YOR Lyrics -- I can't help but noticing that...

King Leer

Leering since '97
nobody is talking about them. Or very little anyway (I just noticed Mr. Reynolds' thread on "I'm OK...").

The many posters who love the album aren't quoting very much at all from the new songs and the many haters (mainly on the main page) aren't quoting what's bad about them.

Has Morrissey entered a new era where the lyrics are "part of the mix"?

Looking forward to a new wave of posts, including my own, in February when the album is released. And two more Morrissey/Whyte tracks before then!

Some of us decided not read the lyrics and download the album.
I'm going to listen when I actually buy a copy in February.

I avoid all the threads which discuss about favourite tracks etc because they simply spoil my enjoyment.

nobody is talking about them. Or very little anyway (I just noticed Mr. Reynolds' thread on "I'm OK...").

The many posters who love the album aren't quoting very much at all from the new songs and the many haters (mainly on the main page) aren't quoting what's bad about them.

The lyrics are really great. I think they may be too direct for some people, but for me it's one of the most personal albums he's ever produced. It's definitely about Morrissey in the here and now. I think maybe there are less gags than usual and Morrissey is playing it, er, straight - for once - and not using Kill Uncle style characters, jokes, and personas...

I particularly like, for instance:

"I can choke myself to please you and I can sink much lower than usual... but there's nothing I can do to make you mine"

And...

"When I said goodbye to Carol, black earth upon the casket fell. She had faded to something I always knew... to the rescue nobody ever comes."

I find the lyrics of One Day Goodbye really funny. I never listened to them properly when I heard the live version. The line about the children thinking you smell is very funny the way he delivers it.

Birthday is quite amusing too.

It's true he does deal with the same themes, but I think most good artists do, and at least his themes are the big ones, death, love, alienation. And he always adds a new twist to it.

I noticed he uses "we" and "us" a few times where I would've thought it would be singular. But he's done that before, I think.

I haven't read the lyric sheet yet, and I haven't really concentrated on the lyrics but nothing has jumped out at me yet. Oh, except for: "All of the gifts that they gave can't compare in any way to the love I am now giving to you right here, right now on the floor." That one made me a little queasy in that "explosive kegs" way.

Thanks for that. I took a quick glance (stillw ant to save something for when I read the sheet). Some gems in there, though.

I have no problem with the more "on the nose" Morrissey lyrics of recent years. We've been spoiled really -- from the early days of him mainlining poetry, to creating his own, to just telling it like it is (as only he can.)

I've seen people turn on authors for the same reason.

I didn't see any point in trying to discuss them as most people are just dismissing them already. Sometimes this site doesn't encourage people discussing Morrissey's work in depth because of the knee jerk negativity. Morrissey's hair or tatoos seem to be of more interest than his lyrics.

Here is a blog where someone listed their favourite lines on the new album:

http://itsgettingboringbythesea.blogspot.com/2009/01/10-of-best-lyrics-on-new-morrissey.html

I think the lyrics suit the music beautifully, and vice versa.

Very direct, and his singing brings such life and depth to the words. It was interesting for me to read the lyrics of the new songs first and then hear the music. (Kudos to those of you with more restraint). My first impression of the lyrics did not match the final songs. I knew they were good, but the singing in particular adds such a soulful punch.

On paper the words are like statues, quiet little sculptures. But in song they spring to life, wrap their hands around your neck, and...well....give you a good shake.

I noticed a change in energy with the ROTT b-sides. I love Human Being and Ganglord - the snarling woosh of those songs. These songs continue in that vein and yet go off in very different directions.

I know others have some quibbles, which makes me sad because I want everyone to love it as much as I do. But everyone is in a different place in their lives, it might strike them differently later.

This one was love at first listen for me.

I think the lyrics suit the music beautifully, and vice versa.

Very direct, and his singing brings such life and depth to the words. It was interesting for me to read the lyrics of the new songs first and then hear the music. (Kudos to those of you with more restraint). My first impression of the lyrics did not match the final songs. I knew they were good, but the singing in particular adds such a soulful punch.

On paper the words are like statues, quiet little sculptures. But in song they spring to life, wrap their hands around your neck, and...well....give you a good shake.

I noticed a change in energy with the ROTT b-sides. I love Human Being and Ganglord - the snarling woosh of those songs. These songs continue in that vein and yet go off in very different directions.

I know others have some quibbles, which makes me sad because I want everyone to love it as much as I do. But everyone is in a different place in their lives, it might strike them differently later.

This one was love at first listen for me.

I think you make some good points. Because of the incredible vocal delivery on many of the tracks - Birthday, I'm Okay By Myself - these lyrics demand to be heard, not read!

Wow - nicely put...

Thanks for that!

I don't usually like reading lyrics - you've just explained why

Back
Top Bottom