WTF Morrissey?

[email protected]

Sugar Booger
First off, I am a fanatic,a long time fan, have seen Moz 12 times live and have tickets for the Jax, FL show. I rarely bash him so forgive me, I'm just throwing some thoughts out after last nights "performance" on Letterman and wonder if anyone agrees. I understand hes aging and that he was coming down with a throat infection but his show was lifeless and dull. The energy and aura that has followed Moz and his band on stage was not there. What was Kristeen Youngs point of being on stage, shes awful. Wheres Gary Day? Wheres Bozs energy? Whose the new bass guy? Looked like a frat boy. I may just be an old timer, but I really miss Alain, Gary, Deano, Spencer, etc. I felt they helped make Mozs show really memorable. They had personality and each of them brought something of their own which made a Moz show or album unique. Now Moz seems like any other "alternative" band on stage. I know its just Letterman, but theres been alot of complaints about several of his live shows. I just expect more from him. Very disappointed to say the least. Anyone agree or am I being too demanding and living in the past.

I think that these TV shows are often difficult for Moz because he feels completely out of his element playing to a crowd of non-fans. Many non-fans aren't going to "get" Mozzer's music or message and therefore won't be so terribly into his performance. He was obviously already ill at the time this was recorded but I thought his voice sounded good. I hated KY's dress; she seems like a fairly bizzare person (and did anyone notice Letterman do a double or triple take when he came over to shake his hand and saw KY? Great stuff. :D)

Gary is spending time with his new child, but I think that Soloman Walker is a fine bass player. And Boz is not the spring chicken that he was with Carson 16 years ago, running around the stage during Sing Your Life. He's calmer now obviously, and he probably feels like the elder statesman of the group. Alain really can't tour full-time because of back trouble. And the new drummer, Matt Walker, is great I think. He used to drum w/ Smashing Pumpkins.

Enjoy your show (if he's healthy). Ann Arbor was phenomenal, but I don't have much to compare it to.

I think that these TV shows are often difficult for Moz because he feels completely out of his element playing to a crowd of non-fans. Many non-fans aren't going to "get" Mozzer's music or message and therefore won't be so terribly into his performance. He was obviously already ill at the time this was recorded but I thought his voice sounded good. I hated KY's dress; she seems like a fairly bizzare person (and did anyone notice Letterman do a double or triple take when he came over to shake his hand and saw KY? Great stuff. :D)

Gary is spending time with his new child, but I think that Soloman Walker is a fine bass player. And Boz is not the spring chicken that he was with Carson 16 years ago, running around the stage during Sing Your Life. He's calmer now obviously, and he probably feels like the elder statesman of the group. Alain really can't tour full-time because of back trouble. And the new drummer, Matt Walker, is great I think. He used to drum w/ Smashing Pumpkins.

Enjoy your show (if he's healthy). Ann Arbor was phenomenal, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Nice comments Warrie.

I prefer my Moz a bit more mellow.the day he prats about the stage like a skeleton on speed like Mick Jagger i`ll give up listening.Compare Morrissey to similar age singers like Prick,sorry Mick Hucknell and Nobo,sorry Bono and he stands in a class of his own.:mad:

I think you'll see at the show... this band is great, Moz is fabulous. Lots and lots of energy- in a low-key way. The Letterman appearance wasn't very representative of what I've seen on stage this year. Moz was clearly already feeling like crap, he looks pale and his hands looked shaky to me.

His band now is his band now. You might as well be bitching about "the Smiths lineup was better." They're all different. These guys do an awesome job of presenting the newer songs, the older songs, and the Smiths songs.

A couple of thoughts:

First, the stage on Letterman was TINY compared to what they usually have. They seemed to be practically on top of one another, especially with the big drum kit.

Secondly, Moz has been playing up this sort of...lounge-singer persona this year. I'm thinking specifically of the You Have Killed Me and In the Future videos. I really think this performance went right along with that, including the clothing!

I was watching it and chuckling to myself, wondering if Young Moz would "get" Older Moz.

I was watching it and chuckling to myself, wondering if Young Moz would "get" Older Moz.

