Years of Refusal is utterly mediocre

skylark

I've been a long time fan, and it's been years now since he made an album with truly sensational songs. Vauxhill & I has to be his last great album. The More You Ignore Me, Now My Heart is Full, Lazy Sunbathers, are worth the price of admission alone. The subsequent albums had a couple stand out songs, but that's about it. I feel that Morrissey is stuck in a rut. It's seems like he is writing the same songs around two or three familiar melodies, over and over again.

When I heard the new album, I was totally unimpressed. Nothing really grabbed me. Nothing really stood out. I had to really strain to hear the "hooks". Ultimately, the best songs on this album would be the lesser songs on previous albums.

I fear the best songs are behind him.

Could this not have gone on one of the numerous YOR threads? Is your opinion really that important?

Oh, and it isn't mediocre.

Last edited:
I've been a long time fan, and it's been years now since he made an album with truly sensational songs. Vauxhill & I has to be his last great album. The More You Ignore Me, Now My Heart is Full, Lazy Sunbathers, are worth the price of admission alone. The subsequent albums had a couple stand out songs, but that's about it. I feel that Morrissey is stuck in a rut. It's seems like he is writing the same songs around two or three familiar melodies, over and over again.

When I heard the new album, I was totally unimpressed. Nothing really grabbed me. Nothing really stood out. I had to really strain to hear the "hooks". Ultimately, the best songs on this album would be the lesser songs on previous albums.

I fear the best songs are behind him.

you're obviously deaf.

Wow, didn't think I'd get anyone's underwear in a bind over my humble opinion..
LOl..

Why start a new thread then instead of putting your opinion in one of the numerous other YOR threads?

Forget it, there is no point in arguing with jackasses..
If anyone had a problem with my opinion, why not ignore the thread?

Forget it, there is no point in arguing with jackasses..
If anyone had a problem with my opinion, why not ignore the thread?

one person commented on your opinion. everyone else asked why you couldn't have just posted this in one of the other threads.

can you read?

>I've been a long time fan..
and so am I.

>and it's been years now since he made an album with truly sensational >songs. Vauxhill & I has to be his last great album. The More You Ignore Me,
I wouldn't go that far. I really like QUARRY and ROTT is ok in my opinion but definitely weaker than QUARRY.

>it. I feel that Morrissey is stuck in a rut. It's seems like he is writing the
>same songs around two or three familiar melodies, over and over again.
ACK! That was the same I thought after listening to YOR. The same frantic drums, the same staccato riffs by Jesse, all heard a thousand times before :-/

>When I heard the new album, I was totally unimpressed. Nothing really
>grabbed me. Nothing really stood out. I had to really strain to hear the
>"hooks". Ultimately, the best songs on this album would be the lesser songs >on previous albums.
Absolutely right! I can not understand how people can rate this album "amazing"??

>I fear the best songs are behind him.
I fear you are right. When Mozzer is only able to make "such" records then its better to stop recording. I don't want to hear that boring stuff...:confused:

"PARIS" is the one and only GREAT Song on YOR. What should be the next single? To be honest, no other track deserves to be putting out as a single...:sick:

And now, all you Moz Idolizers, give me your spam answers.
But deep in your hearts - you know - it's true...

Dittsche

I find Paris quite dull. Catchy chorus, but dull. Typical Radio 2 pop fodder.

Rest of the album rocks, as the kids say. Or said 20-odd years ago. 30-odd even.

>I've been a long time fan..
and so am I.

>and it's been years now since he made an album with truly sensational >songs. Vauxhill & I has to be his last great album. The More You Ignore Me,
I wouldn't go that far. I really like QUARRY and ROTT is ok in my opinion but definitely weaker than QUARRY.

>it. I feel that Morrissey is stuck in a rut. It's seems like he is writing the
>same songs around two or three familiar melodies, over and over again.
ACK! That was the same I thought after listening to YOR. The same frantic drums, the same staccato riffs by Jesse, all heard a thousand times before :-/

>When I heard the new album, I was totally unimpressed. Nothing really
>grabbed me. Nothing really stood out. I had to really strain to hear the
>"hooks". Ultimately, the best songs on this album would be the lesser songs >on previous albums.
Absolutely right! I can not understand how people can rate this album "amazing"??

>I fear the best songs are behind him.
I fear you are right. When Mozzer is only able to make "such" records then its better to stop recording. I don't want to hear that boring stuff...:confused:

"PARIS" is the one and only GREAT Song on YOR. What should be the next single? To be honest, no other track deserves to be putting out as a single...:sick:

And now, all you Moz Idolizers, give me your spam answers.
But deep in your hearts - you know - it's true...

Dittsche

nobody gives a shit about your opinion. just like nobody gives a shit about my opinion. it doesn't matter whether or not you like the album. the point is, why bother starting threads where you give your opinion? why not just add your opinion to the other threads already started about the album? i would expect the same reaction if i started a thread about how much i liked the album.

What is it with bloody vauxhall being everyones fave album? ALL of his albums are genius. Now sod off! YOR......if you bother listening to it is a very deep piece of work.

Utterly mediocre??? Harsh but....

I'm still undecided. I think the first two songs are really, really good. Vintage Moz. Black Cloud is something that Axl Rose would not have included on Chinese Democracy. Possibly. Truly an atrocity up there with Ambituous Outsiders

The singles are good, I like Carol for the pastiche element. And musically very strong, very different. And since I was born in 1975 line (me too, Carol.) A quintessential Morrissey B-side if ever there was one....

Then the album dips beyond the realms of mediocrity until Track 10 and Track 11. In fact its Shit.

However I think as a whole the album is underwhelming and if it was anyone other than dear ol' Steven who captured my heart back in the day I would probably listen to it once and think thats mediocre and never listen to it again,

Utterly mediocre??? Harsh but....

I'm still undecided. I think the first two songs are really, really good. Vintage Moz. Black Cloud is something that Axl Rose would not have included on Chinese Democracy. Possibly. Truly an atrocity up there with Ambituous Outsiders

The singles are good, I like Carol for the pastiche element. And musically very strong, very different. And since I was born in 1975 line (me too, Carol.) A quintessential Morrissey B-side if ever there was one....

Then the album dips beyond the realms of mediocrity until Track 10 and Track 11. In fact its Shit.

However I think as a whole the album is underwhelming and if it was anyone other than dear ol' Steven who captured my heart back in the day I would probably listen to it once and think thats mediocre and never listen to it again,

Thats How People Grow Up is awful, so 2 of the 3 singles are good.

Tags
blind worship emma = yoda emma álainn :) emma is suspect emma purrrs emma rules! hitlercat! ilovemma respect the comtesse whaaa whaaa whaaa
Back
Top Bottom