Years of Refusal is utterly brilliant

I simply love It's not your birthday and I am OK by myself, amazing tracks.
I said this here before: it is a strong,solid rocky album and Moz is in top form.
Cheers Moz

After Listening to YOR for the last few weeks. The lyrics, everyone hears something different.
I think he said this album was recorded as live,and the emotion in his voice is very apparent to hear. For me, this album is about Johnny and the demise of The Smiths, subsequent events and leading up to the final track I'm ok by myself, which of course he is. It is the most revealing album so far in my opinion.
The coming together of Johnny and Steven (as he was then) was a meeting of musical minds, intellectually, a loner finding someone who thought like he did. The betrayal of leaving the band was unthinkable and the consequences, spiralling despair.
It sets the scene with Skull
I'm doing very well,I can blackout the present and the past now,.....It's a miracle I've made it even this far.
All subsequent tracks portray emotional questioning, apart from You Were Good In Your Time, a tribute to Mr Marr.
I won't bore you with my interpretations of each song, but just to say I think Mama and Carol are Johnny.
Putting the 2 tracks from the greatest hits on this album has been much talked about, but without them the flow would have been interrupted.
You may all disagree, but when I listen, this is what I hear.

Perhaps I have spent too much time watching paint dry, however love takes many forms, not only sexual.

I can see you are nodding off now.....

After Listening to YOR for the last few weeks. The lyrics, everyone hears something different.
I think he said this album was recorded as live,and the emotion in his voice is very apparent to hear. For me, this album is about Johnny and the demise of The Smiths, subsequent events and leading up to the final track I'm ok by myself, which of course he is. It is the most revealing album so far in my opinion.
The coming together of Johnny and Steven (as he was then) was a meeting of musical minds, intellectually, a loner finding someone who thought like he did. The betrayal of leaving the band was unthinkable and the consequences, spiralling despair.
I'm doing very well,I can blackout the present and the past now,.....It's a miracle I've made it even this far.
All subsequent tracks portray emotional questioning, apart from You Were Good In Your Time, a tribute to Mr Marr.
I won't bore you with my interpretations of each song, but just to say I think Mama and Carol are Johnny.
Putting the 2 tracks from the greatest hits on this album has been much talked about, but without them the flow would have been interrupted.

Perhaps I have spent too much time watching paint dry, however love takes many forms, not only sexual.

A very interesting interpretation. I respectfully disagree with it because if the album were about Johnny Marr it would go directly against the grain of his main theme these days of not living in the past, not revisiting the past, not being straitjacketed by the past. But I think you make some good observations and you certainly could be right.

That's interesting. I'll listen to it again (as I do everyday) with your interpretations in mind.

It so is! It's just f***in' the dogs bollocks with some exquisite bees knees here and there and a real treat!!!

Moz forever!!!

I think YOR is Mozza's heaviest sounding album to date. Certainly when averaging out all the tracks and the demeaour of each of them. Your Arsenal kicked off with the first two tracks being perhaps the rockiest and heaviest he's ever done to date. Apart from possibly two tracks on YOR, with "I'm throwing my arms around Paris" being one of them, the album is very uplifting and medium to high paced. I do like Mozza's slow and melodic tracks, don't get me wrong, "I'm not sorry" from YATQ being among my favs.

I do like the album. It's pretty good. I must admit it does need a couple of listens to get into. Not the usual Mozza style, although not too experimental and anything too distant from his previous stuff.

I am pleasantly surprised by YOR. Quite a few decent songs on it. I particularly like It's Not Your Birthday, Something Is Squeezing My Skull and Mama Lay Softly and have always thought All You Need is Me is a really decent song. One or two that I really don't like but my main gripe is with the drumming. Way too much snare throughout the album. I don't know who in the Moz camp has this snare obsession but frankly, I wish someone would have put a f***ing knife through the skin during the recording sessions for this album. Other than that it is a decent effort.

Here's a nice review in The Metro Times (widely distributed arts & entertainment weekly):

http://www.metrotimes.com/music/review.asp?rid=25028

3/18/2009

Morrissey: Years of Refusal

By Laura Witkowski

Most celebrities of Morrissey's stature become comfortably lazy. They might occasionally tour, idly tossing out the hits as musical bones for those who still believe. But they wouldn't do anything as vulgar as still crave cultural relevancy and expect to actually grow their fan base! But we're talking Morrissey — a man who still never seems satisfied that he's gotten the full credit he deserves.

Using that logic, Years of Refusal can be viewed as a power grab. This isn't a half-baked effort for the already loyal — this is a declaration to today's youth: Forget all those eyeliner-wearing emo bands I've inspired, kid. Here's the real thing.

Packed with more intense, rock 'n' roll delivery than on any Moz record since 1992's Your Arsenal, Morrissey sounds fresh, biting and relevant — his voice still strong and unmistakable. He's also done cloying for your affection. "After all these years I find I'm OK by myself/ and I don't need you /or your homespun philosophy" he sings on the album's blistering closer, "I'm OK By Myself." Considering his past pleas, it's hard to imagine Morrissey singing these words, but that's the main message Years of Refusal is delivering — one from a man who has decided to go it alone and is perfectly fine with this. But will Morrissey's chase for youth's fickle affection alienate the long-faithful? Certainly not. Regardless of how many of today's angst-y and forlorn youth flock to Morrissey's dedicated herd, he has not compromised his talents to win them over. Rather than coming across as a clumsy attempt to appeal to a new audience in spite of his past (a la Liz Phair), Years of Refusal simply offers Morrissey's strongest and catchiest material in years. The youngsters can then take or leave it on its own merits. For a man who started as "a small fat child in a welfare house," this is an enviable position to be in. —Laura Witkowski

Morrissey plays Tuesday, March 31, at the Michigan Theater, 603 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor; 734-995-9731. With the Pool.

