Would You Actually Want To Meet Morrissey?

NO WAY. You should never meet your heroes, its always a terrible idea. They always let you down by proving to be human, and you always sound like a sycophantic star-f***er. I met Sooty once when I was 8, and he was smoking, and he could talk quite loudly, and he told me to f*** off out of his dressing room, and he was all unshaven and his breath smelt like vomit and prostitutes, and it was the single most traumatic thing that ever happened to me.

Are you implying that Morrissey smells like cigarettes, vomit, and prostitutes? How very unkind. I don't think he'd like to meet you if that's the way you think.

Are you implying that Morrissey smells like cigarettes, vomit, and prostitutes? How very unkind. I don't think he'd like to meet you if that's the way you think.

Oh no my dear friend, not for a second!! Please don't misunderstand me. I was just making a joke about Sooty. I know Moz is a lovely bloke in real life, and I doubt very much he smells of prostitutes, being mostly celibate. I was just saying meeting your heroes always proves disapointing when they turn out to be human. And I decided to make a crass and broad joke about Sooty being a seedy creepy alcoholic perv. Cos he's a mute puppet and he can't defend himself.
No Morrissey is a wonderful human being. I just meant it will be a let down when you discover he is a mostly ordinary human (who happens to be very talented and famous).

Oh no my dear friend, not for a second!! Please don't misunderstand me. I was just making a joke about Sooty. I know Moz is a lovely bloke in real life, and I doubt very much he smells of prostitutes, being mostly celibate. I was just saying meeting your heroes always proves disapointing when they turn out to be human. And I decided to make a crass and broad joke about Sooty being a seedy creepy alcoholic perv. Cos he's a mute puppet and he can't defend himself.
No Morrissey is a wonderful human being. I just meant it will be a let down when you discover he is a mostly ordinary human (who happens to be very talented and famous).

I prefer my heros to be human, just as long as they're not dull or stupid.

Me too! I'd make a complete fool of myself but it wouldn't be the first time that happened... ;):D

Look at Morrissey's ball control on your signature, he is BRILLIANT. He should be playing for Manchester instead of that twerp Alan Smith.

I mean, I know it's destiny that when he meets me, he'll fall in love with me and marry me, and we'll have mini-Morrisseys running about our house. But I'd be scared of meeting him, just in case he was a dick towards me, or thought I wasn't clever/witty/cool enough. Like that saying "never meet your heroes"
So would you risk it?

That's a tough one. I have admired him since 1984 and yes, I would like to meet him. I would tell him how his words saved my life. ( I'd also love to have a discussion with him about felines and books!) He has made such an impact on me...the best analogy I can give is from Hulmerist. Does anyone remember that cute, shy guy who was asked why he loved Morrissey? It's been a long time since I've seen the video (yes, no DVD) but he stammers, and says shyly, "He's amazing...(looks nervously at interviewer) "I don't know...canna say...."

I'd love to sit and have tea with him. I think I could hold my own in conversation. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever not met, someone to admire for the way he thinks and the way he sticks to his principles. But we'd probably just end up talking about books. I'd even treat, just for the privilege.

I'd like to meet him, (I am sure I would not be disappointed) but I am afraid he would not especially be thrilled to meet me...He meets so many people...:cool:

I clicked on the link and it just opened this thread in a new window. How peculiar...

Here are some links that actually go to relevant but different threads:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=80899

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=72536

Generally, people who have met Morrissey say he was very kind and that the experience was wonderful. The only person I can remember saying it was a bad experience was some guy who had been waiting for Morrissey in a hotel lobby at 4 a.m. Well, duh!

Unless you have unreal expectations, you shouldn't be afraid to meet Morrissey. Or unless he's looking very angry and wearing his northern flatcap! :p At any rate, I think I have had very reasonable and humble expectations. Unlike some petulant stalkers, I didn't think Morrissey owed me anything.

I would do my best to not waste Moz's time and be short and sweet with him because I know he is a very busy man. And just the fact that I would be able to say hi and he said hi back would be enough for me! But I would never want to bother him because that is just rude!

I'd love to meet him. I'm mindful of the not meeting your heroes thing but tbh I've always ignored it. I've not been disappointed yet. I wouldn't blather on for ages, obviously he's busy and that. I'd just like to hug him and say how great I think he is, I guess. It'd be nice to do the autograph and picture thing, but just talking to him for a sec would be the main thing. I'm always surprised by how many people say they don't want to meet their heroes, I really, really do. I've met most of mine and it's always been amazing.

I'd love to meet, just to talk to him for an hour. Just an hour to talk to him about anything and everything.

Obviously, I'd love to talk to more, but if I could just have an hour...I think I could live the rest of my life happy. =)

Generally, people who have met Morrissey say he was very kind and that the experience was wonderful. The only person I can remember saying it was a bad experience was some guy who had been waiting for Morrissey in a hotel lobby at 4 a.m. Well, duh!

Unless you have unreal expectations, you shouldn't be afraid to meet Morrissey. Or unless he's looking very angry and wearing his northern flatcap! :p At any rate, I think I have had very reasonable and humble expectations. Unlike some petulant stalkers, I didn't think Morrissey owed me anything.

Well have you met him? and where, and what was he like?
Meeting Morrissey is the one thing I have never managed to achieve. I'm probably too scared to meet him anyway. I'd probably just babble and make myself look ridiculous..
Maybe we need a new thread: Handy hints for getting to meet Morrissey?

I'd love to sit and have tea with him. I think I could hold my own in conversation. He's one of the most interesting people I've ever not met, someone to admire for the way he thinks and the way he sticks to his principles. But we'd probably just end up talking about books. I'd even treat, just for the privilege.

I totally agree with both these posts and this'd be exaclty how id like it to go....
also i'd love a stroll in a park (or the countryside) with him, but thats my 'unrealistic dream' side coming out. :rolleyes:

I mean, I know it's destiny that when he meets me, he'll fall in love with me and marry me, and we'll have mini-Morrisseys running about our house. But I'd be scared of meeting him, just in case he was a dick towards me, or thought I wasn't clever/witty/cool enough. Like that saying "never meet your heroes"
So would you risk it?
No. It would be hidious for all concerned, particularly me :o I'd be like the village ididot and would spend the rest of the day :doh:

Well have you met him? and where, and what was he like?
Meeting Morrissey is the one thing I have never managed to achieve. I'm probably too scared to meet him anyway. I'd probably just babble and make myself look ridiculous..
Maybe we need a new thread: Handy hints for getting to meet Morrissey?

One of my stories was in the 2nd link. Here it is again:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=547454&postcount=16

As for being too scared or losing it and being ridiculous, I used to have the same fear. But I told my friends, if I ever run into him and if I lose it, please pinch me hard or whatever it takes to bring me back to my senses and remind me to thank Morrissey and ask him for a hug. Having a plan decreases anxiety, and it's really never come to that (needing someone to slap me and remind me what to say).

I've talked to people who even fainted meeting Morrissey! One girl said when she came to, Morrissey was very concerned for her and helped her up. She was embarrassed, but I think it was a wonderful thing for her because Moz didn't think anything bad about her, was probably touched by how profoundly he affects people, and was able to demonstrate his legendary kindness. Anyhow, I'm not the fainting type. And for those who are, it's okay. You'll not only survive, Moz will take care of you!

So it turns out, that when I have met Morrissey, I've had so much practice meeting him at planned events like signings and concerts, that it goes quite smoothly. The first random encounter (which is that story linked up above), even though the first thing I said to him was rather stupid ("I can't believe it's you!"), Morrissey was very kind and asked me all sorts of questions, so I didn't really have to think about what to say, just answered his questions.

As for handy hints for meeting Morrissey, I don't want to encourage stalking because while Morrissey does enjoy the attention and meeting those who love him, I think he wants to do it on his own terms. I've been tipped off several times where to find Morrissey, but I'm not going to act on them if I think it's inappropriate. Having met Morrissey several times in appropriate ways, I'm really glad I didn't embarrass myself and irk him by engaging in stalking behavior.

I guess you could go hang around the beat-the-street buses outside of the concert venue. Once in a while, if there's not too many people (try it in small towns) and if the mood strikes him, he will meet the fans waiting for him.

Mel, doesn't he know what you look like and talk to you during concerts?

Back
Top Bottom