Would you ever buy a Morrissey single you didn't like?

Would you ever buy a Morrissey single you didn't like?

• Yes, i buy every single he releases

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No i wouldn't - i'm not a true fan

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, but only for financial reasons

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

Maverick

Maverick
I am proud to say i have every single that Morrissey has ever released (all on CD, as well as the last 3 on the 7" format as well).

As a true Morrissey fan, i feel that it is my duty to buy whatever he releases, and the only reason i'd ever stop is if i couldn't afford it - that, for me, is the only acceptable reason to not buy a release of his.

Even if he'd released Asian Rut (my all-time least favourite song of his), with only a live version of Golden Lights on the B-Side, i would have bought it - because i'm a fan.

So would anyone out there ever NOT buy a Morrissey single? And if not, why not?

I am proud to say i have every single that Morrissey has ever released (all on CD, as well as the last 3 on the 7" format as well).

As a true Morrissey fan, i feel that it is my duty to buy whatever he releases, and the only reason i'd ever stop is if i couldn't afford it - that, for me, is the only acceptable reason to not buy a release of his.

Even if he'd released Asian Rut (my all-time least favourite song of his), with only a live version of Golden Lights on the B-Side, i would have bought it - because i'm a fan.

So would anyone out there ever NOT buy a Morrissey single? And if not, why not?

i've bought every uk morrissey release on all formats. cd1, cd2, 7" and 12" where available......except for interlude which i did not buy. so there's my answer:)but i can't stand ouija board and bought that.

Last edited:
Are we back to the "true fan" debates?

CD singles are increasingly hard to find here in the US. Even when they weren't, I wasn't really into buying singles. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I discovered Passions Just Like Mine and realized just how many singles (not to mention songs) that I didn't have. That's been corrected. :D

Moz needs to know when he's putting out rubbish and 'true fans' should, therefore, vote with their feet!
If I didn't like the single and it contained no new b-sides, I wouldn't buy it, as was the case with THPGU.
But I'll buy both versions of Paris coz of the extra songs...

I did in 1997..wonderful b-sides, though.

41896Y86V8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I voted yes because even though I may not agree with the choice of song for the a-side, the b-sides tend to be gems. Actually, the worse the song choice for the a-side, the better the b-sides are. Dagenham Dave has 2 excellenct b-sdies as well as Roy's Keen. Boy Happy was my least favorite choice for a single off ROTT but Sweetie-Pie is a must have...I know not everyone agrees with this but I said it!

joey

I've bought every new Morrissey single since I became a fan, and so far I've hunted down most of the ones from before that. Even if I don't like the A-side, I'll buy the single as long as it has a B-side. This is more because of my completist tendencies than anything else, and I completely disagree with the notion that a "true fan" is under obligation to purchase every single Morrissey single. The idea is completely ridiculous.

I accept that people who have become fans post 1988 may have trouble locating some of the none-parlaphone singles, seeing as Morrissey has had several labels and therefore availability is an issue.

But i stick to my belief that if you can afford to buy the single and can locate it, and still don't buy it, then you are not a true fan.

At the end of the day, i think Morrissey's mid 90's chart slump ( 3 non top 40 singles) was more due to fan negligence than the quality of the music.

Supporting Morrissey now is more important than ever.

I accept that people who have become fans post 1988 may have trouble locating some of the none-parlaphone singles, seeing as Morrissey has had several labels and therefore availability is an issue.

But i stick to my belief that if you can afford to buy the single and can locate it, and still don't buy it, then you are not a true fan.

At the end of the day, i think Morrissey's mid 90's chart slump ( 3 non top 40 singles) was more due to fan negligence than the quality of the music.

ridiculous.

Did you type that with a straight face?

how old are you, 17? I have a wife, kid, daycare, house payment, and work at a job where the next payday isnt guaranteed. At one time I had all the singles through Southpaw, but by Maladjusted, my passion had waned and sold them all. Ringleader kind of renewed my interest, and I've rebought some things but I dont feel the need to get Alma Matters just to say "look at me I'm a real fan!" I typically buy the albums and copy the b sides from a friend later on. I'll pay for a couple concert tickets, buy some merch, whatever, but to say since I dont need all 3 versions of Paris, I'm not a true fan, that's ridiculous.

try living in the real world instead of your shell.

PS - his slump in the late 90s was EXACTLY because the quality of the music wasnt there. In 3 short years after the highs of Vauxhall, you get 2 worthless comps (World & Burglary), Southpaw, which had some intriguing moments and half filler, and then the completely blah Maladjusted, it was definitely the quality that caused his slump.

For real? You mean it's more important to buy every tchotchke (what do you mean, you don't own the specially imprinted rubber band that held the M logo embroidered patch onto the Ringleader CDs for the first-week Upper Midwest Borders-Exclusive US promo?) than to listen to the words and enjoy the art?

I guess I've been doing it all wrong.

A completely straight-face. A face i can look at proudly in the mirror every day, safe in the knowledge that my status as a true fan is safe.

I'm going to listen to the B-Side of Sunny now.

Congratulations. You win. And I type that with a completely straight face.

But, wait, are you sure it's a good idea to actually listen to your records? You wouldn't want them to depreciate, would you?

Back
Top Bottom