Years of Refusal is utterly mediocre

Re: Who dislikes Yor

Then why don't you just post your fairly weak comment on one of the many "I can't stand YOR" threads that already exist? If you going to start a thread that covers ground already done at least put some effort into your writing.

For god's sake Moz is possibly only going to be around in the biz for 5 years and this could quite possibly be his last album. We get it. A few of you don't like it but if you could keep all your moaning to one thread that would be great! :)

I don't think people are moaning about it. At least I am not. It is basically someone telling me that a movie is worth four stars out of four and I disagree because I believe it is a sold "3"

I'm seriously nonplussed with the album, although it's hardly a surprise. I had already heard most of the tracks, and Ringleader was pretty poor and Quarry not that much better. He appears to be on a steady downward trajectory. Don't get me wrong, i still have enormous respect for the man as an artist, i'm seeing him next month, but the album is mediocre at best. I only bothered putting four songs on my MP3 player, "All You Need..", "Paris", ""..How People Grow Up", and "..Goodbye..". The rest is forgettable. I think comnparison to his earlier work is inevitable and totally justifiable. Honestly, "Early Burglary Years" was the last album he put out that I thought was really something. The new songs are rock-ier, evoking "National Front", but they seem so much less epic, less personal, etc. There isn't a single track here that matches the lyrical depth, emotion, and literary acheivement of "November Spawned a Monster", "Everyday Is Like Sunday", or "Suedehead". Hey, nobody bats 1000.

Then why don't you just post your fairly weak comment on one of the many "I can't stand YOR" threads that already exist? If you going to start a thread that covers ground already done at least put some effort into your writing.

For god's sake Moz is possibly only going to be around in the biz for 5 years and this could quite possibly be his last album. We get it. A few of you don't like it but if you could keep all your moaning to one thread that would be great! :)

:thumb::clap::highfive:

to keep it on topic, it's not one of my fav albums.

Not me, I think it's effin' marvellous...

I wonder is it an age thing, as a lot of the older members (or very old, as in me) seem to prefer it to a lot of the younger ones.

My two cents:
I didn't like YOR at the first few listens because there were just too many tracks that I'd already known - it was kind of boring. I still can't stand "Thats How People Grow Up" and "All You Need Is Me". "Black Cloud" has a great intro, but Moz's voice butchers it. However, having lived with the album for a couple of weeks now i think it's definitely a grower - it sounds extremely diverse in my ears and some songs are just brilliant ("I'm OK By Myself" is a belter of a song!). It could become a Moz classic in a few years (opposed to ROTT which was just bland bland bland...).

Not me, I think it's effin' marvellous...

I wonder is it an age thing, as a lot of the older members (or very old, as in me) seem to prefer it to a lot of the younger ones.

I'm 22; is that defined as old or young or somewhere in between?

I love it, I really love it. It keeps growing on me...there are some really majestic songs on there. You Were Good In Your Time is beautiful, one of the best things he's ever done in my opinion.

I'm 22; is that defined as old or young or somewhere in between?

I love it, I really love it. It keeps growing on me...there are some really majestic songs on there. You Were Good In Your Time is beautiful, one of the best things he's ever done in my opinion.

you're young. I think the poster was referring to "old" as people who have likely been fans from the early years and are in mid 30s or up.

I like it, mostly. There's only one song so unbearable to me I cannot listen to it, but usually a few I skip to get to the ones I like.

For me this is the worst Morrissey album, I've tried to like it even posting at a stretch what the possible virtues of each track are. I think that the production is horrendous. Listen to another disliked Morrissey album 'Kill Uncle', you can hear the instruments in their own right the double base, violins ...etc Jerry finn murdered yor by an over reliance on 'machines' synths....etc Morrisseys voice is plopped on top of the music.

