Worst possible Moz setlist

Tony the Pony

I agree with this list except for Tony:

There's a free ride on
Tony the pony

I love free things and I love ponies! :D And it is quite a catchy diddy. I do understand what the song is about, but what I love most about his music is his ability to tell an interesting/dark story over an upbeat tune kind of like There is a Light, which leads me to my love for Maladjusted. There is a hatred of Roy's Keen and Papa Jack here that I can't understand, and will never agree with. The Dramatic reading of passages from List of the Lost did make me laugh as an encore. It is interesting how most of the lists are filled with dirges better left on the cutting room floor. I agree here the most.

You Know I Couldn't Last
Christian Dior
Because of My Poor Education
Tony the Pony
Sorrow Will Come In the End
Satan Rejected My Soul
Lifeguard on Duty
Art Hounds
Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
Mute Witness
On the Streets I Ran
I'm Okay By Myself
People Are the Same Everywhere
Friday Mourning
Kiss Me a Lot
All You Need Is Me
Istanbul

Encore: Miserable Lie
Who Will Protect us from the Police?

In your lap is a good song, it reminds me of my grandma. I bury the living has had a lot of stick, but it is written in the first person. It's subjective, it's not passing judgement on all soldiers, it's simply a case study......it's called artistic license.

Remember when The National played six hours of Sorrow over and over again for an art project? It would be genius, if Morrissey would do the same with Get Off The Stage.

On the whole, LIHS is a simplistic record in the best way. It talks about very personal, everyday concerns in the face of the relenless grinding of 'the machine'. It cut's through all objectivity and sound reasoning and says, 'yes, but'

On the whole, LIHS is a simplistic record in the best way. It talks about very personal, everyday concerns in the face of the relenless grinding of 'the machine'. It cut's through all objectivity and sound reasoning and says, 'yes, but'
Interesting observation, firsty. It's an explanation that does stand up, although I do find some of his 'yes buts' childishly (and embarassingly) simplistic - on I Bury the Living, in particular, and also the Shitty Awful Police Song. I think if you're going to enter the arena of political comment, you need to invest some time grasping the complexities. Just to contradict myself, I think his method does work on Israel, but I don't think he's singing about anything political there - I believe it's all about gay rights and acceptance. But there's your 'yes, but', once again. And of course, like the seasoned troll he is, he knew fine well what the reaction would be to calling a song Israel...

Interesting observation, firsty. It's an explanation that does stand up, although I do find some of his 'yes buts' childishly (and embarassingly) simplistic - on I Bury the Living, in particular, and also the Shitty Awful Police Song. I think if you're going to enter the arena of political comment, you need to invest some time grasping the complexities. Just to contradict myself, I think his method does work on Israel, but I don't think he's singing about anything political there - I believe it's all about gay rights and acceptance. But there's your 'yes, but', once again. And of course, like the seasoned troll he is, he knew fine well what the reaction would be to calling a song Israel...
I like I bury the living. There doesn't seem to be a day goes by without some feature on my local news (however tentative), about some war hero or other and it makes me feel effeminate. And the song's written in the first person, it's not preaching. I don't even think he needs to grasp political comlexities when you see how verbose some politicians can be and yet still talk us into war. Perhaps best to be ignorant? I like Israel too but he is a troll!

When Last I Spoke to Carol
World Peace Is None of Your Business
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Smiler with Knife
Best Friend on the Payroll
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Staircase at the University
I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am (herman's hermits)
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Life is a Pigsty
November Spawned a Monster
I Bury the Living
Kiss Me a Lot
*encore*
Meat Is Murder

Thanks for rating me interesting, Peppermint. I am playing devil's advocate a tiny bit, as always with Morrissey.

And of course, like the seasoned troll he is, he knew fine well what the reaction would be to calling a song Israel...

You're giving Steve way too much credit. He's an absolute political lightweight. He really doesn't understand the Israel situation, like he doesn't understand most of world politics. That's not to say he isn't a pretty clever chap. He just hasn't researched or been exposed to the issues, and doesn't have a critical friend to let him know when he's saying things that are ignorant or just plain wrong. He's sick to death of Labour and Tories. Great insight there Steve!

You're giving Steve way too much credit. He's an absolute political lightweight. He really doesn't understand the Israel situation, like he doesn't understand most of world politics. That's not to say he isn't a pretty clever chap. He just hasn't researched or been exposed to the issues, and doesn't have a critical friend to let him know when he's saying things that are ignorant or just plain wrong. He's sick to death of Labour and Tories. Great insight there Steve!
In fairness, I think he's having a go at the lack of choice rather than Labour or Conservative in particular (although heprobably doesn't like them anyway). I must admit that I'm a lightweight as well but I've very recently discovered a love for history and geography which has surprised me. So hopefully I'll become more informed. I think you have to feel part of the bigger picture in order for these things to take your interest. Possibly you may also have to be confident of your standing in the world to believe you have the 'right' to have an. interest in world affairs.

When Last I Spoke to Carol
World Peace Is None of Your Business
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Smiler with Knife
Best Friend on the Payroll
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Staircase at the University
I'm Henery the Eighth, I Am (herman's hermits)
Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
Life is a Pigsty
November Spawned a Monster
I Bury the Living
Kiss Me a Lot
*encore*
Meat Is Murder

By far the best (worst list) yet

Not much love for "Best Friend on the Payroll" on here! Me like, though!

"Steve". LOL.

You Know I Couldn't Last
Christian Dior
Tony the Pony
Satan Rejected My Soul
Lifeguard on Duty
Art Hounds
Mute Witness
On the Streets I Ran
I'm Okay By Myself
Friday Mourning
Kiss Me a Lot
All You Need Is Me
Istanbul

Because Of My Poor Education is great! Such A Little Thing is a classic!
It seems like lots of people don't care for "All You Need Is Me" and "That's How People Grow Up" but I felt they were some of the best of what I'd consider recent work, though ten years old now.

You Know I Couldn't Last
Christian Dior
Tony the Pony
Satan Rejected My Soul
Lifeguard on Duty
Art Hounds
Mute Witness
On the Streets I Ran
I'm Okay By Myself
Friday Mourning
Kiss Me a Lot
All You Need Is Me
Istanbul

How could I have forgotten People Are the Same Everywhere.

Good call.

Last edited:
I didn't suggest he did understand Israel. I think he's just throwing it out there because he knows people will react to it but I agree that he doesn't understand the details. I think he looks at most issues in terms of how they affect him, and that's the limit of his understanding - or rather, his desire to understand. Tel Aviv is very pro-gay and I believe that explains pretty much all of this song.

Back
Top Bottom