Would he have been better off never playing a Smiths song after Wolverhampton '88?

herzeleid

That was his unofficial farewell Smiths gig, so his material choice was understandable. He then relied on his solo career for live material until '95.

Re: Would he have been better off never playing a Smiths song after Wolverhampton '88

Didn't want to bore you with the bare facts. I'm just interested in people's thoughts before I wade in.

Re: Would he have been better off never playing a Smiths song after Wolverhampton '88

That was his unofficial farewell Smiths gig, so his material choice was understandable. He then relied on his solo career for live material until '95.

Well yeah, your right. He was with The Smiths (minus Marr) in Wolverhampton 88. They were The Smiths and had every right to play The Smiths songs at Wolves 88. But after that, he shouldn't really have played a Smiths song. Who knows why he actually played "London" 1995 and then started churning out songs like "Shoplifters" shortly after. I don't think there is an actual reason apart from pleasing the crowd. I don't know who he is actually pleasing because nobody seems to like many Smiths covers. I absolutely can't stand the new take on "This Charming Man"!! My ears cannot stand it!

Well yeah, your right. He was with The Smiths (minus Marr) in Wolverhampton 88. They were The Smiths and had every right to play The Smiths songs at Wolves 88. But after that, he shouldn't really have played a Smiths song. Who knows why he actually played "London" 1995 and then started churning out songs like "Shoplifters" shortly after. I don't think there is an actual reason apart from pleasing the crowd. I don't know who he is actually pleasing because nobody seems to like many Smiths covers. I absolutely can't stand the new take on "This Charming Man"!! My ears cannot stand it!

Have you ever been to a Morrissey gig? :confused:

And as he has said countless times, he chooses the setlist that pleases himself. He wrote the lyrics to all those songs; they are his songs, as much as Johnny's. Why shouldn't he play them?

His band do most Smiths songs absolutely fine; their version of TCM isn't great, but most are fine.

listen these are his songs this is how he interacts with his fans,i love hearing him sing smiths songs and his solo songs,to see him live it seems to be that he loves singing these songs and if he doesn't sing them then who will?i believe that the artist should do as they please, i have seen him 5 times this summer and i am going to the 2 london dates and to me i love this setlist i think it touches all bases

questions like this suggest a complete misunderstanding of the status of Morrissey's so called 'solo' career.
the reality is that Morrissey's never ever been solo - he's always been the singer and lyricist in a pop group, and he's arguably been in about 4 or 5 different pop groups since the Smiths. it's just that each one was labelled and marketed as 'Morrissey'.
if there's an argument for not playing the Smiths songs, there's also one for not playing all the Stephen Street and Mark Nevin era songs.
and now Alain Whyte's disappeared, possibly for good, should he stop performing the 100 or so songs that Alain co-wrote too?

questions like this suggest a complete misunderstanding of the status of Morrissey's so called 'solo' career.
the reality is that Morrissey's never ever been solo - he's always been the singer and lyricist in a pop group, and he's arguably been in about 4 or 5 different pop groups since the Smiths. it's just that each one was labelled and marketed as 'Morrissey'.
if there's an argument for not playing the Smiths songs, there's also one for not playing all the Stephen Street and Mark Nevin era songs.
and now Alain Whyte's disappeared, possibly for good, should he stop performing the 100 or so songs that Alain co-wrote too?

This is true. He recently said that he doesn't mentally separate his career into Smiths and solo; that would suggest that he sees the last 30 years as a continuous creative process that ultimately belongs to him. If that is the case, and even if it's not, why shouldn't he play Smiths songs? He's obviously proud of what he's achieved and enjoys performing them. And for what it's worth, I think that for the most part his current band do a good job of the Smiths material. Both 'Shoplifters' and 'I Know It's Over' sounded fantastic in York- they were worthy, skillful reinterpretations of two brilliant songs. He could do a lot, lot worse in my opinion.

The Smiths songs at Wolverhampton had never been played live as The Smiths, hence their inclusion at that date

As for Morrissey not playing Smiths songs live would Paul McCartney still be touring if he didn't throw in the odd Beatles number?

And I remember on the Boxers tour when he played Shoplifters and later on London and the majority of the crowd not knowing in advance due to them being those pre-internet days of yore where you could have a night for a shilling and still have change for the bus home. To hear Morrissey play Smiths songs live after 9 years was seriously amazing.

What I find strange is that "Herzeleid" used to be the very first name I posted under when I first started posting around online back in say 98/99, so its a spin out seeing someone else pop up with that name now.

Some of you people are ridiculous - and friggin' idiots. He wrote 'em and has every right to play them. Think of one band member who went solo and never played their previous work. Sure, some pretentious a-holes may refuse to but by and large the concert-attending public want to hear the "hits."

Lou Reed never playing VU songs? Iggy never playing Stooges songs? Ozzy never playing Sabbath songs? Imagine Keef never singing Before They Make Me Run when he was performing solo!

They helped write 'em and they sing 'em. They belong to THEM. They can tattoo them to their foreheads or sing 'em at a concert.

I wish he hadn't started playing Smiths songs. As much as I love hearing them, there was something more honorable about his shows when he wasn't relying on his past glories with Johnny Marr. Not playing The Smiths was a way of saying, "Look, I've moved on, and my solo back catalogue is immense and excellent. What exactly have YOU done lately Mr. Marr? Oh, that's right, nothing much at all." Now that he relies on Smiths songs so much it gives the opposite impression: that he doesn't have confidence in his own songs. And his current band massacre so many of the songs (especially "This Charming Man") that it is actually reinforcing the fact that he'll never top The Smiths. It was not a wise decision.

He didn't play any Smiths material on the Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal tours, and by all accounts those shows were storming.

Back
Top Bottom