worst Smiths/Morrissey song?

On The Streets I Ran-> this song is just a theatrical work of art! I listen to it and i imagine a stage and people acting the lyrics…! Morrissey looking at the palmist saying “no, not me, this cannot be! Dear god, take him, take them, take anyone! (here he raises his arms) the stillborn… the newborn… the infirm, take anyone!” (has anybody think of this song as a theather piece?)

I’m reading the results of the list of “our 30 worst Moz/Smiths songs taken from the huge poll” and i can’t believe all the lazy dykes is at the bottom of it! Have you Heard morrissey singing the part “…and at last your life begins!”? chilling!

Well i don’t like golden lights, -quite obvious- and a couple more of morrissey solo but i can’t remember them ‘cause i always skip them :p

These are definitely among my least favourites too :)

Definitely. Hate to say it but whenever Golden Lights come on it gets skipped. I can't bear it.

Morrissey: Dear God Please Help Me... bad, bad, bad. The only song on that album i like is Life is a Pigsty.

Smiths: Back to the Old House and I Won't Share You.

Last edited:
On The Streets I Ran-> this song is just a theatrical work of art! I listen to it and i imagine a stage and people acting the lyrics…! Morrissey looking at the palmist saying “no, not me, this cannot be! Dear god, take him, take them, take anyone! (here he raises his arms) the stillborn… the newborn… the infirm, take anyone!” (has anybody think of this song as a theather piece?)

I’m reading the results of the list of “our 30 worst Moz/Smiths songs taken from the huge poll” and i can’t believe all the lazy dykes is at the bottom of it! Have you Heard morrissey singing the part “…and at last your life begins!”? chilling!

Well i don’t like golden lights, -quite obvious- and a couple more of morrissey solo but i can’t remember them ‘cause i always skip them :p

All The Lazy Dykes is probably disliked so much due to the fact that most people either are not Dykes, or those that are don't consider themselves Lazy.

That's How People Grow Up. Just God Awful. Worst line ever "...Never Being Someone's Sweetie..."

All The Lazy Dykes is probably disliked so much due to the fact that most people either are not Dykes, or those that are don't consider themselves Lazy.

That's How People Grow Up. Just God Awful. Worst line ever "...Never Being Someone's Sweetie..."

But S (can I call you S?) have you not realized yet, or read the discussions about the song that point out that...

it's actually "bad" on purpose. It's a style thing. I don't like it as much as "All You Need Is Me" but it's a pretty cool song. Something like "the father who must be killed" has to be the winner here.

Is it the infirm???? I thought he said infant there. :o

Urgh, how could I forget? Awful, awful, awful.

But S (can I call you S?) have you not realized yet, or read the discussions about the song that point out that...

it's actually "bad" on purpose. It's a style thing. I don't like it as much as "All You Need Is Me" but it's a pretty cool song. Something like "the father who must be killed" has to be the winner here.

me and crimes had talked about this song some time ago and we both like it actually;-)
not a masterpiece musically ..
bu for example the last line kills me and means a lot to me.".at last your life begins":tears:

Last edited:
That's How People Grow Up could be an ominous portent of Morrissey's future output, winner by a knock-out simply because it makes the older songs I despise like The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye sound incisive and creative. Thank god he still gets songs from Alain Whyte. Even if the "sweetie" line is an intentional artistic choice at a bad line, there are good and bad artistic choices and this was a dire one.

Golden Lights would be an obvious choice for a shitty Smiths ditty, but I'll look for an original to slag since it's a cover. If pressed, I would have to say Unloveable. Or all of Barbarism Begins At Home up to Andy Rourke's bass "solo." Most of the rest hold up, one way or other.

Cheers,
Jamie

I honestly do find something to like in every Morrissey/Smiths song, but one track I find genuinely bad, in all respects, is The Slum Mums.

All The Lazy Dykes is a fine song, with a Vauxhall feel to the music and some strong, unique imagery in the lyrics. Bottom 10 or 15%? Perhaps. Dead last -- I don't think so.

I honestly do find something to like in every Morrissey/Smiths song, but one track I find genuinely bad, in all respects, is The Slum Mums.

All The Lazy Dykes is a fine song, with a Vauxhall feel to the music and some strong, unique imagery in the lyrics. Bottom 10 or 15%? Perhaps. Dead last -- I don't think so.

oh yes. I hear that scream in the beginning and immediately reach for the 'skip' button. :o

p.s. thx for the Lazy Dykes props ;)

I HATE 'london'
HATE IT HATE IT, cannot bear the screechyness of it,
ye si know thats not a word, but its hard to describe in mere words, if you could see my pained expression when it gets played then you'd understand, LOL
:D

I HATE 'london'
HATE IT HATE IT, cannot bear the screechyness of it,
ye si know thats not a word, but its hard to describe in mere words, if you could see my pained expression when it gets played then you'd understand, LOL
:D

Can you listen to the Peel Sessions version, or is it just the song in general? There's not as much screechyness in the Peel version.

Can you listen to the Peel Sessions version, or is it just the song in general? There's not as much screechyness in the Peel version.

ooh never heard that one? anyone got a linky, *pleading puppy eyes* im willing to give it a try...

Hopefully the last track on Years of Refusal won't be so painful :rolleyes:
however I found At Last I Am Born from the French TV session ... bearable. :p

Once it gets going, All the Lazy Dykes is verging on brilliant!

Yes i will fear i wont like the last track on YOF.

I never use to like All the Lazy Dykes until recently. I find it wonderful now.

Back
Top Bottom