You Are The Quarry - If you would've done it

Anonymous1

Nobody knows me
Neader originally posted a thread like this about The Queen Is Dead, and I thought I'd see what people would do for You Are The Quarry.

Thanks for the cool idea, Neader. :thumb: I hope you don't mind me completely ripping you off :p

Replace songs with b-sides released during the era. You can not use songs that are on other studio albums and you must keep the track listing at 12.

Here are the songs you have to work with:

America Is Not The World
Irish Blood, English Heart
I Have Forgiven Jesus
Come Back To Camden
I'm Not Sorry
The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
How Could Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel
First Of The Gang To Die
Let Me Kiss You
All The Lazy Dykes
I Like You
You Know I Couldn't Last
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small
Teenage Dad On His Estate
Munich Air Disaster, 1958
Friday Morning
Never-Played Symphonies
My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
I Am Two People
Mexico
The Slums Mums
The Public Image
No One Can Hold A Candle To You
I'm Playing Easy To Get

Here's mine to start:

1) The Never-Played Symphonies
2) Irish Blood, English Heart
3) First Of The Gang To Die
4) Friday Morning
5) Come Back To Camden
6) Let Me Kiss You
7) My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
8) America Is Not The World
9) The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
10) How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
11) Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
12) I'm Playing Easy To Get

I'll just make one change.

I'll begin with 'The never played symphonies' instead of 'America is not the world' and then leave the rest of the album as it is.

No order..

IBEH
IHFJ
CBTC
TWIFOCB
HCAPKHIF
ILY
TNPS
DMFODV
TDOHE
FM
MLIASOFSG
TPI

I like ABCDEFG. :thumb:

America is not the world may not be the best choice to OPEN an album, but I love it, and I have never liked the never played symphonies. I'd really leave Quarry alone. There are some very good b-sides, like "It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small", but I really think the record works start to finish and it's not one I'd mess with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think America is Not the World may be my most hated Moz song. I'm an American, patriotic, not an ignorant "FREEDOM WOOOOO!" type of guy but more of passionate of the history of it. The fact that we now have a black president I think even makes it something to love at. And didn't Germany bring us the hamburger?

1. Irish Blood, English Heart
2. I Am Two People
3. I Have Forgiven Jesus
4. Come Back To Camden
5. I'm Not Sorry
6. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
7. Teenage Dad On His Estate
8. First Of The Gang To Die
9. Let Me Kiss You
10. All The Lazy Dykes
11. Mexico
12. Friday Mourning

I'd definitely take out America Is Not The World, I absolutely hate that track. Morrissey comes across ignorant and arrogant, I'm sure he'd be the first to moan if people in the US lumped everyone from "Up North" in to the same lot and said that everyone from Manchester shared the views of Deidre from Coronation Street.

1. Irish Blood, English Heart
2. I Am Two People
3. I Have Forgiven Jesus
4. Come Back To Camden
5. I'm Not Sorry
6. The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores
7. Teenage Dad On His Estate
8. First Of The Gang To Die
9. Let Me Kiss You
10. All The Lazy Dykes
11. Mexico
12. Friday Mourning
:guitar:

I agree but skip , ''I am 2 people'' for, how could anybody possibly know how I feel''or 'public image'

but I would've agreed for 95% for yer choice, IBEH has got a 'how soon is now'feeling, a very good song, but played to death

someday I'll regret writing this, maybe tomorrow

I'd definitely take out America Is Not The World, I absolutely hate that track. Morrissey comes across ignorant and arrogant, I'm sure he'd be the first to moan if people in the US lumped everyone from "Up North" in to the same lot and said that everyone from Manchester shared the views of Deidre from Coronation Street.

they do,chuck. ee by 'eck!
i think he'd be the first to laugh

Last edited:

I'm from America, and I think Morrissey had a pretty good handle on the overall sentiment of the country when he wrote the song, so I'm throwing out the "ignorant" remark. As for "arrogant," well, DUH! I love the line "For haven't you me with you now?" (makes the whole song worthwhile for me) both because it gives me warm fuzzies that Moz is giving himself to us and makes me laugh that he sees himself as being a wanted savior (which he is, but still, to THINK that he is.....vain vain vain [course, I love him and it's half our fault that he still believes it.])

I'd keep the twelve as is (although perhaps take America... off. It's just a bit boring) but my reason would be the nine studio b-sides make such a great album all by themselves (as on the Quarry 'Deluxe Edition')

I'm from America, and I think Morrissey had a pretty good handle on the overall sentiment of the country when he wrote the song, so I'm throwing out the "ignorant" remark. As for "arrogant," well, DUH! I love the line "For haven't you me with you now?" (makes the whole song worthwhile for me) both because it gives me warm fuzzies that Moz is giving himself to us and makes me laugh that he sees himself as being a wanted savior (which he is, but still, to THINK that he is.....vain vain vain [course, I love him and it's half our fault that he still believes it.])

this is great. it's why I like the song.

what are you doing in Fresno? Not like my little town is better, but Fresno and Bakersfield have always seemed like places to escape from as fast as possible. Maybe it's because my memories of being there I was usually riding the greyhound bus or hitchhiking. Bakersfield is worse though, especially when I had long hair. A million cowboys driving by at 90 miles per hour who would not stop to give you a ride if you were dying. By contrast Fresno seemed more urban, but generally in a bad way. At least that is the way it looks at 3am at the bus station.

1) Don't make fun of daddy's voice
2) It's hard to walk tall when you are small
3) First of the gang to die
4) Comeback to camden
5) Never-Played Symphonies
6) Let me kiss you
7) Teenage dad on his estate
8) No one can hold a candle to you
9) You know I couldn't last
10) The world is full of crashing bores
11) I have forgiven jesus
12) Irish blood, english heart

1. Never-Played Symphonies
2. Irish Blood, English Heart
3. I Have Forgiven Jesus
4. First Of The Gang To Die
5. Let Me Kiss You
6. Friday Mourning
7. I Am Two People
8. I'm Playing Easy To Get
9. Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
10. It's Hard To Walk Tall When You're Small
11. My Life Is A Succession Of People Saying Goodbye
12. Come Back To Camden

personally i like "America Is Not The World" but i think it would have been cooler as a b-side. still i like the idea of opening the album with an affront to the country you currently live in hah.

Simple really.Drop Lazy Dykes which is dirge and replace it with Never Played Symphonies.

Looks like most people agree that Morrissey's comeback could have been so much more. He never chooses the right songs for his albums, b-sides, and singles. Just about every album from 'The Smiths' to 'Years of Refusal' could have received more critical acclaim, sold more, and increased his overall popularity if only the right songs were in their track lists. 'You Are The Quarry' had so many songs to choose from, and I can't help but wonder how some of the weaker tunes of the session made it onto the album.
Personally, I think it's unacceptable that 'Swords' is full of outstanding songs. It just shows how incompetent Morrissey can be in his song selection for his studio albums.

Oh well, he'll never learn.

Back
Top Bottom