YOR vs The Bends vs The Stone Roses vs Aeroplane Over The Sea

I only know top 40 Stone Roses songs, The Bends is okay. However your connection of YOR to Aeroplane Over the Sea is very astute. I've always likened the messages of I'm OK By Myself to Two Headed Boy.

The sound of wind howling at the end and the trumpets in 'When Last I Spoke' as well as the presence of electronic noodling between a few of the songs did recall that album for me, Crystal. I quite like the thought that obviously went into packaging the songs into an album. I love Two-Headed Boy and even better, The King of Carrot Flowers parts 1-3.

Last edited:
The sound of wind howling at the end the presence of electronic noodling between a few of the songs did recall that album for me, Crystal. I quite like the thought that obviously went into packaging the songs into an album. I love Two-Headed Boy and even better, The King of Carrot Flowers parts 1-3.

The entire album is beautiful, particularly The King of Carrot Flowers 1-3. It's like Morrissey's life story hidden in this little obscure dirge-like opera.

The entire album is beautiful, particularly The King of Carrot Flowers 1-3. It's like Morrissey's life story hidden in this little obscure dirge-like opera.

It's a shame the singer had his breakdown and disappeared. Their first album was mediocre so all we have is 'Aeroplane' and the dramatic disappearance of Jeff Mangum. I'm convinced they'd have gone from strength to strength.

It's a shame the singer had his breakdown and disappeared. Their first album was mediocre so all we have is 'Aeroplane' and the dramatic disappearance of Jeff Mangum. I'm convinced they'd have gone from strength to strength.

Mmmmm. He seems to be channeling some heavy stuff. Maybe better he take care of his head at the moment. I'm so glad Morrissey never got to that point, he's stronger than a lot of "Pansy Diva" shouting idiots give him credit for.

Mmmmm. He seems to be channeling some heavy stuff. Maybe better he take care of his head at the moment. I'm so glad Morrissey never got to that point, he's stronger than a lot of "Pansy Diva" shouting idiots give him credit for.

I quite agree. Morrissey has adapted out of necessity to survive as an artist. When you read through the vitriolic abuse he's been subjected to periodically from 'National Front Disco' onwards by simple-minded leftie journalists, it's a miracle such an artistic soul has survived and prospered.

I quite agree. Morrissey has adapted out of necessity to survive as an artist. When you read through the vitriolic abuse he's been subjected to periodically from 'National Front Disco' onwards by simple-minded leftie journalists, it's a miracle such an artistic soul has survived and prospered.

When he released the lyrics to YOR there was a moment or a quote or something where he hoped that they didn't hate the lyrics, my heart went out to him. You put your soul into your work with the idea that it is going to reach a certain someone and touch them or move them but first it has to pass through this throng of criticism which you don't think about as you're baring your soul while writing. Then afterwards you realize everyone's talking about the word "puke" (ROTT) instead of the intent of the song and blah, blah, blah...I don't know how he does it.

I agree. Sadly, all the worst aspects of human nature (herd mentality, groupthink, materialism, intolerance, hatred) are immutable. And, indeed, present in abundance on this site. As you will doubtless have noted.

I agree. Sadly, all the worst aspects of human nature (herd mentality, groupthink, materialism, intolerance, hatred) are immutable. And, indeed, present in abundance on this site. As you will doubtless have noted.

Yeah. It's almost refreshing to read a real music review, even a negative one, after hearing all this. :p

The common thread tying up all four albums is that they exhibit a dream-like quality. They're all contemporary rock records with attractive sleeve-art, beautifully-crafted songs and with something to say. Each record uses language to create a somewhat abstract 'frame of reference,' which is driven by poetic storytelling.

http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/6784-neutral-milk-hotels-in-the-aeroplane-over-the-sea/

Interesting article. In regards to The Bends and the dream-like quality of it, I'd like to make the assumption or proposal that the muse Thom Yorke channels is not exactly the same as Morrissey's muse in his work, and that of Mangum, though I believe the stories to be intertwined. I find that the final track, Street Spirit, sums up the pain he experiences, coming to terms with a sort of celestial machine that is programmed not to communicate the pain of his message, but rather to harnass that pain in order to bring to light the message of the other side of the intertwined story. Frustrating and beautiful all at the same time. And this video does a fantastic job communicating a sort of 24 frame dance that exists as these stories duke it out, so to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPX3u0XJzKM

Regarding your thoughts on YOR, it looks like we agree. It moves me each and every time I play it. It's the realisation of that disaffected, middle aged punk thing Morrissey has been aiming at for quite some time now. Do you like any of the other records in the title of this thread? I had thought Morrissey was close to retirement a couple of years ago but now I want him to go on and on, like an artistic Ariston.

I'm glad we agree, there are such mixed feelings on YOR but I've actually been noticing lately it seems to be growing on a lot of people.

In response to the emboldened part, I haven't actually listened to them, but I may check them out at some point as they sound very interesting. All Stone Roses albums, right? :)

Girl - The Bends is by Radiohead
The Stone Roses is by The Stone Roses
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is by Neutral Milk Hotel

don't listen to it, though, it's crap!!! :)

listen to Grace by Jeff Buckley, one of the best ever

I enjoyed Grace but never fell in love. He has an interesting voice though.

Girl - The Bends is by Radiohead
The Stone Roses is by The Stone Roses
In The Aeroplane Over The Sea is by Neutral Milk Hotel

don't listen to it, though, it's crap!!! :)

listen to Grace by Jeff Buckley, one of the best ever

Meh, I need to expand my musical horizons anyway. :p

You are right about Grace though- it's an incredible album.

Jeff is God :)

He may well be. I didn't even love TQID on first listen. Another odd and interesting record from the same era was 'Ladies and Gentlemen' by Spiritualised. That's another I found very interesting but didn't quite grow to love.

His biggest mistake was covering 'I Know It's Over.' Never cover 'Thriller' by Jacko, 'Strawberry Fields' by the Beatles or 'I Know It's Over' by Morrissey. Unless you're on X-factor, then it's OK.

Tags
belief bored gildenstern rosenkrantz two idiots
Back
Top Bottom