Your Arsenal vs. Wish

I actually let a lot slide on this forum so I don't look like a complete prick. Lol.

Well, there has always been a cross over From Cure and Smiths/Morrissey fans- I always find goths being into Morrissey hilarious, yes they are allowed to be into him I just feel they miss the point. I like a few Cure songs BUT I can't take a man who looks and sounds like Robert Smith seriously. Morrissey and Ian Curtis of Joy Division have NEVER been goths. They are gothic in the old English sense but they are NOT goths..yet the goths try to claim them.
The Cure, have, always been bigger in America than in the UK thats because Americans fall for that Alice Cooper/M Manson fantasy stuff more than the British- thats not to say there aren't swaths of middle class kids dressed like a cross between the Matrix and sonic the hedgehog. The British are more concerned with reality and realism.
To write all of Morrisseys solo work off is silly in the extreme... Morrissey is a pop artist first and foremost..the Cure are more rock based. They speak a different language. If someone wants to compare the two fair enough- I'll make the tea for Morrissey, you can do Roberts trainers up. One has to look at the massive influence Smiths/Morrissey have had on culture to see Morrissey wins hands down. He has affected culture and moved on...the Cure still look and sound like they did in 1985 (which is all anyone wants)... Morrissey may not be on the journey you want him to be on BUT its his journey. I saw Robert near my home in London and at 50 he still walks around like an awful state
Morrissey has become lazy (this we all know) but he is still making great songs. As for Morrsisseys whole solo career being a below good is simply SILLY. Just play Suedehead at ANY event and watch the dance floor fill....
The following are just SOME of his classics
November Spawned a Monster
Will Never Marry
Jack The Ripper
Now My Heart is Full
Life is a Pigstye
Come Back to Camden
Alsatian Cousin
Break up The Family
Last Night on Maudlin Street
We let you know
Seasick,yet still docked
Trouble Loves me
These are just the ones the come to mind... people are harsh and unfair to Moz on here, at times. Oh well...must dash

Last edited:
I can't take a man who looks and sounds like Robert Smith seriously. Morrissey has become lazy (this we all know) but he is still making great songs.

That's unfortunate on your part because Robert Smith is a brilliant lyricist. I'm no "goth" but I've been a fan for a while now and it always makes me chuckle when people need to place a certain type of audience to an artist or group. I could care less about the image -- to me, it's all about the music. Many of Robert's songs connect with me emotionally in ways which Morrissey could never achieve, and vice versa.

Morrissey still makes great songs, but they're few and far between. The last "great" song was My Dearest Love, but much of Refusal was forgettable. The Cure haven't done much either, as their last album wasn't anything special. I think it's just the case of the well running dry for both artists after writing for nearly 30 years. In respect to Morrissey, however, he's had the the opportunity to keep things fresh over the years with different collaborators.

Last edited:
I was just being flippant- Give me some credit. Well, OF COURSE, anyone can like anything. In the case of Goths, its THEY who try to move in gangs. I said I liked some of the Cures Music. I was just saying to make out that Moz comes second to Roberts is a joke. Yes, Morrissey has made some bad songs and choices BUT I still maintain that Morrissey has more cultural worth than Robert (Robert has been touched by Moz more than the other way around). With Morrissey its about what he was/is a symbol of, just as much as the music (in a way). Yes we can say, this person has better songs,that person has a better voice, that person writes better words. With Morrissey its about the mix that makes him up.
By the way, Robert has collaborated with a number of people The Cure are constantly changing band members (like The Fall)

Ahh so it's a cure album...nah, The Cure have never made me think twice about their music. Morrissey is a lyrical genius compared to Robert Smith.

I was just being flippant- Give me some credit. By the way, Robert has collaborated with a number of people The Cure are constantly changing band members (like The Fall)

I didn't know you were being flippant, some emoticons may have helped. :)

Robert and Simon write the majority of the songs anyway, and many of the members who have come and gone over the years were previously in the band at one point or another. So it's a bit different than, say, Morrissey going totally out of the fold (and the country) in writing with people like Jesse Tobias and Michael Farrell.

Last edited:
Bone Ash

Do you find your username a bit annoying now? :p

Why would I find it annoying? Morrissey is one of my favorite artists, and always will be. All one has to do is look at the Smiths and most of his solo career for that. It's also okay to like other artists/bands just as much!

Well, there has always been a cross over From Cure and Smiths/Morrissey fans-

That's because a lot of Morrissey/Smiths fans are SO obsessed with them, they act like the only music that exists was written by Morrissey...and it's only OK to like music Morrissey approves of.

I always find goths being into Morrissey hilarious,

Like The Cure ONLY has Goth fans?! Are you even aware the band existed for many years and albums before Robert Smith ever adopted that hair and eyeliner? They were popular LONG before he went "Goth".

yes they are allowed to be into him I just feel they miss the point.

Yeah, because there is a point to Morrissey that only you understand...not being a "Goth" and all.

I like a few Cure songs BUT I can't take a man who looks and sounds like Robert Smith seriously.

Like a guy who walks around with coke bottle glasses, foot tall hair, a hearing aid, flowers sticking out of his back pocket, and has a penchant for singing like a woman and yodeling is EASY to take seriously...

Morrissey and Ian Curtis of Joy Division have NEVER been goths.

No, they've just decided to associate themselves with Nazi imagery...

They are gothic in the old English sense but they are NOT goths..yet the goths try to claim them.

I've heard you whine more about "Goths" than The Cure. Do you even know ANYTHING about The Cure other than Robert Smith wearing make up? Probably not...

The Cure, have, always been bigger in America than in the UK

That is nonsense. A simple trip to Wikipedia to look up their UK vs US album sales and chart positions ought to shut you up...then again.

thats because Americans fall for that Alice Cooper/M Manson fantasy stuff more than the British- thats not to say there aren't swaths of middle class kids dressed like a cross between the Matrix and sonic the hedgehog. The British are more concerned with reality and realism.

Is that why you all like Jedward so much?

To write all of Morrisseys solo work off is silly in the extreme...

Who did that? No one I'm aware of...

Morrissey is a pop artist first and foremost..

And he fails at that massively.

the Cure are more rock based.

And thank God for that.

They speak a different language.

Maybe you need to have your ears checked?

If someone wants to compare the two fair enough- I'll make the tea for Morrissey, you can do Roberts trainers up.

Be sure you set aside only white food for Morrissey, though.

One has to look at the massive influence Smiths/Morrissey have had on culture to see Morrissey wins hands down. He has affected culture and moved on...

Has he now? Other than being cited by a couple shit bands and Oasis (who is now a shit band), what exactly has he changed about the culture? If a lot of members of this forum are any indication, his sole contribution to culture has evidently been transforming a lot of people into brainless-namby pamby-vegetarian-depressives who turn to him when they need to make a choice in their life...it's a bit like 'Quatermass and the Pit'.

the Cure still look and sound like they did in 1985 (which is all anyone wants)...

I'm sure 98% of Morrissey fans wish they could say the same thing.

Morrissey may not be on the journey you want him to be on BUT its his journey.

Would you say the same about your child if they were a drug addict?

I saw Robert near my home in London and at 50 he still walks around like an awful state

What does that have to do with the music of The Cure?

Morrissey has become lazy (this we all know)

I had to wait THIS long into your post for you to say something correct and rational? Hmm.

but he is still making great songs.

Some yes, most no.

As for Morrsisseys whole solo career being a below good is simply SILLY.

Once again, I have no idea where you're getting this from...

Just play Suedehead at ANY event and watch the dance floor fill....

You are SO out of touch with reality.

The following are just SOME of his classics

Like I need YOU to tell ME what is good.

November Spawned a Monster

Yeah, those 40 seconds of mongoloid noises really make the song.

Will Never Marry

Boring.

Jack The Ripper

You are aware this rips off 'Boys Don't Cry' aren't you? In case you didn't know, that is a song by The Cure.

Last Night on Maudlin Street
We let you know

It would help if you actually got the song titles right...

These are just the ones the come to mind...

Thank you for sparing me a longer list.

people are harsh and unfair to Moz on here, at times.

You get what you give. You can't release songs like 'Children In Pieces' and 'I Just Want To See The Boy Happy' and expect to be praised for it...at least, not if you're sane.

Oh well...must dash

Thank Heavens. Toodles.

That's because a lot of Morrissey/Smiths fans are SO obsessed with them, they act like the only music that exists was written by Morrissey...and it's only OK to like music Morrissey approves of.

Like The Cure ONLY has Goth fans?! Are you even aware the band existed for many years and albums before Robert Smith ever adopted that hair and eyeliner? They were popular LONG before he went "Goth".

Yeah, because there is a point to Morrissey that only you understand...not being a "Goth" and all.

Like a guy who walks around with coke bottle glasses, foot tall hair, a hearing aid, flowers sticking out of his back pocket, and has a penchant for singing like a woman and yodeling is EASY to take seriously...

No, they've just decided to associate themselves with Nazi imagery...

I've heard you whine more about "Goths" than The Cure. Do you even know ANYTHING about The Cure other than Robert Smith wearing make up? Probably not...

That is nonsense. A simple trip to Wikipedia to look up their UK vs US album sales and chart positions ought to shut you up...then again.

Is that why you all like Jedward so much?

Who did that? No one I'm aware of...

And he fails at that massively.

And thank God for that.

Maybe you need to have your ears checked?

Be sure you set aside only white food for Morrissey, though.

Has he now? Other than being cited by a couple shit bands and Oasis (who is now a shit band), what exactly has he changed about the culture? If a lot of members of this forum are any indication, his sole contribution to culture has evidently been transforming a lot of people into brainless-namby pamby-vegetarian-depressives who turn to him when they need to make a choice in their life...it's a bit like 'Quatermass and the Pit'.

I'm sure 98% of Morrissey fans wish they could say the same thing.

Would you say the same about your child if they were a drug addict?

What does that have to do with the music of The Cure?

