WPINOYB Customised Tracklistings

Stephen

Gemini
So has anybody fiddled around with the tracklistings? I have, the extra tracks are so good that I have tried to incorporate them into some sort of double album of dark and light:

Morrissey - Smiler With Knife

1. Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
2. Smiler With Knife
3 World Peace Is None of Your Business
4. Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
5. Istanbul
6. Earth Is the Loneliest Plant
7. Staircase at the University
8. One of Our Own
9. Oboe Concerto

Morrissey - Kiss Me Alot

1. Kiss Me Alot
2. Julie in the Weeds
3. The Bullfighter Dies
4. Art Hounds
5. Scandinavia
6. Drag the River
7. Forgive Someone
8. I'm Not a Man

So, anyone else done similar?

No, but I've created a separate folder omitting the tracks I'm not so keen on.

1. World Peace
2. Instanbul
3. Kiss Me A Lot
4. I'm Not A Man
5. One Of Our Own
6. The Bullfighter Dies
7. Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
8. Staircase At The University
9. Smiler With A Knife
10. Mountjoy
11. Oboe Concerto
12. Art Hounds

I always say I’m going to do this with a lot of different albums but almost never do. With this one there’s honestly not any songs, even on the deluxe, that I’d skip!

I did do this with Dag Nasty’s “Field Day” album though. Made it into a nice 10 song LP.

I haven't created a new playlist, but I have been listening to the whole thing ("bonus" tracks included) on shuffle. It's helping me to get familiarized with each song as a separate entity. Usually I'm a fan of listening to albums as a whole, but with 80 minutes (<3!) of music, it's nice to change it up a little in the beginning.

I haven't created a playlist, but I was trying to think of an alternative tracklisting of how I would rearrange the songs into what I would prefer the album to be and came up with:

Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Kick the Bride down the Ailse
One of Our Own
Staircase at the University
Kiss Me A Lot
Forgive Someone
Drag The River
Smiler With Knife
Earth is the Loneliest Planet
Istanbul
Art-Hounds
Oboe Concerto

I'm Not a Man
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Earth Is the Lonliest Planet
Mountjoy
World Peace is None of Your Business
Smiler with Knife
Kiss Me A lot
The Bullfighter Dies
Kick The Bride down the Aisle
Istanbul
Oboe Concerto

World Peace Is None of Your Business
Neal Cassidy Drops Dead
I'm Not a Man
Julie in the Weeds
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Istanbul
Kiss Me Alot
Smiler With Knife
Forgive Someone
One of Our Own
Mountjoy
Oboe Concerto
Drag the River

No offense meant to the bonus tracks, because I love them all, but I personally feel they are much too languid to belong among the album cuts. They, and properly so, sound like they belong on an entirely different album. Even "Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds" feel awkward in pace next to something like "Julie In The Weeds".

"Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds" feel like they would belong on an album that carried on where 'Years of Refusal' left off...while the rest of the bonus tracks give the feel of a 'Vauxhall and I v2.0'.

No offense meant to the bonus tracks, because I love them all, but I personally feel they are much too languid to belong among the album cuts. They, and properly so, sound like they belong on an entirely different album. Even "Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds" feel awkward in pace next to something like "Julie In The Weeds".

"Scandinavia" and "Art-Hounds" feel like they would belong on an album that carried on where 'Years of Refusal' left off...while the rest of the bonus tracks give the feel of a 'Vauxhall and I v2.0'.

I totally agree with that. But I do feel the four new bonus tracks are good enough in terms of quality to be on the main album. They do have a different feel like you say and Morrissey's voice seems deeper and richer on them too. They sound like they were recorded at the same time perhaps at the end of the sessions.

The existing running order seems to me to only need minor alteration:-

1. "World Peace Is None of Your Business"
2. "Neal Cassady Drops Dead"
3. "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle"
4. "Istanbul"
5. "Earth Is the Loneliest Planet"
6. "Staircase at the University"
7. "The Bullfighter Dies"
8. "Smiler with Knife"
9. "Kiss Me a Lot"
10."I'm Not a Man"
11. "Mountjoy"