I've also been wondering and chuckling about that even though it's not a real question, but more like a thought experiment. But really, give young Moz earphones playing old Moz and watch his reaction. He might as well love it!

like another poster above said , its got to be hard for moz to play to a crowd that 80% of has no clue as to who he is..makes it hard to give 100%...

Yeah just wait til you see him live, it is amazing.

i would agree - this was not his best performance. i am going to assume that he was already ill because I was surprised i didn't enjoy it more than i did.

i did, however, love his outfit.

love
s

I see what you mean, he was considerably more active in "Who Put the M.." and he was quite animated when I saw him in chicago a few months back, but he wasn't like a dead fish or anything. I'm inclined to agree with the "lounge singer" thing too, I had noticed that. Hey, let's not lose sight of the bigger picture, Moz just came out with a new song, and I for one think it's great. Maybe not "Everyday is Like Sunday" but damn good, thats' for sure.:)

Actually, you folks are too kind with your Kristeen Young assessment. I think she's garbage, and a cheap, Bjork rip off. I've never found Bjork's music(not even with the Sugarcubes) the least bit interesting. Maybe that's why I dislike KY's performances so much? I couldn't wait till she got off stage the 2 shows I've attended so far. It's a shame I couldn't bring some rotten fruit w/me to the shows, as I'd have chucked it at her several times, in hopes of her stopping. By the way, I was the one who kept screaming "Please stop" when she was singing. I'd rather Sack been on tour with him again, as I thought they were great.

Morrissey's peformance on the show I thought was great. He had a very "laid back" sorta look and feel about him that night, which I like. I thought his voice was great too. I do miss the other boys though.

Last edited:
I hate the people that scream mean things at her, it is very disrespectful. If you don't like her, then don't look at her and shut up.

Well, a good friend of mine who lives in California and went to see Moz a few times this past month, said that he loved it when Kristeen Young came out to perform because it meant that it was "Get your Drink on" time... lol

I personally think that she's not that bad, but defentely not worthy of opening for Mozzy. :cool:

I think Morrissey has been looking forward to the time when he is old enough to dress and act like a lounge singer all his career. If you look at his influences and attitudes to music there is no way this is out of character. Personally, I find it fascinating and exciting the way he has adapted himself over the years. Much more interesting than people like Paul Weller and Robert Smith who've just become dad rock versions of themselves.

Give him a break please.He`s not that skinny,sad eyed boy of twenty anymore.He`s in his late forties and he`s changed.Which is good.I think a lot of people think he`s a machine or something.Whatever he is or does I LOVE HIM.:p

I see what you mean, he was considerably more active in "Who Put the M.." and he was quite animated when I saw him in chicago a few months back, but he wasn't like a dead fish or anything. I'm inclined to agree with the "lounge singer" thing too, I had noticed that. Hey, let's not lose sight of the bigger picture, Moz just came out with a new song, and I for one think it's great. Maybe not "Everyday is Like Sunday" but damn good, thats' for sure.:)

Judging from the videos of "That's how..." performed live, he was always less active than during the rest of the show (as it lead to comments "he is already bored with the song"). Either it is a certain style of the song, or some other reasons - anyway, it's still new.

Secondly, Moz has been playing up this sort of...lounge-singer persona this year. I'm thinking specifically of the You Have Killed Me and In the Future videos. I really think this performance went right along with that, including the clothing!

I think Morrissey has been looking forward to the time when he is old enough to dress and act like a lounge singer all his career. If you look at his influences and attitudes to music there is no way this is out of character. Personally, I find it fascinating and exciting the way he has adapted himself over the years. Much more interesting than people like Paul Weller and Robert Smith who've just become dad rock versions of themselves.

Since his come back he had this image of "lounge singer on acid", and he pulls it off grandly, IMHO. As always, mixing the stuff his way.

I happen to like it. It's a mix of reality and caricature. Unlike lounge singer types, he has a genuine passion for his music and fans and can't be said to be "phoning it in." At the same time, the humor certainly exists in his persona. I know the man's been removing his shirt for years but now that he's 48, surely he gets a kick out of it since it is JUST so over-the-top. ;) (and I'm not telling him to stop, by the way. He looks great).

Back
Top Bottom