You Don't Have To Feel Bad For Kristeen Young Anymore - villagevoice.com

You Don't Have To Feel Bad For Kristeen Young Anymore - The Village Voice
By Michael Alan Goldberg

Excerpt:

Artistically rejuvenated, she also finally buried the hatchet with Morrissey, who remains an ardent fan of her music and stage presence, and he invited her to open some dates for him in 2011. Since then, she's once again become his permanent opening act.

"I think it was important for me to go back. I mean, the way it ended, there was no closure in the way it ended. Personally, it was important for me to go back to sort of prove a point, like, 'I made it through it, maybe I'm better for it.' I think it was pretty apparent from the feedback that opening for him was a good fit, and it felt good to be back. He kept giving me more shows, and thats how it's kind of gone."

Young's currently working on new material--she describes one song as "real uptempo, a little rockabilly but with electronic stuff in there, too"--and will perform some of that stuff when she opens for Morrissey tonight at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. She hopes to record the new songs soon--she's aiming to issue an LP before the end of the year--and plans to play some of her own shows this year as well. "I'm not gonna lie: I'd like to headline, I'd like to have a big hit and go out on my own," she says, "but I love opening for Morrissey and we're so happy with this set-up, so we can't imagine changing it right now."

She says she's noticed a difference in the way Moz fans have been treating her this second go-around. "It's really incredible how the whole experience has turned. The audiences have become warmer towards me and more responsive, and I'm getting a lot of messages from people saying they've just now heard of me and are hearing the music for the first time and they're crazy about it."

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel more sorry for the repeat concert attendees who are tired of seeing the same opening act since 2006. Whatever your thoughts of her - positive or negative - a change would be nice. And more than just the Iggy Pop, etc, one-offs.

Yeah, feel bad for the rest of us that have to put up with her.

Well that's just heart warming.

Yeah, feel bad for the rest of us that have to put up with her.

She's just been through so much, the poor girl. Opened her mouth, said some stupid shit and was ostracized crying backstage with Ted Leo. Add to that the pain of being raised a Christian, struggling through private art school, resorting to banging her producer to stay on the scene, I mean the girl is just the epitome of strength and perseverence. I'm glad it's working out for her, she deserves to be able to do her thing with Morrissey, the set-up they planned. It's just so beautiful.

So. Should I race home now to be put to death? Or maybe a little later?

what people are 'warm to her'? Not me, well maybe the hanger ons in the front row or her FB "friends". I'm tired of her. She and Morrissey are probably the only ones "happy with this set up". She'll NEVER have a big hit and NEVER be out on her own. She's made half hearted attempts at the first and no attempts on the second. She's not even a one hit wonder.

She's horrible. I just don't get it. What a joy it was to see the Courteneers at Carnigie Hall NYC a few years back!

She's horrible. I just don't get it. What a joy it was to see the Courteneers at Carnigie Hall NYC a few years back!

She likes to point out how nurturing he is, she said it again in another interview today. They're probably f***ing. :straightface: I don't get it either.

Whatever. She got him back. :rolleyes:

We're all sick of her. I'd kill to have The Courteeners back. Hell, anyone but her. What's Phranc up to these days???????

I heard somewhere that she sells Tupperware which sort of makes me love her even more. :p I'll never forget her opening words, "I'm Phranc. With a P H and hard C!" then BLAM into the music. I was stunned.

I got to thinking about my theory that Kristeen and Morrissey are bonking. I'm kinda thinking the deal is contractual somehow. I mean she keeps saying how nurturing he is and painting this picture of how they plan their tour and whatnot, she created a facebook page of the new dates with that old totem pole pic where she's on his shoulders and he's pointing at her like she's running the show. But there's huge gaps. I mean, you know how Morrissey is very preoccupied with the concept of chart position? (A silly thing, but it's his thing, those are signs that he aligns with and finds important.) If they were mutually so supportive of each other, would she use her facebook to sing the praises of her sugar daddy ask her followers to congratulate him on his OTHER act making the #1 position? That's a slap in the face to Morrissey, he's just the chump she batted her fake eyelashes at enough times to talk him into pitying her enough to drag her around the world so she could scream at everyone and have his sycophants tell her how beautiful she is. When he postponed the tour earlier that was a tense moment for her, she might not get her nightly accolades from the barrier kiss assers that she;s so beautiful. There wasn;t a single mention of wishing Morrissey's mum well, it was "Poor me, I can;t be on stage being the amazing woman I am." But she'll use her facebook platform to drive home the point the other man in her life IS a chart topper success while spending the wad of cash Morrissey throws her on stitching together shitty costumes hoping that everyone tells her how creative she is.

So done with this fake element in Morrissey's life. Toxic.

She likes to point out how nurturing he is. They're probably f***ing. :straightface:

Jealousy can be a very destructive emotion if u allow it 2 consume u!

“Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habit.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.”

