Would a Smiths reunion be a good thing?

Would a Smiths reunion be a good thing?

• Yes

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 72.7%

• Total voters
Re: Poll. Would a Smiths reunion be a good thing?

I voted 'no.' HOWEVER. I can't see how it'd be a bad thing if Morrissey and Marr would write new music together. Not necessarily even to tour, just studio work. Then, if Moz chooses to keep touring solo, he could add these songs to his set if he so chose.

I voted 'no.' HOWEVER. I can't see how it'd be a bad thing if Morrissey and Marr would write new music together. Not necessarily even to tour, just studio work. Then, if Moz chooses to keep touring solo, he could add these songs to his set if he so chose.
I agree Mcrickson, the distinction being crucial that if he chose to work with Marr again that would presumably be a musical choice of working with a new/old collaborator whereas a Smiths reunion would surely be a contrived move for a fat wad.

This question is more nuanced than "yes or no". I said yes, assuming that they would rejoin and do a 10 or 20 city tour and that's it. I don't want them to write new music...it won't really be the Smiths. I'd just love to see them preform all those great songs one more time.

This question is more nuanced than "yes or no". I said yes, assuming that they would rejoin and do a 10 or 20 city tour and that's it. I don't want them to write new music...it won't really be the Smiths. I'd just love to see them preform all those great songs one more time.
Although you wouldn't being seeing the Smiths you'd be seeing 4 middle aged guys who hadn't played together for 30 years playing songs they probably had to re-learn for the gigs.

All Johnny Marr has to do is come into the studio and put down his guitar track...

He wouldn't even need to talk to Morrissey or go on tour, just a simple guitar track recording.

He wouldn't even need to talk to Morrissey

He doesn't have a problem with Morrissey, you dolt. You act as if it's 1988 and the Smiths are still freshly broken up. If the Smiths reunited, it'd be Joyce who'd have to come in and put down his drum track alone.

He doesn't have a problem with Morrissey, you dolt

Have you spoke you Marr or Morrissey yourself? No? So shut the hell up.
We have no idea what their relationship is apart from stupid rumours and the press, which are all invalid.

But yes, I can't see Joyce being invited back to The Smiths. I can't see The Smiths reuniting...There's more chance of a Street/Moz reunion than a Marr/Moz reunion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you spoke you Marr or Morrissey yourself? No? So shut the hell up.
We have no idea what their relationship is apart from stupid rumours and the press, which are all invalid.

Except for the fact that they've EACH individually confirmed that they've kept in friendly contact with each other in recent years. Sure, they don't talk to each other every day, but that hardly means they're as bullheaded towards each other as you are with everyone who disagrees with you. "Stupid rumors and the press." The language in your arguments always makes you sound so convincing.

No need to escalate this. The Smiths are not reforming. Getting personal isn't healthy

All Johnny Marr has to do is come into the studio and put down his guitar track...

He wouldn't even need to talk to Morrissey or go on tour, just a simple guitar track recording.

And would that capture the essence of the Smiths? Band members barely able to look each other in the face, recording separately and "reuniting" with people they hate for the sake of money? That's miserable and pathetic, it's not something to hope for.

Morrissey & Marr are cordial with each other but they don't need a reunion, they are both working on different projects. Andy & Mike have been non-entities for 25 years... the whole idea of a "Smiths reformation" is ridiculous.

Morrissey & Marr are cordial with each other but they don't need a reunion, they are both working on different projects. Andy & Mike have been non-entities for 25 years... the whole idea of a "Smiths reformation" is ridiculous.

But Morrissey isn't working on a different project. No-one is prepared to fund his project - a new album. When/if Marr steps into the fold, they will attract offers from every record company in the land. Morrissey desperately needs Marr (or another accomplished songwriter) for his project to continue.

Suprised to see the vote leaning heavily to 'yes'.
These endless reunions of every group that ever existed and where atleast 50% of the original personel are still alive, have never produced anything of any worth. (I guess this is where someone will come up with an example to prove the contrary).

They will return in some form at some time in some place. Or so I heard.

...I think if they did re-form, and just record their seperate musical "Parts" seperately, the results would be as musically "Imporant" as the last 7 Rolling Stones albums. I would be interested to see what Morrissey and Marr could come up with TOGETHER in future, but I would hate the fact of a full-blown re-union Tour.....The "feeling" could NEVER be ignited again...the 80's were sooo long ago...or has the world changed or have I changed??...I suppose some people/fans who never saw the original band would attend, just to say that they had finally saw the Smiths, but I would not go myself, because the ticket prices would probably be stoopid, and There is ALWAYS the risk of Morrissey pulling a "Sickie" at the last minute and not showing up....( just like the 80's, so at least THAT would be consistent with the "Myth"). Sometimes bands should just end naturally...The Smiths time had came...(...I personally think it shows on "Strangeways" that they had "Peaked" for 2 albums before they released that...) . R.I.P., and thanks for the Good stuff.....

Suprised to see the vote leaning heavily to 'yes'.
These endless reunions of every group that ever existed and where atleast 50% of the original personel are still alive, have never produced anything of any worth. (I guess this is where someone will come up with an example to prove the contrary).

Peter, we've run these polls before where the options have been a Smiths reunion or a Morrissey/Marr reunion, and the latter wins by a long chalk. People would much rather see Morrissey and Marr do something, than a Smiths thing.
But if the choice is for Morrissey to continue his current woeful trajectory (tonight he showcases on national TV what he thinks is the very best song he's come up with in 4 years - People Are The Same Everywhere) or to reunite fully with the Smiths, then it's surely no surprise that the fans are keen for a Smiths reunion.

I voted no, i dont think a reformation would be sincere.
I adored The Smiths and it is a long life regret that i never saw them live (and i did have the chance) which makes it all the worse for me.
To Tour in massive stadia now, would be a total cop out/cash making excersise by all members, including Rouke and Joyce.
'Yes' i can hear you all say, hes only the bass/drums player, but they were a part of the pulse of the band.
Morrissey dosn't need any of them, hes moved on. Marr probably has most to gain, in exposure,self publicity and the need not to play with other wank bands, Rouke and Joyce would do it for the cash.
I think i shall stick with Morrissey in his solo career, Marr should continue in his teaching career and concentrate on finding, and developing guitar talent, the others, whatever.
This all said, i would still buy a ticket (if i could get one, but it wont be Hull Uni), but i would think less of myself and the band in the long run.
mmmm

Back
Top Bottom