(with The Pool??? - Pooley????)

I simply love this Album, Moz was right saying it is his strongest work to date. I know: every time there is a new album out many from press to fans just say it is his best work , the best for years...YOR is just bloody good . It is solid,rocky,alive and kicking so hard.....wow!!
Cheers Moz

Using that logic, Years of Refusal can be viewed as a power grab. This isn't a half-baked effort for the already loyal — this is a declaration to today's youth: Forget all those eyeliner-wearing emo bands I've inspired, kid. Here's the real thing.

Laura may be correct on this point. If she is I'd weep.

I've just read "Pop You Can Believe In" from the front page:
http://www.nypress.com/article-19563-pop-you-can-believe-in.html

Love it!

"Producer Jerry Finn sought a live sound in which Morrissey’s wails show raw spontaneity—and the soulfulness of a true singer. Clearly, Morrissey never got his due as a descendant of punk. Naysaying rock traditionalists don’t understand how Morrissey’s most dire expressions stimulate listeners, turns them emotionally active, not mere mopers—surely the effect Obama intended for his constituents."

The "descendant of punk" thing is too often overlooked. Also, hardly anyone ever mentions how much of a soul singer he is (soulful, yes) but I mean Soul with a capital S. As a singer, I think he's right up there with Otis Redding, Dinah Washington, Sam Cooke and on and on...... But of course in his own inimitable way.

I LOVE Morrissey and I guess I'm glad somebody liked this album but I can only assume that anyone who claims it's his "best ever" is either on a lot of drugs, mentally ill, or just discovering his music. Again, I love Morrissey, but for my money this is almost the worst thing he's ever created, just barely eclipsing "Southpaw" because that only had one song I really liked and this album has three. The music is rockier, but in as clumsy sort of way, unlike "Your Arsenal". It's very well produced, but the lyrics are uncharacteristically empty. There isn't a single track that has the depth, emotion and complexity of "Everyday is like Sunday' or "November Spawned A Monster." The best of the lot seem to be cobbled together from bits of better songs and the worst, well, you get the idea. I am looking forward to seeing him on Sunday, however, I'm hoping he'll play more of his older material.

Years Of Refusal

I just listened to the album from start to finish. I put Shame Is The Name in and I must say, I really love this album. I think the guitars sound great and Morrissey sounds amazing. Anybody agree?

At first I wasn't sure about Black Cloud and I'm Ok By Myself but now I can't get enough of Black Cloud and I'm Ok By Myself is pretty good too. The only song I find myself skipping is Sorry Doesn't Help.

At first I wasn't sure about Black Cloud and I'm Ok By Myself but now I can't get enough of Black Cloud and I'm Ok By Myself is pretty good too. The only song I find myself skipping is Sorry Doesn't Help.

I agree Sorry Doesn't Help is the only track which is SLIGHTLY weak, in my honest opinion. But the album as a whole is just amazing, really.
Cheers Moz

I think it is quite brilliant actually. The more i listen to it, the more it grows on me. I really like 'something is squeezing my skull', 'it's not your birthday anymore' and 'that's how people grow up'. The lyrics are as clever and witty as ever. My friends have mixed views about it, but i really like it. :thumb:

I am loving this album. I'm just getting back into Morrissey after MANY years. I have a lot of catching up to do. I was a big Smiths/Morrissey fan in 87 - 90 and wasnt sure what to expect with this new album but I LOVE it. Something is squeezing my skull, Paris, Black Cloud, I dont think there is a song I dont like on here. A few need to grow on me but for the most part I love it!

Is there a thread here that talks about all his albums, I need some suggestions on what to go for first as I get ready to see him in concert. I have the Quarry album on its way to me but I'm a little lost on the rest. I have every Smiths album ever made though, and his first couple (I think) solo albums.

I am loving this album. I'm just getting back into Morrissey after MANY years. I have a lot of catching up to do. I was a big Smiths/Morrissey fan in 87 - 90 and wasnt sure what to expect with this new album but I LOVE it. Something is squeezing my skull, Paris, Black Cloud, I dont think there is a song I dont like on here. A few need to grow on me but for the most part I love it!

Is there a thread here that talks about all his albums, I need some suggestions on what to go for first as I get ready to see him in concert. I have the Quarry album on its way to me but I'm a little lost on the rest. I have every Smiths album ever made though, and his first couple (I think) solo albums.

Welcome back. :)

I also returned (several years ago now) after many, many, many years away. It was a strange sensation; half comforting, half alienating - like returning to a beloved house I had run away from, and finding strangers living there. I had to adjust to a Morrissey who looked and sounded almost shockingly different, and yet hadn't really changed at all. I'm so glad I came back, and I can't believe I'm still here...

I'm surprised one of the mods hasn't directed you to one of the 10,000 threads dealing with the solo albums, rankings, etc. Just scroll through General Discussion, you'll find everything you need to know.

Tags
loony ep sad
Back
Top Bottom