But just read the article morrizsey put up, thanks for that :thumb:
Im so glad and happy that kristeen is fianally getting the recognition she deverves!
Its been a little while coming but shes on the verge now of capturing the hearts of the entire world!
Im so happy 4 her! I KNEW she would allways make it and get there in the end! :)

Shes one of these artists that may not have the army of fans in numbers that some other artists may have, but those that she does have are simply devoted and worship the ground she walks!
Which has far greater value and meaning!!!! :)
Im more than happy 2 say im one of her fans and so are my faimily and friends!
We adore her emensley far more than we can say! :)

This is probably the very last post I will make in refference 2 kristeen young, she doesent really need my help and suport anymore, and she never did in the first place!
Her self belief in her own self worth is just incredible! Shes fantastic!!!! a wonderfull inspiration ! !!!!!:)

Kristeen young forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

My mission here is now almost complete !

But not quite...............!!!!

Last edited:

Im so glad and happy that kristeen is fianally getting the recognition she deverves!
Its been a little while coming but shes on the verge now of capturing the hearts of the entire world!
Im so happy 4 her! I KNEW she would allways make it and get there in the end! :)

Shes one of these artists that may not have the army of fans in numbers that some other artists may have, but those that she does have are simply devoted and worship the ground she walks!

This is probably the very last post I will make in refference 2 kristeen young, she doesent really need my help and suport anymore, and she never did in the first place!
Her self belief in her own self worth is just incredible! Shes fantastic!!!! a wonderfull inspiration ! !!!!!:)

Where are those quoted words from if you don't mind me asking?
If its Kristeen, its true, that is what she is like.She takes on peoples "ways". Im not saying thats bad.
Im saying saying thats how she is. You can see how she has adopted Moz's ways.

I think this tour is it for her, I hope she enjoys it. Does she still live with Tony? It doesn't matter. I guess he still writes the music for her and programs her keyboard.
Morrissey doesn't need KY to "bang". Kristeen seems hell bent on letting people think they are closer than they are-she has managed to worm her way into the Moz story but she has no understanding of it.
In the end it's what it is which is not much. She is just someone who spent time with famous people, shes lucky. Good on her

There is medicine and counceling that can help this type of "devotion" you show to KY. Seriously!

1. I like the quote you started with--its very true
2. I don't think KY has gotten the recoginiton she 'deserves' not too many like her. she may have a small following but that is all she will ever have. I sincerely doubt she will "capture the hearts of the entire world" if she hasn't done it in her 15 plus years, i doubt she ever will. Most people only know her thru morrissey, that's it and that's all. she's small time and will always remain so
3. those that worship the ground she walks on--well, they really need to get a life and get help. there is more to life than some girl who cries the poor pitiful me routine alot (remember the boy who cried wolf?--people started ingoring him and no longer believed him). her interviews are all starting to sound alike--sad sob story and how morrissey is so nurturing and shit--whatever bitch! *rolls eyes*
4. if KY wants to be taken seriously---get a manager--what happened to the one she just got and then just a quickly lost? --quit running up your own clothes--if she can afford to travel all over the place with morrissey--how about forking out some $$ and buy real stage outfits, not something that looks like a first year home ec student put together.
5. Her self belief is so so to me...she's very self depreciating (got that from Moz I guess) and that's tiresome also. we all have moments of self doubt and such, but she's been riding that train too long.

There is medicine and counceling that can help this type of "devotion" you show to KY. Seriously!

Kristeen taken seriously and getting credit-is that a joke?
The best she will ever get is "Give her a chance, shes alright". Kristeen hasn't made it.
It's fine if you like her music and you are a fan and want her to make it.
Lets not get carried away though, she is small fry singer who plays to less than 50 people,when not with Moz. Who wormed her way into Morrisseys life through her producer "friend", at a time when Morrissey f***ing past it-older,softer and losing it-lets hope he gets "it" back.
Unless Tony writes her a great album or at least song, thats it for her. Her main fans are dimwit Moz super fans.
Even most of Morrissey's fan base can't stand her.
This isn't a horrid rant, Im just amazed how deluded people can be. Without Morrissey Kristeen is nothing, with Morrissey she isn't much

Kristeen taken seriously and getting credit-is that a joke?
The best she will ever get is "Give her a chance, shes alright". Kristeen hasn't made it.
It's fine if you like her music and you are a fan and want her to make it.
Lets not get carried away though, she is small fry singer who plays to less than 50 people,when not with Moz. Who wormed her way into Morrisseys life through her producer "friend", at a time when Morrissey f***ing past it-older,softer and losing it-lets hope he gets "it" back.
Unless Tony writes her a great album or at least song, thats it for her. Her main fans are dimwit Moz super fans.
Even most of Morrissey's fan base can't stand her.
This isn't a horrid rant, Im just amazed how deluded people can be. Without Morrissey Kristeen is nothing, with Morrissey she isn't much

Very interesting points you raised here Anon! I never felt bad for her to begin with, probably not too many have, some maybe, but not many. I've never been impressed with any of Tony's productions (? is that the correct term) but then again i'm no professional music critic, just a run of the muck music fan.

I like your closing sentence...SO very true. I'll never take her seriously and will only give her a little bit of credit.

We're all sick of her. I'd kill to have The Courteeners back. Hell, anyone but her. What's Phranc up to these days???????

When Phranc opened up may 1 in the Netherlands, she said

' I'm a jewish lesbian singer'

yes , indeed the Tupperware is also what aia've heard, there was a website

What about Gallon Drunk?

maybe one of the best openers, but broke up soon

Back
Top Bottom