Writers block for Robert Smith (The Cure)

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=19628_0_2_0_C

"The Cure frontman Robert Smith is facing a writers block again. Due to this the new The Cure album is delayed until May 2007. Apparently Smith is struggling to come up with lyrics to some of the 33 new songs the band has recorded for its 14th studio album. With the band going on tour in March, the pressure is quite strong for 47-year-old Robert Smith. "I want them (the words) to mean something, it's not enough that they rhyme," Smith told Reuters in a recent interview. "I find myself stopping short and thinking I've done this before, and better. I've given myself a deadline to finish the words before Christmas. If I don't I should be shot," he said. The band will do without a keyboard player after Roger O'Donnell quit last year. Original Cure guitarist Porl Thompson will replace him. In related band news, The Cure joined Korn on stage during a 14-song acoustic set for MTV's "Unplugged" on Saturday, December 9 at the MTV studios in Times Square, New York City. Also present to play on a few select songs in the set were Evanescence lead singer Amy Lee. Here are the track with the guests: Freak on a Leash (feat. Amy Lee), Make Me Bad / Inbetween Days (with The Cure). The show is expected to air on February 20th 2007 via all MTV-related channels."

[To me, that doesn't sound good for the album. How many years since the last album? and now he is trying to think up lyrics?]

Well, it's been a while since there was a decent Cure-album. My hopes aren't too high.

(and koRn? oh my!)

answer to the problem
=
439.jpg

washed down by
guinness.jpg

followed by a sojurn to
istockphoto_74751_port_o_potty.jpg

:)

Robert's reply:

WRITERS BLOCKAAAAAAAAAAAA

12/20/2006 6:13:05 AM - by CURE:ROBERT

AAAAAAAGH! THE ALBUM IS NOT DELAYED (OR EVEN "DELAYED AGAIN"? ****!) DUE TO ME HAVING THAT MOST MYSTERIOUS OF AILMENTS 'WRITERS BLOCK'...

IN THE COURSE OF THE REUTERS INTERVIEW I CONDUCTED RECENTLY I TALKED (IN PASSING) ABOUT THE OBVIOUS DIFFICULTIES OF REALIZING 33 NEW SETS OF LYRICS - EACH TIME I SET OUT ON AN ALBUM PROJECT MY STANDARDS, PARTICULARLY WITH REGARDS TO THE SONGWORDS, GO UP - I NEED TO BE HONEST AND PROUD, AS WELL AS (HOPEFULLY) ENTERTAINING ETC ETC ETC...

THESE OBSERVATIONS WERE THEN (PREDICTABLY) REDUCED TO THE OLD JOURNALISTIC CLICHE 'WRITERS BLOCK', DISSEMINATED, AND SEIZED ON BY THE LAZY AND THE BORED...

I LOVE THE CREATIVE PROCESS OF MAKING SONGS, AND THIS ALBUM IN PARTICULAR HAS BEEN A JOY - THE THRILL OF PLAYING IN A BAND THAT LOVES WHAT IT DOES IS SOMETHING I HAD ALMOST FORGOTTEN - SO THE NOTION OF 'GETTING IT OUT ON TIME' - WHATEVER THAT ACTUALLY MEANS - IS NOT MY PRIORITY...

THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS, AND THE TRUE TEST OF ART IS TIME, AND...

WELL ENOUGH - YOU GET WHAT I MEAN I HOPE?!!

THE NEXT CURE ALBUM WILL BE f***ING AMAZING... BUT TO GET TO f***ING AMAZING SOMETIMES TAKES A LITTLE MORE TIME...

"TOMORROW MUST BE MORE" INDEED
RSX

PS
RE: CURE LIVE SHOWS...
AS EVER: WHEN WE HAVE AGREED TO PLAY ANYWHERE - ANYWHERE! - WE WILL POST IT HERE... SO IF IT ISNT HERE... ITS WISHFUL THINKING!

http://ny.metro.us/metro/entertainment/article/A_new_Cure/6411.html

A new Cure
Robert Smith on his band’s changing lineup, new sound and aging

by gelu suluguic / metro new york

> email this to a friend

JAN 5, 2007

The Cure front man Robert Smith spent Christmas in the studio, writing lyrics for 33 new songs before picking the final cuts for his band’s 14th studio album, due in stores in May. With a founding member returning after 13 years and without a keyboard player for the first time in decades, The Cure gave fans a taste of the new band by releasing “Festival 2005” this month, a DVD of last footage from European shows.

How’s the recording going?

The last four Cure albums have really stalled on my lyric-writing. I think it’s worthwhile because they end up better than they otherwise would have been. I never worry about writer’s block — I figure if I don’t have anything to write about I shouldn’t be writing.

What will the new album sound like?

I like the idea of it being more in the style of the “Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me” album with different things happening. I wanted to let the band play live and then write words to what we played, which is why I’m finding it a little bit hard. It has more color, a lot more style. There are no overdubs on it; it’s just a four-piece band playing. Some songs have what one might call mistakes in them but they sound great and that pushed me to not try to refine everything all the time.

Porl Thompson is back on guitars, while keyboardist Roger O’Donnell and guitarist Perry Bamonte are out. What happened?

I’m always the driving force of the band and I’m not very good at compromising when it comes to music and art. I just find it ridiculous that I should have to do something I don’t want to do, so it leaves everyone only one option, to leave. That’s what happened to Roger and Perry.

How’s your relationship with Porl now?

Porl married my younger sister a long time ago, he’s part of the family. I think we want the same things now as a band, which is why he’s back. He’s such a fantastic guitarist — the new record is showcasing what Porl does.

Why didn’t you get a new keyboardist?

An awful lot of keyboards on Cure albums are played by me. The new album sounds great without a keyboard player, so why bother putting one in?

You’re 47 and already retired once. How much longer are you going to be playing music?

I personally find it slightly upsetting to see seriously old people performing contemporary music. I haven’t quite reached that very old-person stage, but I’m aware that time is moving on. When I can’t stand up and sing for three hours, then it’s probably the time to sit down and start making film music.

Back
Top Bottom