York - York Barbican (June 25, 2011) post-show

we were stood right side facing the stage never saw any trouble, crowd around us very friendly/lively, lot of 20 year old ish female's singing along, which is not unusual at a gig, but mozz shows usually male dominated, cracking gig, and a top day in york, we got into york 3pm and headed for some pre-planned cracking pubs for a few real ale's, spot on day with good company and quality gig,

Just woken up after an epic drive back to Wales from York, arriving when it was daylight again! Absolutely brilliant gig, one of the best I've been to. Morrissey was on top form, as exhibited by his lovely wriggly hand dance moves. Really good setlist, new songs, as everyone on the tour seems to be saying, sounded a LOT better live, and I really really like them now despite not being particularly captivated after the Janice Long show. Loved Meat is Murder- I always thought I wouldn't want to hear it live because it wouldn't live up to the recorded version, but they really did it justice and the "jam" kind of bit at the end was really powerful.
As for the crowd, we were pretty much at the middle, second row. Most people were really lovely, making sure everyone could see at least a bit, taking care not to obliterate us smaller ones while still really going for it, ideal. Unfortunately, there were some total idiots there too- including the usual guy who thinks it's fine to rest his arm draped over my face completely blocking my view with his bingo wings, cheers. You see with your eyes, not your elbows, there's no need to have your arm flaccidly flopping around all the time to have a good dance! There was also an unpleasantly smug dark haired young girl who didn't even wait until Morrissey came on to rudely shove her way through right from the back to the barrier when the rest of us had been in place for about 2 hours by then to get a good view, and proceeded to give the smuggest look back at everyone when she got there. And an older woman who was having a massive go at some poor guy for being tall. I'm only 5"2, and I was stood directly behind the tall fella for a while, completely blocking my view, but one tall person usually doesn't block your view for too long. I was disgusted when she turned to me and asked if I wanted her to punch him for me to get rid of him!? Poor guy can't help being tall, and he'd been there right from the start with this old witch forcing him to let loads of people in front of him, he looked like he was going to cry at one point!

That said, there were a lot of lovely people! Thanks to the girl next to me who helped me get a couple of (hopefully) good pictures on my disposable camera without blocking anyone else. Oh, and Morrissey took two letters from the crowd too!

WTF?????????? What was she doing there?

Apparently she's a huge fan and has been spotted around before. She seemed/pretended to be envious of our red wristbands for the "floor" as she called it (I don't know whether upstairs didn't get red ones? I don't know what she was on about). She was very nice though.

Apparently she's a huge fan and has been spotted around before. She seemed/pretended to be envious of our red wristbands for the "floor" as she called it (I don't know whether upstairs didn't get red ones? I don't know what she was on about). She was very nice though.

who is she?

where were you stood mate,

Yes there was a fight! And thanks to the moron who started it, then fell backwards, whacking my wife in the face with the back of his head & elbow. I have just returned to our hotel room after over 4 hours in a&e, while she is being kept in overnight. Roll on Bradford & Grimsby, where at least we'll be seated. Getting to old for all this malarky!

A big thank you to the person who found her phone & gave us it back.

Forget Chloe - Rick Witter from Shed 7 was there!

Top night. I saw Jesse Tobias strolling around outside about an hour before the gig - but didn't pluck up the nerve to say 'hello' or '¡hola!' Good scrum in the middle at the front - sorry for the woman that fainted just behind my left shoulder (hope she is ok). I really like how some of the songs have slowed down - suits his voice these days - he puts new emphasis on some old classics. I Know It's Over was just beautiful. Two of the three new songs were well received - the Kid's a Looker (is that what it is called?) fell flat. He wore two more of the same shirts he wore at Glastonbury - a white one and a pink spotty one.

Good to meet (however briefly) Irregular Regular, BillyBudd and the legend that is JukeBoxJury.

