You Are The Quarry - If you would've done it

Looks like most people agree that Morrissey's comeback could have been so much more. He never chooses the right songs for his albums, b-sides, and singles. Just about every album from 'The Smiths' to 'Years of Refusal' could have received more critical acclaim, sold more, and increased his overall popularity if only the right songs were in their track lists. 'You Are The Quarry' had so many songs to choose from, and I can't help but wonder how some of the weaker tunes of the session made it onto the album.
Personally, I think it's unacceptable that 'Swords' is full of outstanding songs. It just shows how incompetent Morrissey can be in his song selection for his studio albums.

Oh well, he'll never learn.

But nobody can agree on which songs should have been included and, imo, some of the nominated songs (I am Two People, Teenage Dad, IHTWTWYS etc.) are only vaguely popular because they haven't been heard that much. If they had been included on an album then they would have been comfortably the weakest songs.

But nobody can agree on which songs should have been included and, imo, some of the nominated songs (I am Two People, Teenage Dad, IHTWTWYS etc.) are only vaguely popular because they haven't been heard that much. If they had been included on an album then they would have been comfortably the weakest songs.

I think we could find common ground on a sequencing that would please most critics and fans. The track listing on the album is certainly not the best one considering the songs he had to work with.

I would have put Visconti on production or maked 'YATQ naked", withtout the awful Finn's effects - come on, listen to First of the gang to die during 2002 tour and on the album, it is still good, nut it lost its magic.

I would have put Visconti on production or maked 'YATQ naked", withtout the awful Finn's effects - come on, listen to First of the gang to die during 2002 tour and on the album, it is still good, nut it lost its magic.

As much as I love You Are The Quarry, I am inclined to agree with you. Alain Whyte once said before Quarry's release that the album sounds like a cross between Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I. This was true until Jerry Finn got a hold of the songs, and thus the album sounds more like a cross between Viva Hate and Maladjusted. :squiffy:

By the way, I'm glad to know I'm not the only Visconti fan around here :thumb:

1. Irish Blood, English Heart
2. I Have Forgiven Jesus
3. Come Back To Camden
4. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
5. You Know I Couldnt Last
6. I Like You
7. Its Hard To Walk Tall When Youre Small
8. Let Me Kiss You
9. Friday Mourning
10. First Of The Gang To Die
11. The Never Played Symphonies