Years of Refusal - mix question

saddave

As I listen to my Morrissey cds in chronological order again I feel moved to ask - is it just me or does this album just sound like crap? I'm not talking about the band's performance, the writing, or the singing. Just the production/mix - the sludgy, murky, bass-heavy sound. Claustrophobic, with nothing very much going in at the high end. There's a distorted drum sound 13 seconds into the first track which sort of sets the scene for the whole album. It's different to all the other Morrissey disks. Fast forward to World Peace Is None Of Your Business and check out Istanbul, Earth is the Lonliest Planet, Staircase at the University etc. I'd absolutely love to hear a remix of this album with a little more sparkle. Was there another release of this album on vinyl, or abroad, which sounded different to the original UK Polydor cd?

With Finn you couldn't get two more different albums. I hardly ever listen to YATQ but I listen to YOR quite a bit.

And that bonus 2nd disc is as close as we've gotten to the Bona Drag era sound ;)
yip, forgive someone would be in my top 5 M songs.

Last edited:
Viva Hate in my opinion at times is very experimental and very unorthodox. It’s one of the reasons I liked it so much upon first listen. You could tell they were looking to make an artistic statement, not just good songs. From the noisy distorted intro of Alsatian Cousin to the out of nowhere composition of Little Man, What Now. For me the experimentation, the unorthodox approaches, allowing the songs to kinda get lost in themselves, gives the album an edginess that Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall lack. Years of Refusal, brings the edginess back but this time in the form of heavier songs, faster tempos, heavier guitars, loud noisy production. I hope that make sense, I just feel Uncle, Arsenal, and Vauxhaux are all very “proper” albums more in line with the type of singer most think Morrissey is.
Perfect

I'm a musician and producer. I think that the mix in YOR is very nasty, they try to put it on a punk-way mixing, it is not a clear sound like WPINOYB or INADOAC, it's the post-modern punk version on Morrissey. Even when you hear I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (single version) the mix is more like You Are The Quarry. Otherwise, great album, great songs...and I trully needed in that time a special EP post-release, more closer of WPINOYB for songs like Action Is My Middle Name, The Kid's a Looker, People Are the Same Everywhere and Satellite of Love...no live version, i mean...studio good version, great songs need and deserve that.

I'm a musician and producer. I think that the mix in YOR is very nasty, they try to put it on a punk-way mixing, it is not a clear sound like WPINOYB or INADOAC, it's the post-modern punk version on Morrissey. Even when you hear I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (single version) the mix is more like You Are The Quarry. Otherwise, great album, great songs...and I trully needed in that time a special EP post-release, more closer of WPINOYB for songs like Action Is My Middle Name, The Kid's a Looker, People Are the Same Everywhere and Satellite of Love...no live version, i mean...studio good version, great songs need and deserve that.
Well said ! .. Years of refusal , world peace , you are the quarry should rebooted by a good engineer like ( Vic Anesini ) Who depends on warmth & clarity .. more dynamics .. I really recommend him & praise his works .. he's better than emily lazar .

Back
Top Bottom