Years of Refusal is utterly brilliant

Maladjusted was his worst album?! WTF! Southpaw beats out ROTT, Kill Uncle and Maladjusted? That's just wrong! You'd rather be stuck on a deserted island with Southpaw over ROTT or Maladjusted? Never, I'd be frantic to be rescued before the drum intro to "The Operation" started (by the way does it ever end?)!:)

Nope, not in my opinion. Southpaw is easily the worst. But those are the results from the biggest ever fan poll (which I quote from time to time...)
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=772612

this if off-topic but i really dont understand why people dislike maladjusted so much!! why is that?

I don't know either. It, and especially its b-sides, is a good solid collection of songs. It came out during the heyday of "Brit-Pop" and was quickly brushed aside. For me, it was the life ring that carried me until the far superior "You Are the Quarry" arrived.

I think "Maladjusted" deserves better, and I hope a re-issuance of it might finally make people appreciate this album.

wide to receive
papa jack
roys keen
sorrow will come in the end.
ambitious outsiders

But the b-sides Nugz, the b-sides!:)

Lost
The Edges Are No Longer Parallel
Now I Am a Was
This Is Not Your Country
I Can Have Both
Heir Apparent (okay not so much this one...):)

wide to receive
papa jack
roys keen
sorrow will come in the end.
ambitious outsiders

I'll give you "Papa Jack," "Sorrow Will Come In The End," and "Ambitious Outsiders". Horrible songs. "He Cried" isn't very good either. But "Wide To Receive" is an INCREDIBLE beauty! Morrissey sings like an angel, and the melody is gorgeous. I also loved Alain's harmony. Great song. And "Roy's Keen" is a fun, catchy little ditty. I love it.

And in addition to those songs, you have such wonders as "Maladjusted" (a brilliant opening track with lyrics that are miles above anything on Refusal), "Trouble Loves Me" (perfection), "Alma Matters" (another beautiful melody, even if the lyrics are lightweight), "Ammunition" (a lovely little song with a forgiving sentiment I wish modern Morrissey would embrace), and "Satan Rejected My Soul" (a rockabilly delight). Those songs make the album miles better than Southpaw.

Lost
Now I Am a Was
This Is Not Your Country
I Can Have Both

I never liked "This Is Not Your Country" - I think that's one of Morrissey's weakest compositions. But "Lost" and "I Can Have Both" are works of genius.

I've really really gone off it. When I do listen to it, it just feels like I am for the sake of it. I really don't like the production, it sounds too big and doesn't suit him at all.
I'll probably give it a rest until it's released.

I'll give you "Papa Jack," "Sorrow Will Come In The End," and "Ambitious Outsiders". Horrible songs. "He Cried" isn't very good either. But "Wide To Receive" is an INCREDIBLE beauty! Morrissey sings like an angel, and the melody is gorgeous. I also loved Alain's harmony. Great song. And "Roy's Keen" is a fun, catchy little ditty. I love it.

And in addition to those songs, you have such wonders as "Maladjusted" (a brilliant opening track with lyrics that are miles above anything on Refusal), "Trouble Loves Me" (perfection), "Alma Matters" (another beautiful melody, even if the lyrics are lightweight), "Ammunition" (a lovely little song with a forgiving sentiment I wish modern Morrissey would embrace), and "Satan Rejected My Soul" (a rockabilly delight). Those songs make the album miles better than Southpaw.

Imagine a re-issue booting: "Papa Jack," "Sorrow Will Come In The End," and "Ambitious Outsiders" for the like of "Lost," "The Edges are No Longer Parallel," and "I Can Have Both?" I think it would be a stellar album! Remastered and with a new photo in which Morrissey doesn't look like a sprite or leprechaun.:)

I never liked "This Is Not Your Country" - I think that's one of Morrissey's weakest compositions. But "Lost" and "I Can Have Both" are works of genius.

No, no. Why is it every time Morrissey tackles social or political issues his fan base seems to take a collective yawn? I love songs like: This Is Not Your Country, Margaret on a Guillotine, The Slum Mums, Teenage Dad on His Estate, America is Not the World, Children in Pieces, All the Lazy Dykes, etc.

It really bothers me. I see the size of the frink thread grow exponentially and I think, "Is that what Moz fans want?" Pop songs with covers in which he looks sexually appealing to them?

It's simple for me: I don't care what the man looks like, I'm a fan because he lyrics reached me at the right time in my life. When he touches on social/political issues it usually opens my eyes to someone's plight. Living in Phoenix, AZ I had no idea that in this day and age there were still these abuses described in "Children in Pieces!" I thank him for writing these songs, I'm a better person for it.

albums aside, i think that Lost and Trouble loves me and Wide to receive are three of his loveliest songs..perhaps not the GREATEST songs he has ever written, but they are really beautiful. its nice to hear the cute part of moz once in a while..!

Lost
Now I Am a Was
This Is Not Your Country
I Can Have Both

the B sides don't count. they are not ON the ACTUAL album!!! haha

i think I like Southpaw better cuz I dont skip any of the songs. and I like it cuz it flows like an album. Maladjusted I find myself skipping every other song. Kinda like Kill Uncle.

Just to clarify: yes, IMO YOR is a weak Morrissey album, but it's not "crap," and I would be utterly devastated if he retired.

It's kind of like my frustration with the song rating poll we did on the forum awhile back: every song would get 10's by a segment of the users. Yes, music is subjective but there is a marked and distinctive difference between "Everyday is Like Sunday" and "Sweetie Pie." For some fans, it is as if all it needs is Morrissey's name stamped on the CD, and it immediately becomes brilliant. If "Years of Refusal" is brilliant, than what is "The Queen is Dead?" Brilliant too? I dare say these two albums are not in the same league as one another. I think if one can gain any kind of perspective of all they'd see YOR for what is truly is: better than main stream pop music, but for a Morrissey album - merely average. He merely retraces his steps on YOR. No new lyrical ground is broken, no insight into his psyche.

Vauxhall, let me clarify as well: I was not refering to you when I wrote that - As i said many times before, I enjoyed our tête-à-tête very much - it's always very interesting to see the other's point of view.

Also, I never said it was brilliant or did I ever bring The Smiths into this discussion. I gave my impressions on the YoR tracks and said I had loved it and upon first listen it struck me maybe not his best but up there with the best albums (and I mean Moz solo albums). :)

Vauxhall, let me clarify as well: I was not refering to you when I wrote that - As i said many times before, I enjoyed our tête-à-tête very much - it's always very interesting to see the other's point of view.

Also, I never said it was brilliant or did I ever bring The Smiths into this discussion. I gave my impressions on the YoR tracks and said I had loved it and upon first listen it struck me maybe not his best but up there with the best albums (and I mean Moz solo albums). :)

It's all good, I've enjoyed the back-and-forth too.:)

Actually I prefer Southpaw to maladjusted or kill uncle

* hides * :p

but let me tell you why: kill uncle is probably my least favorite Moz album - I never connected with the songs. *hides again *

Maladjusted has 3 songs I really like: the beautiful Trouble loves me, Alma matters and Maladjusted - but the rest of the album feels tired and I keep skiping the songs.

Southpaw - first time I listened I has shocked. I coudn't tell if I had liked it ,loved it or hated it ... it seemed so violent and experimental - I felt quite uneasy listening to it - but to my surprise, a few songs couldn't get out of my head: southpaw, that I really like, the operation, the magnificent reader meets author and also boy racer - and slowly it grew up on me and I find it quite interesting:)

Tags
loony ep sad
Back
Top Bottom