Years of Refusal is utterly brilliant

well, I've actually heard the album now so can finally contribute to this thread! having said that, I've not really made up my mind. been focusing on the six 'new' songs.
'Carol' was the first song to jump out at me (and seems like an obvious second single choice) and I'm slowly realising what the 'It's Not Your Birthday' fuss is all about!

Quarry hit me like a ton of bricks - I loved it right away, but that's because I had missed Morrissey so much (without knowing it). Hearing his voice again just ravished me.

ROTT was meh, only "Dear God" had an immediate impact, and "Pigsty" hit hard after three listens.

I really liked YOR right away. The first time I heard "Birthday" a cold shiver went down my spine; by the third listen I was in tears.

Just some meaningless musings, enjoy your journey into the heart of darkness. :)

I think Black Cloud sounds like Tomorrow (musically anyway)

After several listens, I think it's just the chord progression (and lyric) in the "Nothing I can do. . ." lines that sound like "Nothing's gonna stop me when I feel this way. . ." in Heir Apparent. ::shrug::

--jeniphir

The following is indeed a great post from the Worm but I think it belongs more in this thread.

Originally Posted by Worm
I like the fact that Years of Refusal leads off with a song that sounds as if it might've come straight from one of Morrissey's notebooks in, oh, 1981, yet crackles with a line ("The motion of taxis excites me/When you peel it back and bite me") so sexy it could only have been written in his forties.

I like the fact that the first 8 songs average about three minutes in length and the second of the two "atmospheric ballads" is actually three minutes plus two more of background noise.

I like the jaunty, locomotive drumming on several of the songs, notably "Carol" and "Farewell", creating a briskness to the album which ends in a glorious thrash with "I'm OK By Myself", and that his voice fizzles out while the music rolls on down the train tracks, unstoppable.

I like Finn's crisp production values; I like that Finn lets Morrissey paint with all the colors on the spectrum for the second time in his career.

I like the way certain lyrics jump out of nowhere ("When I die I want to go to hell", "black earth on the casket fell", "the heart has a heart of its own").

I like Roger Manning's keyboards, which are in many places the equal to Stephen Street's arrangements on the early solo records: pinpoint embellishments in some places, the backbone of other songs in others ("Sorry Doesn't Help Us").

I like that "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" would've been a whisper-quiet polka song in 1991 and here sounds acid and wounding.

I like Morrissey's willingness to stretch, push, yank, and pretzel his voice, such as "So it must be ta...KEN!" turning into a shimmering falsetto, or his voice going as high as I've ever heard it during the end of "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" when he does the best sequence of keening "oh oh OHs" since "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side".

I like the end of "You Were Good In Your Time", when Morrissey and his band make death and purgatory sound like a somnolent waiting area in Charles de Gaulle airport.

I like the way he pauses in "I'm OK By Myself" and speaks the line "All of my life" as if the fact so exhausts and disgusts him he can't even sing it, or the way he carefully enunciates "morality" until it bleeds disdain.

I like the way "your homespun philosophy" reminds me of the many insufferable conversations I've had over the years with people who think the blind leading the naked is "an exciting lifestyle choice".

I like that critics miss the point that the admittedly clumsy-on-paper lines "I was driving my car/I crashed and broke my spine/So yes, there are worse things in life/Than never being someone's sweetie" are prosaic precisely so that "someone's sweetie" is delivered with maximum sarcasm.

I like the way "When Last I Spoke To Carol" reminds me of "Flight of The Conchords". (Those guys are funny.) I love the way "Carol" reminds me of Spaghetti Westerns and wonder how Finn captured the spirit so memorably and Visconti didn't. I love the whistling; I love the "high plains drifter" sound effects; I love that in the middle I can't tell if it's diseased seagulls, a dying dog, or an overexcited rooster shrieking over the mix; and I think that "Carol" might well be one of the five or six best songs he's written as a solo artist.

I like that Morrissey sings "Don't give me anymore" instead of the easier-to-sing "Don't give me more" on 'Skull', because the extra syllables make him sound hilariously out of breath.

I like the "Tomorrow"-ish bassline in "Black Cloud" because "Tomorrow" is about the only song of his I can think of that-- forgive me-- rocks like this album. It's been that long.

I like that Morrissey's voice hops, skips, yelps, flutters, soars, dips, and dances in the tunes as if the aggressive music played by his band were tickling him with fire. I am shocked that, purely in terms of synergy with backing musicians, this is the most complete sound he's ever put on record-- ever.

I like that one-off singles like "Paris", "All You Need Is Me", and "Grow Up" have a home on this collection because they help sustain the fast and furious pace.

I like that the album is full of humor yet very little of it is campy or self-deprecating, as if he's through apologizing for his genius (if he ever really did, that is).

I like that there's only an oblique reference to someone who might be Mike Joyce ("You lied about the lies you told"). Thank God.

I like that Years of Refusal is the most exciting guitar-heavy record I've heard in years even though almost none of the music is even remotely ground-breaking. Everything is transformed and elevated by that voice. I am astounded that at the age of 49 Morrissey sings these songs as if rock and roll was an asteroid that crash-landed in his backyard last Tuesday night.

I like that Years of Refusal makes my mind slip into blissful oblivion and associate the name "John Maher of Wythenshawe" with badly-written complaints about garbage-collecting on the letters page of The Sun ("Sincerely Yours").

I like that Years of Refusal is both a continuation of his recent work and a total break with the past; that when he sings "I'm OK By Myself" I think he means it this time; and most of all that the last song on the album ends with Morrissey letting his voice shatter into melodic static as one last sign that, unlike everyone else, he has absolutely no interest in treating his legacy like a Faberge egg.

I like that Years of Refusal singes my bad haircut with the knowledge that Morrissey is here, with me, in the present, and not a gangly ghost haunting a shuttered music hall in a sea-siiiiide town/that they forgot to close down; I like that one of the last bullets in Morrissey's clip is one of his very best.

Thank you, Morrissey.

The following is indeed a great post from the Worm but I think it belongs more in this thread.

Originally Posted by Worm
I like the fact that Years of Refusal leads off with a song that sounds as if it might've come straight from one of Morrissey's notebooks in, oh, 1981, yet crackles with a line ("The motion of taxis excites me/When you peel it back and bite me") so sexy it could only have been written in his forties.

I like the fact that the first 8 songs average about three minutes in length and the second of the two "atmospheric ballads" is actually three minutes plus two more of background noise.

I like the jaunty, locomotive drumming on several of the songs, notably "Carol" and "Farewell", creating a briskness to the album which ends in a glorious thrash with "I'm OK By Myself", and that his voice fizzles out while the music rolls on down the train tracks, unstoppable.

I like Finn's crisp production values; I like that Finn lets Morrissey paint with all the colors on the spectrum for the second time in his career.

I like the way certain lyrics jump out of nowhere ("When I die I want to go to hell", "black earth on the casket fell", "the heart has a heart of its own").

I like Roger Manning's keyboards, which are in many places the equal to Stephen Street's arrangements on the early solo records: pinpoint embellishments in some places, the backbone of other songs in others ("Sorry Doesn't Help Us").

I like that "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" would've been a whisper-quiet polka song in 1991 and here sounds acid and wounding.

I like Morrissey's willingness to stretch, push, yank, and pretzel his voice, such as "So it must be ta...KEN!" turning into a shimmering falsetto, or his voice going as high as I've ever heard it during the end of "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" when he does the best sequence of keening "oh oh OHs" since "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side".

I like the end of "You Were Good In Your Time", when Morrissey and his band make death and purgatory sound like a somnolent waiting area in Charles de Gaulle airport.

I like the way he pauses in "I'm OK By Myself" and speaks the line "All of my life" as if the fact so exhausts and disgusts him he can't even sing it, or the way he carefully enunciates "morality" until it bleeds disdain.

I like the way "your homespun philosophy" reminds me of the many insufferable conversations I've had over the years with people who think the blind leading the naked is "an exciting lifestyle choice".

I like that critics miss the point that the admittedly clumsy-on-paper lines "I was driving my car/I crashed and broke my spine/So yes, there are worse things in life/Than never being someone's sweetie" are prosaic precisely so that "someone's sweetie" is delivered with maximum sarcasm.

I like the way "When Last I Spoke To Carol" reminds me of "Flight of The Conchords". (Those guys are funny.) I love the way "Carol" reminds me of Spaghetti Westerns and wonder how Finn captured the spirit so memorably and Visconti didn't. I love the whistling; I love the "high plains drifter" sound effects; I love that in the middle I can't tell if it's diseased seagulls, a dying dog, or an overexcited rooster shrieking over the mix; and I think that "Carol" might well be one of the five or six best songs he's written as a solo artist.

I like that Morrissey sings "Don't give me anymore" instead of the easier-to-sing "Don't give me more" on 'Skull', because the extra syllables make him sound hilariously out of breath.

I like the "Tomorrow"-ish bassline in "Black Cloud" because "Tomorrow" is about the only song of his I can think of that-- forgive me-- rocks like this album. It's been that long.

I like that Morrissey's voice hops, skips, yelps, flutters, soars, dips, and dances in the tunes as if the aggressive music played by his band were tickling him with fire. I am shocked that, purely in terms of synergy with backing musicians, this is the most complete sound he's ever put on record-- ever.

I like that one-off singles like "Paris", "All You Need Is Me", and "Grow Up" have a home on this collection because they help sustain the fast and furious pace.

I like that the album is full of humor yet very little of it is campy or self-deprecating, as if he's through apologizing for his genius (if he ever really did, that is).

I like that there's only an oblique reference to someone who might be Mike Joyce ("You lied about the lies you told"). Thank God.

I like that Years of Refusal is the most exciting guitar-heavy record I've heard in years even though almost none of the music is even remotely ground-breaking. Everything is transformed and elevated by that voice. I am astounded that at the age of 49 Morrissey sings these songs as if rock and roll was an asteroid that crash-landed in his backyard last Tuesday night.

I like that Years of Refusal makes my mind slip into blissful oblivion and associate the name "John Maher of Wythenshawe" with badly-written complaints about garbage-collecting on the letters page of The Sun ("Sincerely Yours").

I like that Years of Refusal is both a continuation of his recent work and a total break with the past; that when he sings "I'm OK By Myself" I think he means it this time; and most of all that the last song on the album ends with Morrissey letting his voice shatter into melodic static as one last sign that, unlike everyone else, he has absolutely no interest in treating his legacy like a Faberge egg.

I like that Years of Refusal singes my bad haircut with the knowledge that Morrissey is here, with me, in the present, and not a gangly ghost haunting a shuttered music hall in a sea-siiiiide town/that they forgot to close down; I like that one of the last bullets in Morrissey's clip is one of his very best.

Thank you, Morrissey.

I enjoy the passion in this. I might re listen.

For me, having lived with it for a while now, my absolutely final non-negotiable opinion (subject to change) is that while the songs are all nice to listen to, there's still nothing here that takes my breath away.

I admit a lot of the songs have gone into my Morrissey playlist and I'll listen to them quite happily but there's (with the possible exception of 'Skull') nothing that I feel I have to be listening to.

Which is a shame, I'd have loved a brilliant quality Moz-and-Roll record to accompany 'Your Arsenal' but I don't think this is it. It's all nice, but a little too lacking for my personal taste.

One of the main arguments that seems to be being fought is that Morrissey's lyrical style is more blunt these days, but I'm not sure that's something I like. I liked his wit and the fact that you still might not totally understand your favourite Morrissey song. Admittedly this is my problem, not Morrissey's, but it is going to affect how I judge and enjoy his work.

Clearly it's an album that divides opinion (my younger brother adores it, and he's only been a casual fan before) so I won't try and tell you why everyone else is wrong and I'm right :p

I'm still going to stick with seeing him at every available opportunity as his voice is better than ever (and I think some songs off this album are going to sound better live than on record) and I do still really, really love him. And I can bet you I'll be foaming at the mouth to hear his next album or new B-sides, but I hope it's a lot more accomplished than Years of Refusal.

I just find him being interviewed far more entertaining than the work he's currently putting out.

Sorry if this is talked about elsewhere but can anyone tell what the hell Moz is doing on the cover of this album?

Sorry if this is talked about elsewhere but can anyone tell what the hell Moz is doing on the cover of this album?

The baby is his tour manager's son, I think?

Scenario
Moz and his people are sitting around talking about the cover for the next CD!
someone: I know, you take a pic of yourself with your hand in a baby's crotch!
No one: That's a completely stupid idea!

Scenario
Moz and his people are sitting around talking about the cover for the next CD!
someone: I know, you take a pic of yourself with your hand in a baby's crotch!
No one: That's a completely stupid idea!

That method of supporting a baby's weight is the most practical and comfortable one there is. It's nothing to do with crotch-grabbing.

Last edited:
I think it his best solo album, as far as individual songs are concerned. Not a "complete album" in that sense. But as a collection of songs it is surely the best so far? By the way, I always thought "Vauxhall" was over-rated and over-discussed. It's good, but it came about at a time when Morrissey was faltering musically, so declaring it as some sort of triumph was a half-hearted compliment. Many tracks have a mild-mannered similarity and can be out-shined by tracks from other solo albums. Comparing it to Smiths albums is desperate.

Gorgeous Morrissey

Is this not the best Morrissey music since the Smiths? I've been around so I know what I'm talking about. x

After having listened to the album for 3 times only by now, I must admit that the album bloody rocks , it is solid , it is alive and kicking!! I have noticed that it is slightly electro-something , might be wrong on this one.
I always thought that ROTT was very strong in its first half than got a bit weak (in my very modest opinion) , YOR is there in all its strenght from right to end. Needs listening , that ' s all.
Cheers Moz

Observation.

When the Sound of the Smiths went on the playlist at work the customes complained, and the staff threatened violence against the man at the controls of the music machine! :eek:

When YOR went on the playlist - no complaints. And the staff started humming along to the catchy tunes. Even those who would never put on a Morrissey CD at home. :D

Given enough airtime this album could do very well outside of the steady "fanbase".

I love this album. My favourite track at the moment (but could change) is "You Were Good in Your Time". It makes me want to have a smooch with someone!!

Re: Gorgeous Morrissey

Is this not the best Morrissey music since the Smiths? I've been around so I know what I'm talking about. x

This actually made me laugh out loud. A comedian in our midst!!! :lbf:

When the Sound of the Smiths went on the playlist at work the customes complained, and the staff threatened violence against the man at the controls of the music machine! :eek:
:eek:
How?! That's simply unfathomable to me. o.o;

I actually rather liked YOR. But I've found I don't really like those songs most people are gushing about. "Something is Squeezing My Skull" (I mainly have qualms with the wailing "SKULL!" part. ugh.) is average and I kinda skip "It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" when listening to it. "Paris" is too slow and sounds like he's trying to recreate "Everyday is like Sunday", which I didn't like in the first place.

However I really liked the last half of the album, notably "One Day Goodbye will be Farewell", "Sorry Doesn't Help" and "I'm OK by Myself". Even if those songs do sound a bit similar they're solid and catchy.

Last edited:
:eek:
How?! That's simply unfathomable to me. o.o;

Me too. I remember working at Music Zone a few years ago and playing Louder than Bombs on a loop Christmas Eve. All we got were positive comments, particularly from one woman who said "thank God someone's playing some good music!" :D

Tags
loony ep sad
Back
Top Bottom