Years Of Refusal Review: The Scotsman

Re: Years Of Refusal Review :The Scotsman

Right on the button.

yes, I'm sure didn't like it , we could see that from the review, and maybe it even sucks. but then, another possibility is that it is a great album and the guy just has a bad taste in music, or it's an average album and the guy still has a bad taste in music, who knows? why always keep all possible options aside? :rolleyes:

maybe the guy just didnt like it. couldnt that be a possibility? you're over analyzing this review. not everyone can be super huge Morrissey fans. maybe it really does suck. who knows.

sadly this chap is a super huge moz fan. he's reviewed tons of his albums and live shows before so it's (unfortunately) likely to be a pretty well informed view...

it should be noted that this 'review' is based simply on the one-off playback session at Pigalé nightclub; it's not a proper review based on repeated listenings.
we still await the first one of those (possibly in the new music magazines which will come out in the next couple of days or, failing that, the ones in a month's time).
the other reviews based on that session were pretty mixed but generally positive with a couple of reviewers saying that at least some of the songs showed Moz at his very best...

sadly this chap is a super huge moz fan. he's reviewed tons of his albums and live shows before so it's (unfortunately) likely to be a pretty well informed view...

LOL!!

You're so unreliable. :D

Can you provide some links?

Today's 'Times' has a look ahead to 2009's pop highlights written by Peter Paphides {the man who wrote the Roundhouse review saying that 25 years hence Moz's current band may be considered his best }. He states that 'Years of Refusal' is a "welcome throwback to the sonic pugilism of 'Your Arsenal', boasting, in 'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' and 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell', two songs to rival the best of his solo canon."
I like that phrase 'sonic pugilism'. :cool:
Funnily enough, I've been playing alot of 'Your Years of Arsenal Refusal' just lately, but it never sounds as loud on my i-pod as I remember it back in the day. Could really do with a nice juicy re-mastering. Until then, I find that I'm rediscovering the joys of 'Beethoven Was Deaf', which is basically 'Your Arsenal' on steroids (minus 'Tomorrow')
Speaking of which, I recently came across an old review of 'Beethoven Was Deaf' by Mr. Michael Bracewell, the only writer whose review of the new album I'd be interested to read. Now, this is how you write a Morrissey review...http://www.frieze.com/issue/article/beethoven_was_deaf_morrissey_live

LOL!!

You're so unreliable. :D

Hmm, good point. Men can be so fickle!
Actually, what I meant was that he has reviewed loads of Morrissey albums and concerts before. I remember seeing his name around.
However, after just listening to one play of the album, I don't think you can get a very good impression, so I'm not too worried about his views.
It does seem though that we're in for another patchy solo album. Hopefully, there will (at least) be a clutch of brilliant songs unlike the last two studio albums (in my humble)...

I´m really anxious to read the lyrics of the new song:" I´m Ok by myself"...:guitar::horny:

I can not wait to hear the album, but he is right. A reunion would be enormous. The Smiths music is far better than any of the solo stuff, although the solo stuff without ever hearing The Smiths is very strong.

It reads like he'd made up his mind before he heard the album. Probably writes exactly the same review every time Morrissey releases an album.

Yes, exactly.

Back
Top Bottom