ever to smoke a spliff in the toilets at Buckingham Palace

What's not to love? I would also like to add

12) First printed lyrics on an album (Sgt. Pepper)

13) First printed double A-side single (Day Tripper/We Can Work it Out)

14) First Major Organized Concert for a Cause (George Harrison/Bangladesh)

15) First worldwide televised appearance via satellite (All You Need is Love)

16) First major band to place in contract desegregated seating at concert venues

On a lesser note, 30 years before Jerry Garcia, first musical artists to have an ice cream flavor named after them (1964 -- Baskin Robins' "Beatle Nut" vanilla, chococate covered peanuts and English toffee)

Thanks for that, I forgot the 'All you need is love' satellite link - a major feat in those days!

Also, for decades, until about the 90's, they had the largest stadium audience for a concert, which was Candlestick park. They also were I think the only band ever to have about five songs in the top ten at the same time. Only a moron would dismiss their achievements.

You're obviously so full of shit that it's now spewing forth from your mouth. The Beatles may not have been the most talented band in the world, but they were certainly the most successful, and influential. They pioneered in so many different ways it would be impossible to list all their innovations here, but I have compiled a short list.

Etc etc. If I was to read my screeds of Beatles literature I could come up with about a million other things which (musically) made them the most influential band ever. They were never the most musically gifted, but they did undeniably set a standard in British music. To deny their true greatness is to dismiss everyone who's either been consciously or subconsciously influenced by them - i.e. about 99.9% of everyone who came after them.

right on! you tell him! go go!

further note on Lennon vs. McCartney:

ive been having that argument with my mom
my whole life
and when i brought home my asian wife to see her in 99
one of the 1st things she said when Tina left the room was;
'You really do like Lennon more, don't you?'
and then
when Tina left me
and i went to stay with mom for a while
she said once;
'Still think Lennon is better?'
:o

That's harsh.

Current favorite Beatles song: Tomorrow Never Knows

My favorite Beatle:
georgeharrisonsitar240oe0.jpg

…There is nothing The Smiths did that you could not look at The Beatles and say they did it first…/QUOTE]

Excellent example: Rogan's book claimed that Marr played harmonica on "Hand in Glove" hoping it would bring their first single good luck as was done on the Beatles "Love Me Do". "Love Me Do" debuted at #17, but "Hand in Glove" didn't chart as well as that. :(

Did Johnny Marr ever used a twelve string Rickenbacker on any Smiths songs? You may recall seeing the black twelve string George Harrison used in A Hard Day's Night.

I'm pretty sure he did. I could be wrong though. I'm not much of a muso but to get that Byrdsesque jingly jangly sound (Roger McGuinn) I would have thought he would have had to use a 12 string rickenbacker at some point in time.

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/interviews/marr3.html

You wouldn’t separate the guitar from the whole song.
I didn’t so much listen to these records as study them. When I was learning to play, I wouldn’t listen to the guitar player and then try to play the guitar part—I’d try to play the whole record. That was the thing that set me on fire. The guitar solo didn’t set me on fire like a kickass chorus with some strings in it and some high backing vocals. I wanted to do things that hit me—those sections of records that would explode for me. That’s why I played super-melodic and quite dramatic and tried to get some sadness out of it. I purposely bought a Rickenbacker so I wouldn’t play like a blues player. Obviously I appreciate Jimmy Page, but that wasn’t what it was about. I wanted to hear a whole Phil Spector record when I played the guitar.

And there’s no better way to do that than with a 12-string guitar and 16th notes.
It was a big sound. And it was only when the press started mentioning the Byrds that I went and checked the Byrds out. It’s kind of nuts to talk about this stuff. I only know about these things because people have told me.

Strangeways Here We Come was heavily influenced by the Beatles White Album.

Back
Top Bottom