Yes BARDOT I mean a 'Skater Punk' I can't spell anything it's just me!!!

DOn't worry about it. I just thought a new youth culture had emerged that I knew nothing of! You made a happy woman feel very old there for a second.

Have you seen the skater punks hurtling around the South Bank? They are always nearly having me over. I swear they aim for me on purpose.

Considering the South Bank is meant to be London's cultural mecca it does look suspiciously like a f***ing carpark. Shameful!

Re: Kids still wear 'Nirvana' hodded tops today and T-shirts!!!

Re: Black baggy 'Nirvana' hodded tops/T-shirts and very baggy jeans!!

I suppose they wear DC trainers!!!

Re: Kids still wear 'Nirvana' hodded tops today and T-shirts!!!

I think it's because Nirvana were the kind of band that have gone on to transcend the particular movement they were born out of, and will continue to attract kids too young to have been caught up in the 'grunge' thing. I don't think that's quite true of, say, Pearl Jam. Like The Clash/Pistols have risen from beyond the punk label to take their place among the plain rock greats. Blur/Oasis/Pulp were the three big players in what was termed Britpop but they are probably the only ones who will go on to join the pop pantheon, whereas some of the, erm, less accomplished Britpop acts sank swiftly back to oblivion. You still see people wearing Oasis shirts - even though they haven't made a decent recent in ages.

Re: Nirvana it's like Sid Vicous was like the glamar of dying young??

Re: I personaly like 'Nirvana' and 'Radiohead' out of all that 1990s stuff.

Like The Clash/Pistols
> have risen from beyond the punk label to take their place among the plain
> rock greats.===== Yes totally Sid Vicous and Joe Strummer(who strums on guitars) are both dead like sweet Kirt Cobain.
Blur/Oasis/Pulp were the three big players in what was termed
> Britpop but they are probably the only ones who will go on to join the pop
> pantheon.=====
Don't agree and don't get that Oasis arrigant, agressive Brit-pop Mod cool Britania noncence!! NON of that lot could break America proper!!!!! 'Gorillaz' (Damon Alburn's project) just about did it in USA. Radiohead were the band that I would like to see go on!!!!!!!
And now look it's Coldplay.

Re: I personaly like 'Nirvana' and 'Radiohead' out of all that 1990s stuff.

I think Radiohead, like The Smiths, existed outside the 'genre' bubble (i.e. Britpop in RH's case), which gives them a better chance of standing the test of time, like The Smiths have done. There are loads of new young people getting into The Smiths all the time. The Manics were never part of any particular 'movement' or 'time period' either. Like the Smiths, they kind of created their own little universe, thus attracting similarly passionate fans who wanted to lose themselves in that universe. And that 'universe' wasn't specific or attached to any particular 'time', so people can still get lost in it today.

I don't like Coldplay at all, I can't stand all that bloodless, limp-wristed bleating - to me it is the anathema of rock. They are the *true* miserabilists, not Moz. They utterly lack the wryness and humour of Morrissey's lyrics, and obviously have none of the jubilance of Marr's music. I mean, the song that earned The Smiths that dogged 'miserable' tag - 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' (duh!) - actually has some hilarious lyrics and the music is almost jaunty. But anyway, I think it is a travesty, after all the fantastic bands that our country has produced, that it is Coldplay that are currently flying the flag for British music abroad. I would hate for some impressionable young American to think that is what British music is all about!
> Like The Clash/Pistols
> Blur/Oasis/Pulp were the three big players in what was termed
> Don't agree and don't get that Oasis arrigant, agressive Brit-pop Mod cool
> Britania noncence!! NON of that lot could break America proper!!!!!
> 'Gorillaz' (Damon Alburn's project) just about did it in USA. Radiohead
> were the band that I would like to see go on!!!!!!!
> And now look it's Coldplay.

Re: Nirvana it's like Sid Vicous was like the glamar of dying young??

Very true there, Andy.

I think Moz himself said that he wasn't sure if Kurt would have reached the same iconic status or whether Nirvana's music would be so revered nowadays if there hadn't been the youthful suicide. I guess nobody will ever know now. Add the Courtney relationship to that and the mythology ran way with the music a long way back.

Back
Top Bottom