You Were Good In Your Time

Ryan

Notre-DAYUM!
Subscriber
Can we just take a moment to acknowledge how incredible this song is? It's YOR's "Come Back To Camden," imo. Both haven't been played live and both are as beautiful as each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes one of my favourites. what is the noise at the end that was also used as a concert entrance? I read it and can't remember, something like bombs being dropped or crematorium? Mr. Goddard did not mention what it was in Mozipedia tut tut :p

it's about someone dying. come back to camden is my favorite song from YATQ

it's about someone dying. come back to camden is my favorite song from YATQ

Come Back to Camden is my favourite Morrissey song of his entire catalogue. It even beats "I Know It's Over" in my book.

Come Back to Camden is my favourite Morrissey song of his entire catalogue. It even beats "I Know It's Over" in my book.
It's a close call between Come Back To Camden and Let Me Kiss You for me, in terms of favourite Morrissey song of all time.

It's a close call between Come Back To Camden and Let Me Kiss You for me, in terms of favourite Morrissey song of all time.

"Now My Heart is Full" is pretty spectacular, too. And "Speedway", "Lost" etc. So many gloomy ballads :p

He's definitely at his best on the slower numbers. They really emphasise what a gorgeous voice he has

"Now My Heart is Full" is pretty spectacular, too. And "Speedway", "Lost" etc. So many gloomy ballads :p

Now my 'heart is full' as well as 'Come back to Camden' are absolutely sublime songs...but my fave to be honest is 'its not your birthday anymore' from the Refusal album

Its tender at the start 'but the heart has a will of its own', booms it out further along 'all of those syrupy sentimenal things that we said', followed by the Morrissey yodel, its achingly gorgeous, the softeness, tenderness and underlying pain of his voice contrasting with the harsh lyrics shows his voice off to its full extent, anyone else feel the same way about it? I always have it on repeat....its interesting the songs we find a connect too.

Last edited:
It's far from the best song on YOR though, "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" is far superior played, althought never captures it's full potential live.

Wouldn't it be nice,if just for once,he toured playing his BEST songs?

Now my 'heart is full' as well as 'Come back to Camden' are absolutely sublime songs...but my fave to be honest is 'its not your birthday anymore' from the Refusal album

Its tender at the start 'but the heart has a will of its own', booms it out further along 'all of those syrupy sentimenal things that we said', followed by the Morrissey yodel, its achingly gorgeous, the softeness, tenderness and underlying pain of his voice contrasting with the harsh lyrics shows his voice off to its full extent, anyone else feel the same way about it? I always have it on repeat....its interesting the songs we find a connect too.

Birthday is the fans' favourite from YOR (see poll results below).
'Goove in your time' was considered the second worst song, even worse than THPGU.
What's exactly wrong with 'Goove'? Well, the fact that Moz sings 'Goove' instead of 'good', the grating use of the first person plural throughout, the irritating two minute 'ambient' section at the end, the silly line 'are you aware that you have just died?'. Obviously, some like it - and fair enough - but it's no real surprise that we've not heard it live.
_ _ _ _ _
Best song on Years Of Refusal (2009) - best to worst:
1) It's Not Your Birthday Anymore 8,36
2) Something Is Squeezing My Skull, 8,20
3) I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris 8,06
4) All You Need Is Me 7,98
5) When Last I Spoke to Carol 7,90
6) I'm OK by Myself 7,79
7) Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed 7,41
8) Black Cloud 7,28
9) One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell 7,27
10) That's How People Grow Up 7,20
11) You Were Good in Your Time 6,66
12) Sorry Doesn't Help 6,22
AVERAGE RATING: 7,53
_ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited:
I love its not your birthday anymore but he only played it once or twice on the tour and not on either of the gigs I was at (the first Liverpool gig aside of course!)

anone who wonders from where film the french dialogue stems:

Re: Question about the French dialogue on "You Were Good In Your Own Time"
It was taken from the French movie Pépé Le Moko.
(1937, feat jean gabin)
thnks to johan de witt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pépé_le_Moko

Back
Top Bottom