It takes a good tune to rise above such 'americanised' production (madonna album sound, blink 182...etc) ..... no doubt it sounds totally different live. I'm glad Herb Alpert didn't play on it, I shudder to think what Finn would have done with his contribution. The best track is Paris. The moment there is a worthy bootleg I'm replacing yor with it. Juxtaposed on my mp3 player southpaw grammar and maladjusted, quarry, rott tracks out strip years of refusal.

In your heart of hearts do you really think that this is a great album not just in it's own right but compared with morrisseys' canon!?!

Let the pointless flame war begin.... 'the smiling children tell you that you smell'.... nuff said.

Morrisseys voice is plopped on top of the music.

Strongly disagree here. The vocals and music have never been tighter.

In your heart of hearts do you really think that this is a great album not just in it's own right but compared with morrisseys' canon!?!

My heart of hearts loves this album and consideres it a great one. It is the very best thing that Morrissey could have released in 2009. I justify this, as I have already done in another thread, by saying that Morrissey's work should be considered as a whole, not album by album.

Not me. I love it.

At first I was rather sceptical of the value of Yor; especially after reading some of the reviews. Then I listened to it and I disagreed with those bad reviews. Still I was inclined to compare YoR to Morrissey’s earlier albums until I realized I wasn’t really listening in the way it deserved to be listened to. I can see now how my comparison makes no sense since I was comparing things that are totally different. Hopefully I’ll get the chance to never make those mistakes again. I was just wasting my time.

Finally I surrendered to it and in my opinion, Yor is a marvel of perfection, and I do revere it as such. I am in love with it, which it is such a wonderful feeling that I feel sorry for those who aren’t.

I'm just not so keen.

I waited until last Monday and trotted off to HMV in Covent Garden with my tenner, not feeling particularly excited because of the reviews I had heard already from the pre-release downloaders.

Nothing excited me on first play except perhaps for "It's not your birthday anymore". I like the screw-your-eyes-up drama of it. 10 days on and I still don't feel much different about the album. It is the first time I have EVER felt that it is perhaps time to move on. Just enjoy what I have in my collection but dont get too drawn into waiting around for new stuff.

I must admit that the gig I was so looking forward to going to on 22nd May doesn't seem quite so appealing now that I have digested the album.

I'm just not so keen.

I waited until last Monday and trotted off to HMV in Covent Garden with my tenner, not feeling particularly excited because of the reviews I had heard already from the pre-release downloaders.

Nothing excited me on first play except perhaps for "It's not your birthday anymore". I like the screw-your-eyes-up drama of it. 10 days on and I still don't feel much different about the album. It is the first time I have EVER felt that it is perhaps time to move on. Just enjoy what I have in my collection but dont get too drawn into waiting around for new stuff.

I must admit that the gig I was so looking forward to going to on 22nd May doesn't seem quite so appealing now that I have digested the album.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.

The lyrics are too straight forward, they're not evocative enough.

you're young. I think the poster was referring to "old" as people who have likely been fans from the early years and are in mid 30s or up.

I like it, mostly. There's only one song so unbearable to me I cannot listen to it, but usually a few I skip to get to the ones I like.

Wow mid 30s is old? Excellent I guess I'm old then?

the teenagers who love you
they will wake up, yawn
and kill you

I can't say I really hate the album..I do like it. But it would be last on my list. I imagined it would somewhat almost sound like Ringleader. I thought that it would go towards that romantic italianesque direction of sound..but it totally wasn't. It sounded, sort of alternative, and sort of..not new. I thought the songs mostly sounded the same, and there were loud guitars in mostly. In Ringleader, it had some very slow touching songs like, "Dear God Please Help Me", "Life Is a Pigsty","At last I am Born"...ROTT was diversified in sound in my opionion..while YOR was not. But again, I still do like the album.

Tags
blind worship emma = yoda emma álainn :) emma is suspect emma purrrs emma rules! hitlercat! ilovemma respect the comtesse whaaa whaaa whaaa
Back
Top Bottom