Roll on Bradford and Leeds

Dave

Just got back from York, magic, we were involved in the fight, it was over as soon as it started, we were stood to the left of the stage, and stood it wrong, infact we were the only ones having a right time, dancing singing along to every song, whilst all around stood motionless, myself, deano and julian were happily covorting away when Young julian fell into someone who took exception, i tried to calm things down but a punch or two was thrown, it ended rather quickly. Personally the gig was great, we loved it, the balcony was a morgue, and a jobworth on the train charged us £16 extra, but thanks to a lovely young 19 yo girl from Huddersfield, and a young man from Hong Kong, the evening finished fine. morrissey still rules.

If only. The fight had two encores, after the initial fisticuffs. Pretty much half of There Is A Light accompanied it.

Did anyone else spot David Guest in York yesterday? A very loud man indeed.

We've just got back to Mancfester from York-Morrissey was fabulous!! Made reference to'Old York Dolls', said he survived Glastonbury even though he wasn't supposed to! A fight did break out at the back of the standing-I was in the balcony overlooking-it was over in a flash. Only little disappointment for me was number of people in the balcony sitting down tappping on their mobiles!! Why??? I have never been to a Morrissey concert and been surrounded by people sat down!! Oh well me and my bf danced, sang and cheered the whole way through....brilliant night!!!!!!

I was sat on the balcony quietly...and had a blast - one of the best of 9 Mozzer gigs I have seen. I don't need to be squashed, pushed, or jumping and dancing around to enjoy Moz. We all enjoy in our own way!

Did anyone else spot David Guest in York yesterday? A very loud man indeed.

My God, David Guest has gigantic buttocks, don't you think? I was stunned when he strolled by and the backend of him took several seconds longer to pass me than I expected.

Forget Chloe - Rick Witter from Shed 7 was there!

Top night. I saw Jesse Tobias strolling around outside about an hour before the gig - but didn't pluck up the nerve to say 'hello' or '¡hola!' Good scrum in the middle at the front - sorry for the woman that fainted just behind my left shoulder (hope she is ok). I really like how some of the songs have slowed down - suits his voice these days - he puts new emphasis on some old classics. I Know It's Over was just beautiful. Two of the three new songs were well received - the Kid's a Looker (is that what it is called?) fell flat. He wore two more of the same shirts he wore at Glastonbury - a white one and a pink spotty one.

Good to meet (however briefly) Irregular Regular, BillyBudd and the legend that is JukeBoxJury.

Roll on Bradford and Leeds

Dave

Chloe seems nice and has some talent- thus she will be hated on here
Dick Twitter is a JOKE . he couldn't think or fight his way out of a paper bag..Shed Seven were/Are the most awful band from the 90s- no one with taste likes them (do they?). I hear they are touring again-oh dear.

The gig at York sounded great- I was going to go to that as well.
Nice to hear most of you had fun.

Last edited:
I *thought* I'd seen Chloe Sevigny but dismissed it!. Morrissey was in fine form, the band sounded superb, Meat Is Murder was scintillating. One of the best Moz gigs I've been to.

Outstanding gig. My 4th time seeing him and almost defintiely the best.

He seemed to be loving it, which as we all know, makes a world of difference.

MORRISSEY MORRISSEY MORRISSEY!

Great gig. I've been going to see him since 2004 and it was one of the best i've seen. Being from York I know all too well about crowds at concerts in this city, reserve and often dull at times. I was standing and down on the floor it felt like your normal, pumping Moz gig but when I looked up the balcony folk, with some exceptions, looked miserable. It was annoying but then you come to expect it in York. I don't know of any band or artist who has come to York and returned again. Saying that about the balcony there was a woman stood in front of me who kept checking her Facebook on her phone. PHONES SHOULD BE BANNED AT GIGS! No photos, no videos, no internet, no phones! Other people shouldn't have your arm in their face while you take a shit, blurry picture of Morrissey who looks 2 miles away. Your brain is capable of memory you know?
Anyway sorry i've ranted a bit. It was a great gig, wonderful. Really wonderful. Some songs i've never heard live before sounded ace. I even had a cry at I Know It's Over.

Absolutely great gig from the almighty bequiffed one.. I
watched from the balcony..yes,my fellow balconeers reluctance to get into the spirit was truly disappointing,truly,truly,truly!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom