Would a Smiths reunion be a good thing?

Would a Smiths reunion be a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
Someone raised an interesting question earlier - has any reformed "super-group" ( sorry ) ever produced worthwhile original music following their reunion ? I can't see Marr knocking out the hits given his track record over the last decade or so.

As for Moz , regardless of whatever groovy tunes Marr walked in with , surely he would interpret ( and quite understandably) the reformation as a repudiation of almost everything he's said/sung in the last fifteen years ? That he was , in fact, not "OK by himself" ... ?

Last edited:
Someone raised an interesting question earlier - has any reformed "super-group" ( sorry ) ever produced worthwhile original music following their reunion ? I can't see Marr knocking out the hits given his track record over the last decade or so.

Magazine and Public Image Limited to name two.

Magazine and Public Image Limited to name two.
I don't remember the Magazine reunion and yeah, Public Image was a good one.
I think these reunions can take place for one of 2 reasons, it's musically the way they want to go or their career is at dead stop and the money would be nice. If the Smiths do it, which of those 2 do you think would be the motive?

Surely The Smiths legacy is so cherished because the actual work has never been tarnished. The story is complete like all the best bands, Beatles, Jam etc. And I agree with all those who say any reunion must include Andy and Mike 'cos without out them it just ain't The Smiths. I can play those bass lines but who would want to see me do it, and by implication, anyone else? Keep it pure I say. Just seen a picture of the Beach Boys in the paper today...don't want our precious Smiths looking old and doddery purely for the pension plan payments. They are too good for that fate.

Great, great band.

The four-pronged punch of Devoto-McGeoch-Adamson-Forumla (Doyle to be honest was nothing spectacular; he was a consistent drummer, which is a good enough thing to say about anyone) was without a doubt a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely The Smiths legacy is so cherished because the actual work has never been tarnished. The story is complete like all the best bands, Beatles, Jam etc. And I agree with all those who say any reunion must include Andy and Mike 'cos without out them it just ain't The Smiths. I can play those bass lines but who would want to see me do it, and by implication, anyone else? Keep it pure I say. Just seen a picture of the Beach Boys in the paper today...don't want our precious Smiths looking old and doddery purely for the pension plan payments. They are too good for that fate.

Very good points. Also, Andy's bass lines and how they were intertwined with Johnny's guitars were central to The Smiths' sound, something few people acknowledge. I saw the Beach Boys on Jools Holland a few weeks ago and it was embarassing.

Very good points. Also, Andy's bass lines and how they were intertwined with Johnny's guitars were central to The Smiths' sound, something few people acknowledge. I saw the Beach Boys on Jools Holland a few weeks ago and it was embarassing.
Damn right Rowntree and Rourkesdrift. The renunion that annoys me most is The Who (although they're probably a 'never went away' rather than a reunion). I love the Who but those 2 blokes fronting a bunch of session musicians are not the Who I know.

Totally agree! Some posters here have said "any old drummer will do" - WRONG!
(Did The Who sound the same after Keith Moon checked out?)

All 4 Smiths must be present or it will not have the same sound or feel.

They don't look old and doddery just yet!

Totally agree! Some posters here have said "any old drummer will do" - WRONG!
(Did The Who sound the same after Keith Moon checked out?)

All 4 Smiths must be present or it will not have the same sound or feel.

They don't look old and doddery just yet!
Hi Velvis, Could not agree more about Keith Moon but I must digress with you about the Smiths. Even with the original line up, the feel will be different. They are much older now, the idea that they will recapture something they had as twenty somethings is fantasy. Look at the Pixies, same line up, everything is note perfect but they sound like an efficient tribute band.

Hi Velvis, Could not agree more about Keith Moon but I must digress with you about the Smiths. Even with the original line up, the feel will be different. They are much older now, the idea that they will recapture something they had as twenty somethings is fantasy. Look at the Pixies, same line up, everything is note perfect but they sound like an efficient tribute band.

Exactly Peterb, I love The Pixies but no way was I going to watch them once they reformed. They said all the stuff about making new music but where is it? The Smiths wouldn't be what we want them to be if they reformed.

I voted yes because The Smiths r everything to me, but honestly, would it be a good idea? For who? Us? or to them? Obvouisly the fans 'we' would love it, but as for them (Smiths) I dont think theyd ever agree...So my hope is just gone, it would have been the most loveliest thing ever tho...

I agree with the previous 3 posters. No point in The Smiths reforming now. Let the past shall stay in the past and keep The Smiths status as legendary...I wouldn't mind Morrissey joining forces with Stephen Street again though.

To this day I'm befuddled as to why a joint interview with Morrissey and Marr together has not been arranged. Clearly either of them has any problem talking about the Smiths, they are friendly with each other - so I don't think it would cause any arguments, and I feel like it would certainly be a thousand times easier to arrange than a reunion of any sort. I wonder has the prospect been brought up in the past and they both have just declined to do it? This is probably the case, but I'd really just love to see them in a room together now..

I'm ambivalent about it. It sounds awesome, but I know it would be anticlimactic and unsatisfying like every rock reunion in history. Its kind of like what Jack White said when the White Stripes broke up "I can only imagine the reason [we'd reunite] being if we went bankrupt or really needed the cash, which would be a really sad thing. I would probably be issuing an apology along with the announcement of the show dates." Though with the White Stripes, I don't really care if they reunite since I always thought Meg White was a horrible drummer. Morrissey and Marr, on the other hand, complement each other like no other duo in rock history.

Even with Morrissey's continued defiance, (if I was a betting man) I would bet the Smiths WILL reunite someday. It would be so Morrissey. Something so unexpected... and he'd play it all off with a shrug.

Back
Top Bottom