Would you give it up?

S

starry night

Hey,

Given the opportunity to change, would you give up your job/career, life, family, friends to start out on your own in another country?

Would you have to have a job and a place to stay lined up? Or, would you simply just go and see how it will turn out for you? For me, I'm sorry but, I would at least need a stable place to stay and some sort of job (even if it was under the table). I don't know how you measure security but, people have said in the past that you should just go. I just couldn't do that though, w/out some sort of plan.

What about you?

I'm not sure that I would move to an entirely different country but I've never had much interest in a career or having money.

I've quit lots of well paid jobs on a whim or an intution and just moved on not knowing what I was going to do next, or even re-located to cities where I didn't know a soul.

I get really bored after about 6 months to a year of doing the same thing and I need to move on and do something else. I was brought up in poor circumstances and I guess I just grew up used to, and comfortable with, not having any real security. I don't need many comforts.

I'm settled back home in Glasgow and probably won't be moving far in the near future but I've lived in Brighton, London, Liverpool (briefly) and Edinburgh.

I have just gone several times. It is a wonderful thing to be free and take risks. I kind of did it just this last February when I moved to Arizona. I have been to this state twice--years ago--mostly traveled through it and saw the sites. But I took a chance hoping that I would be happy living here. I listened to my instinct. Maybe you need a radical change too. Work is not all that life is about. Travel can enrich your life in a way that no job can.

Hi

In fact I've done it. Of course I couldn't do it without any plan. I studied in UK and know what's like living in the country. It took me five years to save up in order to come back, then almost eleven years to secure the visa.

First of all you have to go the country where you'd like to live and stay there at least three months in order to find out basic stuff. I'm very forutunate to achieve the goal, but it's not so simple. At the moment I'm looking for a job, which is really daunting. Other thing is it's harder to find a place to live since late 90s the house price in UK has gone mad. It wasn't so hard to find reasonably cheap accommodation, but now it's impossible.

Maybe some others have more practical advice/answer to your question...

Hi

In fact I've done it. Of course I couldn't do it without any plan. I studied in UK and know what's like living in the country. It took me five years to save up in order to come back, then almost eleven years to secure the visa.

First of all you have to go the country where you'd like to live and stay there at least three months in order to find out basic stuff. I'm very forutunate to achieve the goal, but it's not so simple. At the moment I'm looking for a job, which is really daunting. Other thing is it's harder to find a place to live since late 90s the house price in UK has gone mad. It wasn't so hard to find reasonably cheap accommodation, but now it's impossible.

Theres always a demand for bin men and navys. :)

Hey,
Seeing that I just got back from Iceland, a place entirely different that where I'd probably never go before in my eyes, really opened them (the eyes). I gained quite a new perspective indicating things and just about living life.

However, thinking back to the question posed, I'd have to say seriously, in all honesty, I don't think I'd just give up my career here in the states now and likewise, I'd miss my family and friends terribly. You see, I'm a very, very boring person. Meaning, I'm a homebody and over-practical, sensible. I do take risks, mind you but, just giving up on all of those w/out a plan and a place to live would not be something I'd normally do.

I thought about it a lot recently considering there is someone in my life whom I'm attracted to and interested in and the question was posed.

Bottom line, I know for a fact, I wouldn't go unless a proposal was made of some sort indicating a longevity plan. I would also try to get some sort of employment (even if it was under the table payment) and a place set-up.

I've known to go to places, gigs, overnights on a whim but, just coming into my daily job here and quitting w/out a full plan lined up wouldn't be for me. I like stability, security, call me a bore but, that's what I thrive upon.

I give a lot of credit to people who've done that, just walked out of their jobs and moved to another country w/out a place to live and a job lined up. I couldn't imagine the hardships involved knowing that once that person got there, what do they do?

I was thinking and I don't feel I'm wrong for not wanting to have a job/place to live if I gave everything up due to the fact I don't want to be homeless and unemployed. I don't think that's wrong but, I know people will disagree.

Good luck everyone.

Hi

Hey kewpie,

Your alias reminds me of a doll I used to have as a kid.

Anyway, I wish you much luck and stay safe! :)

I've done it, but always with a plan. Went to four different universities in four different cities (two countries), and had a blast. Graduating really wasn't my goal, traveling was. I knew more adventurous people who would go on vacation in, say, Venice, then like it so much they didn't leave. I always felt like a chickensh@t next to them. If you can tend bar or work in restaurants, the option for getting "under the radar" employment is always there. I am moving again now, but will do it the long, boring way this time (job, place to live secured in advance), but only because I can't afford to do it the other way. Good luck to anyone with the huevos to just hit the road!!!

I don't know if I could!!! I moved to the other end of the country to my family 6 years ago to go to uni, but I need a job and things lined up. I'd miss my friends and my cat too much!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom