"Years Of Refusal" is one of his best albums

I have a hunch that one thing that might have lowered some folks appreciation of this album is the fact that the two lead singles were pulled out and issued as early tasters on the 'Greatest Hits' LP, a full year ahead of 'Refusal's release. That must have diluted the impact at the time.

I think the main factor for so many people disliking this album was THPGU and AYNIM appearing a year earlier on Greatest Hits. That basically took away two slots on the record that could’ve been new songs.

I have a hunch that one thing that might have lowered some folks appreciation of this album is the fact that the two lead singles were pulled out and issued as early tasters on the 'Greatest Hits' LP, a full year ahead of 'Refusal's release. That must have diluted the impact at the time.

Read my mind!

Jerry Finn (RIP) was the wrong man for Morrissey, on both attempts.

I agree, but I would say Joe Chiccarelli is even worse. I think the material on Quarry and Refusal overcomes the middling production. I don't think Refusal sounds too much like Blink-182. The whirligig keyboards (and Kristeen Young's contribution) save it from being too sterile and commercial. The production on Quarry is more annoying to me, with all the gratuitous touches of electronica, especially on I Like You.

A lot of the songs were also debuted in the summer of 2007. Almost two years prior to its eventually release !

I think YOR is incredibly underrated and the album my non listening Moz friends ask me "What is this"? Most of them have an idea its Morrissey but are surprised its so impactful, upbeat, and in your face at times. It's possibly in my top 3 but for sure top 5 of his solo content. Okay by myself is such a fantastic finisher.

That said, maybe I'm an odd duck. I find "First Gang" and "Irish Blood" to be rather forgettable songs and enjoy "Let Me Kiss You" and "Crashing Bores" to be far better songs.

Read my mind!
I definitely agree (and with Anonymous too)! The album was first delayed five months, so having two year-old pretty middling singles on it sort of took the edge of it. Although there is of course plenty to enjoy: my favourite is the double bill of It's Not Your Birthday Anymore and You Were Good in Your Time -- spiteful and elegiac in that order. My only main gripe along with the old single were the last two songs, which were a true chug rock anti-climax after You Were Good...

. My only main gripe along with the old single were the last two songs, which were a true chug rock anti-climax after You Were Good...
I would agree that 'Sorry Doesn't Help' is one of the weaker tracks on the album - however, for my money 'I'm OK By Myself' is an absolute stormer of an album closer. A defiant, two-fingered energetic salute to the world, and Morrissey's vocals at the end are insane - all that distorted yodelling sounds like some kind of wild guitar solo.

A lot of the songs were also debuted in the summer of 2007. Almost two years prior to its eventually release !
I really hope the same thing doesn't happen with 'Bonfire'. On the one hand, I am totally jazzed to hear some new material on tour - I just hope 'Bonfire' doesn't finally limp out with such a delay that 50% of it feels like old songs, and we'll all be complaining about how we preferred a lot of the live versions anyway.

I really hope the same thing doesn't happen with 'Bonfire'. On the one hand, I am totally jazzed to hear some new material on tour - I just hope 'Bonfire' doesn't finally limp out with such a delay that 50% of it feels like old songs, and we'll all be complaining about how we preferred a lot of the live versions anyway.

That will probably be the case. Same with the new Cure album being delayed and delayed. We’ll hear live versions of the songs and by the time the album is out it’ll all be meh.

It's fantastic and just so tight. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore is my favorite at the moment, such a hidden gem of pure art and creative surplus.

Back
Top Bottom