Morrissey Central "You Must Please Remember" (February 8, 2020)

You Must Please Remember - Morrissey Central

February 8, 2020

full

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey says it is important (to remember). So the remaining fans praise this Kirk Douglas thing like there is no tomorrow. Even if they have never seen a film featuring Kirk D. Morrissey wants to show, that he knew him in person. Cool cat, he is.
I think most people here have seen Kirk Douglas films, for f***’s sake. It’s likely half the planet has seen one. But if it suits to warp reality, for the benefit of your ego, go ahead.

I find the 'portrait' at the end curious because it reminds me a little of this:

morrisseylettertopenpalrobertmackieasldkjaflsjdf_465_608_int.jpg

and this:

morrissey-letters-scan-robert-mackie-2.jpg

and probably quite a few others. Makes me wonder whether he drew something on his letter to Kirk, and Kirk responded in kind.

Yep. Was also gonna say the same.

I think most people here have seen Kirk Douglas films, for f***’s sake. It’s likely half the planet has seen one. But if it suits to warp reality, for the benefit of your ego, go ahead.
hovis its the usual suspects,never happy.

as this letter was written in 2013, i'm pretty sure that moz had mentioned the upcoming publication of his autobiography in his own letter and maybe sent kirk douglas one copy. so the topic of their conversation was "memories" and how to deal with them biographically.

I highly doubt, that bigger parts of Morrissey's new fanbase from the last 10-15 years are familiar with the work of Kirk Douglas. The old fanbase is mainly gone. But feel free to call me irrational.

just speculating if morrissey had explained his own reasons for writing an autobiography in his letter to kirk, and if having felt "speechless" had been his, morrissey's, incentive as well, so kirk makes use of this word in inverted commas.
kirk must have been a kind and attentive reader and listener, who, in his reply, is offering a common ground to connect ('proving oneself to be able to do sth successfully' sounds like a quote from a morrissey interview)
but i'm just speculating.

Morrissey says it is important (to remember). So the remaining fans praise this Kirk Douglas thing like there is no tomorrow. Even if they have never seen a film featuring Kirk D. Morrissey wants to show, that he knew him in person. Cool cat, he is.

I think it's called paying respects, P&O. You know, courtesy kinda thing. Learn.
I'm surprised at you, to be Phranc.

I highly doubt, that bigger parts of Morrissey's new fanbase from the last 10-15 years are familiar with the work of Kirk Douglas. The old fanbase is mainly gone. But feel free to call me irrational.
Check out "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" from 1946, where he co starred with Barbara Stanwyck .
Some of us like old films, believe it or not. Most new films are the third or fourth remake of an old and far superior classic.

So this letter is related to Morrissey having pneumonia and then cancer?

Well that's really nice of Kirk to send that. If I'm reading it correctly, he's saying that he got through a real tough patch and so can you. "speechless" is in quotes btw.

Man!

Except Morrissey has NEVER had cancer.

the "very well received" at the end of the letter makes me wonder a bit though, coz it's an incomplete relative clause and it sticks out oddly i think. if i am not wrong, it should say: "which were very well received." kirk was a 90+ gentleman at that time, and this could be, but does not have to be, a proof that he typed the letter himself and not just a sloppy pa.
anyways, it seems as if the "very well received" was added after some second consideration.
so why does he deem it necessary to hint at the fact that his shows were a success?
first: he noticed that the success thing was important for moz, and he aligned himself with that.
second: he was a competitive guy and felt he had to follow suit in order not to look less successful, especially not with a younger man.
third: kind person that he is, he wanted to reassure moz that his autobiography would certainly also be "very well received" just like his, kirk's, one-man show.

You forgot something. Most importantly...

Remember that NONE of these things have ANYTHING to do with Morrissey and that he’s just trying to insert himself into a discussion on the passing of a pop-cultural icon that he fancied.
Remember that you have nothing to do with Morrissey either and yet you're on a fan site, inserting yourself into a discussion. Do you fancy him?

i like that. turns out the show was (partly?) a dialogue with his younger self...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom