your fave authors

how many hours a week do you read fiction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
I know we have a long had the "what are you reading" thread, but I want to know your favorite authors are, mainly those working with fiction in the form of novels, novellas and short stories.
I have here a list of my top 64? I wrote down off the top of my head to help get the ball started rolling
and then right underneath are my first 8 which I shall present with a picture of the cover of my fave book of theirs:

1. Chuck Palahniuk
Lullabycvr.jpg

changed my life, will never look at reality the same
2. Umberto Eco
FoucaultsPendulum.jpg

found in college(1st time around) already adored Foucault and the film "In the Name of the Rose"
had no idea what I was in for, love it completely, read again and again, feel priviliged to have heard Eco speak once about "semiotics"
3. William Gibson
Neuromancer_%28Book%29.jpg

another nerdy kid in junior high gave me my 1st copy, bought my 1st computer after finishing
4. J. R. R. Tolkien
FellowshipOfTheRing.JPG

It is one of the books that inspired me to read and I have read over and over
5. Philip K. Dick
Ubik%281stEd%29.jpg

If you love his short stories, but want something longer but with some terror, this is it
6. Bret Easton Ellison
AmericanPsychoBook.jpg

I think one of the most important books about "our time" at least here in America
7. Neil Gaiman
American_gods.jpg

one of those book I always give/tell people to read & if they do, they love it
8. Yukio Mishima
ConfessionsOfAMask.jpg

if you are hiding from yourself in some way, then read this book!

Albert Camus
Irving Welsh
Christopher Moore
Terry Pratchett
Bruce Sterling
William Burroughs
Neal Stephenson
Cormac McCarthy
Raymond Chandler
Ernest Hemingway
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Poppy Z. Brite
Amy Tan
Kurt Vonnegut
Vladimir Nabokov
Fyodor Dostoevsky
James Ellroy
Jan de Wetering
Haruki Murakami
Dante Alighieri
Edgar Allan Poe
Charles Dickens
George Orwell
Franz Kafka
Herman Hesse
Thomas Mann
Robert Heinlen
Joseph Heller
Mark Twain
Scott Turow
William Faulkner
Dashiell Hemmett
Joseph Conrad
John le Carre
F. Scott Fitzgerald
JG Ballard
JL Borges
HG Wells
Jules Verne
Victor Hugo
Alexander Dumas
Ray Bradbury
Jack London
Frank Herbert
Stephen King
Margaret Atwood
Dorothy Parker
Dorothy L. Sayers
Anita Loos
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Mary Shelley - yes, just based on one book, but an incredible book!
Miguel Cervantes
John Fowles
Gore Vidal
Truman Capote
Voltaire
&
Last on this list, but cerntainly not least, Oscar Wilde(a lof of his stuff was for stage, but I have mainly read it, not seen it performed, so I am making an exception here.

ps: at the last second I made it a poll to find out how much read is actually going on here...

Last edited:
Not a big fiction reader. But these are my fave authors:

George Orwell
Robin Cook
Thomas Harris
E.L. James

Just for fun, these are my fave non-fiction writers who have written at least two great books that I love:

Christopher Hitchens
Richard Dawkins
Sam Harris
Anthony Bourdain
Roger Ebert
J. Maarten Troost
Marvin Harris

Last edited:
6. Bret Easton Ellison
AmericanPsychoBook.jpg

I think one of the most important books about "our time" at least here in America. [/IMG]

It is certainly one of the most violently erotic books out there. I actually love it as well. Have you read any of his other books such as Less than Zero?

My top ten:

Stig Dagerman
Hjalmar Söderberg
Fyodor Dostoevksy
Leo Tolstoy
Boris Pasternak (Doctor Zjivago!)
Jaroslav Hasek (Swejk is the funniest book ever written)
Franz Kafka
Theodore Fontane (Effi Briest!)
Hermann Hesse
Gustave Flaubert

I know we have a long had the "what are you reading" thread, but I want to know your favorite authors are, mainly those working with fiction in the form of novels, novellas and short stories.
I have here a list of my top 60? I wrote down off the top of my head to help get the ball started rolling
and then right underneath are my first 8 which I shall present with a picture of the cover of my fave book of theirs:

8. Yukio Mishima
ConfessionsOfAMask.jpg

if you are hiding from yourself in some way, then read this book!

here.

ps: at the last second I made it a poll to find out how much read is actually going on here...

Yay , Yukio Mishima ! I did , however , find "Confessions Of A Mask" to be on the dull side. "The Temple Of the Golden Pavilion" , on the other hand , is definitely one of my favourite novels of all time. Have you had a look through that one, Robby ?

I don't read. I can't even remember the last time I finished a book. Or started one.

What's going on there ? Why the aversion ? Laziness ? Phobia ?

Neither; I just don't have time. Also it's very hard for me to stay focused on the page; my mind races and I can't concentrate.

It is certainly one of the most violently erotic books out there. I actually love it as well. Have you read any of his other books such as Less than Zero?
I have read all but his most recent book, and I almost put a pic of the cover of "Less than Zero" up there, such an L.A. book

Yay , Yukio Mishima ! I did , however , find "Confessions Of A Mask" to be on the dull side. "The Temple Of the Golden Pavilion" , on the other hand , is definitely one of my favourite novels of all time. Have you had a look through that one, Robby ?
once again, someone mentioning another book I almost put up there, yes I love "The Temple of the Golden Pavilion" I just feel that "Confessions of a Mask" informs the rest of his work is all
funny thing, nah, I was going to tell about how I first discovered his books, but an open online forum is really not the place to discuss such :p

Neither; I just don't have time. Also it's very hard for me to stay focused on the page; my mind races and I can't concentrate.
when I was high all the time(not to insinuate you are:o) I found that my mind would do that as well, yet still I read :eek:
thing is now I can re-read most of those books and its almost like I never read them before :lbf:
still, I am sure, that once back in the States, my reading will go way down, with other things to occupy my time :guitar:

Back
Top Bottom