I had to wait THIS long into your post for you to say something correct and rational? Hmm.

Some yes, most no.

Once again, I have no idea where you're getting this from...

You are SO out of touch with reality.

Like I need YOU to tell ME what is good.

Yeah, those 40 seconds of mongoloid noises really make the song.

Boring.

You are aware this rips off 'Boys Don't Cry' aren't you? In case you didn't know, that is a song by The Cure.

It would help if you actually got the song titles right...

Thank you for sparing me a longer list.

You get what you give. You can't release songs like 'Children In Pieces' and 'I Just Want To See The Boy Happy' and expect to be praised for it...at least, not if you're sane.

Thank Heavens. Toodles.

I could take your post apart bit by bit- rather than miss represent as you did to mine,but I can't be mithered. I will give you the The Cure fan base argument (because you are correct on that one. They did have a bigger fan base in America at one point but I was playing fast and loose with "always" I also did write the song titles down in a fast and lazy manner and get one incorrect (these things happen and indeed it did happened).
As I sa,y I really can't be mithered to go into this in any real detail(I have to be in Camden in 40 mins). BUT-
A) The drug addict comment was trite
B) Robert ripped off Morrissey's fashion sense (to a degree at one point- beads, slightly quiffed hair etc), and the sound of Echo and the Bunnymen and Joy Division (in fact Roberts bass sounds is nothing more than a rip off of Hooks- people know and people have said so.)
C) I can't remember Moz being into Nazi gear? Also, my point was about some of the fans more than the band.
D) Oh, so Oasis are the only band who have ,mentioned Moz as an influence- you need to read up on your pop culture dear. When I said cultural influence I wasn't JUST speaking about music. Do you really think Faber and Faber or Penguin would offer fat blobby Bob a book deal? He would be lucky to get on Omnibus Press. There have been a number of books on Morrissey and The Smiths,hardly any on The Cure (in comparison), Morrisseys words have appeared as titles for a number of films and books, there is even a musical in it third or fourth year based on the words of Morrissey and Marr...not to mention his quotes appearing on Eastenders,Corrie, and Brookie (RIP). This is dear, what one calls making inroads to culture.
Must leave the house I have a bus to Camden to catch.

I could take your post apart bit by bit-

Sure you could.

rather than miss represent as you did to mine,

Who is she?

but I can't be mithered.

LOL.

I will give you the The Cure fan base argument

You may as well give me everything while you're at it.

(because you are correct on that one.

I'm correct on all of it...and you know it.

They did have a bigger fan base in America at one point but I was playing fast and loose with "always"

Maybe that was also the problem with everything else you had to say?

I also did write the song titles down in a fast and lazy manner and get one incorrect (these things happen and indeed it did happened).

Two actually.

A) The drug addict comment was trite

Was it? Either you believe in what you say or you don't...it doesn't make a difference the circumstances.

B) Robert ripped off Morrissey's fashion sense (to a degree at one point- beads, slightly quiffed hair etc),

The horror. The horror.

Robert Smith went "Goth" in 82. A year before The Smiths. So, you're wrong.

and the sound of Echo and the Bunnymen and Joy Division
The Cure was around before both of them.

(in fact Roberts bass sounds is nothing more than a rip off of Hooks

I personally think Peter Hook rips off McCartney's bass sound...you know...all that loud deep bass sound he does...it sounds nothing like anyone else!

- people know and people have said so.)

Oh, well that makes it true, I guess.

C) I can't remember Moz being into Nazi gear?

Have you only been a fan since 2004?!

Also, my point was about some of the fans more than the band.
That much is obvious...

D) Oh, so Oasis are the only band who have ,mentioned Moz as an influence- you need to read up on your pop culture dear.

No, I said Oasis was the only decent band and now they are shit. YOU need to read the posts you reply to, dear.

When I said cultural influence I wasn't JUST speaking about music. Do you really think Faber and Faber or Penguin would offer fat blobby Bob a book deal? He would be lucky to get on Omnibus Press.

I'm sure you can explain away Alan Glynn, then?

There have been a number of books on Morrissey and The Smiths,hardly any on The Cure (in comparison),

Because Cure fans aren't insane obsessives that think they have something new to say about an old subject.

Morrisseys words have appeared as titles for a number of films and books,

Only one of which is of any note...

The Cure has done this as well...I don't see you citing that now, though, do I? Of course not, because it would invalidate your point.

there is even a musical in it third or fourth year based on the words of Morrissey and Marr...

And it's stupid and not even a decent production. Any fool can make a musical...that's why there is a Spider-Man Musical and an Evil Dead Musical.

not to mention his quotes appearing on Eastenders,Corrie, and Brookie (RIP).

It's pathetic that you actually know that.

Once again, the same can be said for The Cure. When Morrissey becomes a superhero moth and saves the world from a giant robot Barbara Streisand, we'll talk. Until then, Robert Smith FTW.

sp_0112_11_v6.jpg

This is dear, what one calls making inroads to culture.

More like off-roads.

Must leave the house I have a bus to Camden to catch.

How short is this bus?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom