Morrissey Central "YOU’RE THAT STRETCH OF THE BEACH THAT THE TIDE DOESN’T REACH" (July 9, 2021)

Links to a Dodwell article entitled:
"“World Peace Is None Of Your Business”— A Reappraisal of Morrissey’s 2014 Album"

Regards,
FWD.

Having failed to find a way to take my records with me, or convince my kids that Morrissey’s solo work is superior to The Smiths, my selling is well underway. My pink vinyl copy of World Peace is, however, going nowhere.
I have one of those, too. And an orange one? Or was the pink just a mis-coloured orange one?

Last edited:
Yes, it would pass for orange too.
CB551B5A-19DA-4C31-A4D0-CA7683FCFB95.jpeg

I can’t remember, the ones in the picture are from the same double-LP. But I’m certain I have another one in the loft where both records are pink.
Ah, yes. I’d forgotten it’s a double LP. Naturally, I’ve never actually played it. That would be insane.

You rate it a lot higher than I would.

1. WPINOYB 1/10
2. Neal C 3/10
3. Man 3/10
4. Istanbul 3/10
5. Earth 2/10
6. Staircase 8/10
7. Bullfighter 2/10
8. Kiss me 2/10
9. Smiler 0/10
10. Kick 2/10
11. Mountjoy 0/10
12. Oboe 8/10

A whopping 34/120.

You don't like Kiss me? That's a great pop song.

She's a monomaniac; let's leave her speak on her own. By the Way the album ''World Peace'' was praised by all the hipsters, NME, Guardian, Mojo, Uncut at the time of its release. But, we were a few fans to find it, mannered, pompous, with thin uninspired tunes. The title track is one of the most unpleasant tunes of Morrissey's back catalogue. The problem is mainly due to the oily arrangements of Gustavo Manzur, a thick multi-instrumentalist ideal for rock'n'roll artists like Robbie Williams or Bryan Adams or Kiss but whose playing doesn't suit to an pop artist like Morrissey

Personally, I think this is definitely Morrissey's worse album, but then apart from the odd highlight like 'Life is a Pigsty', I am not impressed with any of his output since YATQ. Looking on the positive side, the release of this album made me reassess my avid collecting obsession with all things Morrissey which has saved me a fortune. Although I couldn't resist the pink/orange WPINOYB US vinyl and the boxset. Plus the album artwork of WPINOYB is the best looking of all the millennium releases.

Horrible record. Horrible cover (he's in ill fitting workout pants tempting a dog with a pen?) Horrible songs. Horrible lyrics. Kill Uncle thinks this record sucks.

Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom