would you welcome or cringe at the prospect of Morrissey covering "Bohemian Rhapsody"

would you welcome or cringe at the prospect of Morrissey covering "Bohemian Rhapsody"

• welcome- ithink Moz you do a fantastic version

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • not sure- id be interested and optimistic

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • not sure- idont think it'd be a good idea

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • cringe- this would be a train wreck

Votes: 33 57.9%

• Total voters

chrisarclark

Boycott Moz
heard this on the radio today (for the millionth time) and for some reason immediately thought that Morrissey would do a great cover. what dya think?

Re: would you welcome or cringe at the prospect of Morrissey covering "Bohemian Rhaps

In "because of my poor education" when he sings "reality is not real to me" it reminds me of Freddie Mercury. This would have been a good song for Queen. I'd rather have heard that than Morrissey singing Bohemian Rhapsody, but I think I can see what you are talking about.

Re: would you welcome or cringe at the prospect of Morrissey covering "Bohemian Rhaps

In "because of my poor education" when he sings "reality is not real to me" it reminds me of Freddie Mercury. This would have been a good song for Queen. I'd rather have heard that than Morrissey singing Bohemian Rhapsody, but I think I can see what you are talking about.

OMG - I was going to write exactly the same thing! Although there's a very Queen feel to that line, and I could almost picture Moz singing BR, I don't think the lyrical and emotional content suits him. Vocally I think he'd do a good job.

I was going to say the same thing about '...Poor Education' but thought best not. So I'm not the only one who hears it at the end of that song.
As for Morrissey doing a Queen cover, no!

OMG - I was going to write exactly the same thing! Although there's a very Queen feel to that line, and I could almost picture Moz singing BR, I don't think the lyrical and emotional content suits him. Vocally I think he'd do a good job.

I agree- I voted "not sure, I don't think it would be a good idea" because vocally he could probably pull it off, but I just can't imagine it working otherwise.

I voted "not sure". I agree with dailyalice and Girl-with-the-thorn that Moz is probably more than capable of it in a vocal sense, but I really think he's best off sticking with his own material. I truly believe that Morrissey's music means so much to us because it means so much to him personally and there's so much emotion there (much of which his fans can relate to at least in part). To me at least, that emotional depth is a big part of his charm, and covering a song like Bohemian Rhapsody in particular would just seem out of place.

That said though, I'd still be eager as anything to hear it. Morrissey could do a cover of 'Row row row your boat' and I'd still be clamouring for a copy of the single. :D

I don't think the lyrical and emotional content suits him. Vocally I think he'd do a good job.
I agree.

I dont like Queen and BR is such a meowy song.

Last edited:

Train, double-decker bus and ten-tonne-truck type of atrocity. With a passing 747 nose-dive thrown in for good measure!
Are you all on drugs?
If so, could you please provide trade names and mg measurements, cos I'd like some :)

oh lord I would pay big money to hear him cover this..

I said cringe because I HATE....LOATHE this song. I turn the radio off if it comes on. It is my least favorite song, ever. I'd rather listen to gangster rap then this. Yes, I am passionate in my dislike for this song.

I could never forgive Morrissey if he'd cover it.

Maybe he could segue into Stairway To Heaven and do a moonwalk at the end.

I know Morrissey loves Queen...but don't think he'd love to remake one of their songs...

As much as I consider 'Bohemian Rhapsody' a piece of art, it a tad bit ridiculous, and rather difficult to take seriously. In other words, I can respect it in a creative sense, but as a listener I find it to be utterly worthless. How anybody can find a pleasurable listening experience in 'mamma mia mamma mia MAMMA MIA!!! MAMMA MIA!!!' is beyond me.

Morrissey has too much style to cover this silly piece of clown opera.

ithink they could put a different arrangement together that could suit- besides the "... Poor Education" line, also "Mama Lay Softly..." brings Queen and this song in particular to mind. icould totally see/hear it.

I'm on the fence as to whether Moz could pull it off vocally or not (leaning towards not, ten years ago maybe but not now) but what Moz would do with it is not the nightmare scenario.

Keep in mind that I do really like his current band

BUT

Can you imagine the train wreck of that band trying to play BR?

Every cat's ears within 50 miles of the studio would explode!

I dont like Queen and BR is such a meowy song.

It's a shame you don't like queen. I don't think they are the best band ever BUT Freddie was quite a talent and they did have some good songs.

I would say It's Not Your Brithday....is the closet we will get to moz doing BR

Morrissey actually saw Queen live when they supported Mott The Hoople, I think it was in Nottingham, probably in 1973. Could Morrissey successfully carry BR off? I doubt it. Vocally, the way Mercury sang it, it's way off his scale. Like it or not, Bohemian Rhapsody is a masterpiece of arrangement and vocal delivery that no one else can match. Bad News did this classic destruction of it - produced by Brian May :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom