Worst Michael Jackson Single

It’s just that you seem silly and shallow and snobbish when you dismiss soul music as simply “party music”. By all means, be snobbish, I’d even go as far as saying that it’s very good to be a bit snobbish/selective, but for the love of God, acknowledge that there is there is depth and substance in not just guitar-based indie. I feel like you’re missing out.

And by the way, I never could stand The Magnetic Fields. I tried when I was 21-22 and wanted to impress friends and girls, but I just couldn’t stand them. How it’s not music for very young children, I will never know.

Totally agree re RHCP, though. Awful band.

When did I dismiss soul music in its entirety? I even mentioned Lee Moses favorably in comparison to Michael Jackson. I consider MJ to be modern R&B dance-pop, not soul. James Brown might be soul, but his brand is very dance-y and he does not have a monopoly on the genre.

I don’t think my tastes are exclusive to “guitar-based indie.” If you had asked, I could’ve told you that I like dhrupad, the so-called “holy minimalists,” Taj Mahal, Serge Gainsbourg, Nico, and other assorted things. You can’t really dance to much of Nico’s catalogue, and peace be upon her for that. But I certainly like the Pixies, Hüsker Dü, Mogwai, and Spacemen 3, and I can’t help it if they play guitars. I didn’t mention the Magnetic Fields to endorse their music. I could never quite find my way in there. I only mentioned Merritt because he was accused of being a small-minded racist for the sin of not liking certain kinds of music, which is clearly insane.

I liked Janet Jackson around "Control" and "Love Will Never Do Without You" was good but the video helped a lot. She is hard to like, though. And her music really started to stink and never got good again. Plus, she had the nerve to say things about Madonna. She was never in the same league.
What really ended it for me though was after Michael died and his mother Katherine was in charge of his kids, Janet and Jermaine shipped Katherine off to some resort in Arizona and cut off contact with Michael's kids so they could try to get as much money as possible.
I don't blame them in a way since Michael's kids were always just like lifestyle accessories for his public image and Jermaine probably hasn't earned two cents from his career since the 80's when Michael did one final tour with them before he blocked everyone except his mom.
Anyway there was a video of Janet and some of her brothers in an SUV chasing Michael's kids in another SUV all over Katherine Jackson's property and when they catch them Janet is seen slapping Paris' phone out of her hand. It made it pretty clear that Janet is garbage.
Then she sold tickets to a world tour much more recently but decided not to do it and the fans practically had to track her down in person to get a refund. She did that in 2016 and then again this year.
Dates won't be made up as it "conflicts with her schedule." So, you start a second failed tour, cancel most of it and then your reason is it conflicts with your schedule? lol I wonder what else she will be doing?
She is one of the most overrated popstars ever but Michael isn't far behind. He was a good performer until it all became self parody but his singing also became just a list of the same old mannerisms on every song. As a writer, according to Quincy Jones, Michael's biggest talent was stealing from others and the lyrics after "Off The Wall" just got weirder and weirder. Not in a good way.

Edit: Thinking he may be more overrated. His talents eclipses hers by far but he is called the King of Pop due to his own insistence. I think everyone recognizes that she is pretty average. No one ever compared her to Whitney Houston and you can say what you want about Rihanna but she has an unst0ppable string of t0p ten singles that Janet Jackson can't compete with.

I liked Janet Jackson around "Control" and "Love Will Never Do Without You" was good but the video helped a lot. She is hard to like, though. And her music really started to stink and never got good again. Plus, she had the nerve to say things about Madonna. She was never in the same league.
What really ended it for me though was after Michael died and his mother Katherine was in charge of his kids, Janet and Jermaine shipped Katherine off to some resort in Arizona and cut off contact with Michael's kids so they could try to get as much money as possible.
I don't blame them in a way since Michael's kids were always just like lifestyle accessories for his public image and Jermaine probably hasn't earned two cents from his career since the 80's when Michael did one final tour with them before he blocked everyone except his mom.
Anyway there was a video of Janet and some of her brothers in an SUV chasing Michael's kids in another SUV all over Katherine Jackson's property and when they catch them Janet is seen slapping Paris' phone out of her hand. It made it pretty clear that Janet is garbage.
Then she sold tickets to a world tour much more recently but decided not to do it and the fans practically had to track her down in person to get a refund. She did that in 2016 and then again this year.
Dates won't be made up as it "conflicts with her schedule." So, you start a second failed tour, cancel most of it and then your reason is it conflicts with your schedule? lol I wonder what else she will be doing?
She is one of the most overrated popstars ever but Michael isn't far behind. He was a good performer until it all became self parody but his singing also became just a list of the same old mannerisms on every song. As a writer, according to Quincy Jones, Michael's biggest talent was stealing from others and the lyrics after "Off The Wall" just got weirder and weirder. Not in a good way.

Edit: Thinking he may be more overrated. His talents eclipses hers by far but he is called the King of Pop due to his own insistence. I think everyone recognizes that she is pretty average. No one ever compared her to Whitney Houston and you can say what you want about Rihanna but she has an unst0ppable string of t0p ten singles that Janet Jackson can't compete with.
I would take what old Quincy says with a few pinches of salt. He made some OFF THE WALL comments in recent years about a lot of people. He doesn’t seem well.
And Michael never once insisted he should be called the King of Pop. Liz Taylor coined the phrase when presenting an award to him in the late eighties. The fact that his records and tours outsold everyone else’s probably has a lot to do with him earning the moniker. However, I do think he loved the adoration and he probably loved that moniker. He was not without ego…

I would take what old Quincy says with a few pinches of salt. He made some OFF THE WALL comments in recent years about a lot of people. He doesn’t seem well.
And Michael never once insisted he should be called the King of Pop. Liz Taylor coined the phrase when presenting an award to him in the late eighties. The fact that his records and tours outsold everyone else’s probably has a lot to do with him earning the moniker. However, I do think he loved the adoration and he probably loved that moniker. He was not without ego…
Okay this refers to the story I was familiar with but you seem to be right. Still you don't think he might have put Elizabeth Taylor up to it? lol

Okay this refers to the story I was familiar with but you seem to be right. Still you don't think he might have put Elizabeth Taylor up to it? lol
Seems silly to speculate on that. But to me, it seems plausible that Liz was enough of a fan (and friend) to come up with it all by her self, either to be kind or because she really felt that way. And like I alluded to, it (the moniker) wasn’t really far-fetched.

Seems silly to speculate on that. But to me, it seems plausible that Liz was enough of a fan (and friend) to come up with it all by her self, either to be kind or because she really felt that way. And like I alluded to, it (the moniker) wasn’t really far-fetched.
Everything he did after "Off The Wall" was pretty silly. I don't really care but I wouldn't put him on a pedestal where he's beyond speculation. He set up photographs of himself "sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber" just so they could be leaked for publicity. He definitely had a sense of humor and knew the difference between real life and a public image.
And if anyone would collaborate with him on something like that, she would. After all she helped him hide from the press in 1993.

One thing I've been finding rather fascinating (and slightly amusing) for some time now is how LH has been latching on to "Dave", clinging to every word he says, desperate for him to *like* her posts ... while he has been nothing but a snide, patronising cυnt.

The amount of dysfunction and co-dependency in these interactions is staggering.
Insightful!

I think hanging out with George Michael would have been a lot more fun for sure. I think most of his songs are horrible but I like two of them.
Bonus George Michael fact: He is the subject of the Pet Shop Boys' song"Bet She's Not Your Girlfriend," and I'm pretty sure Neil Tennant is giving us a George Michael parody look in the video for "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously?"

Chris Lowe still destroys though. He was the king of tongue in cheek street fashion. Neil has to be happy with a #YouTriedIt

Everything he did after "Off The Wall" was pretty silly. I don't really care but I wouldn't put him on a pedestal where he's beyond speculation. He set up photographs of himself "sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber" just so they could be leaked for publicity. He definitely had a sense of humor and knew the difference between real life and a public image.
And if anyone would collaborate with him on something like that, she would. After all she helped him hide from the press in 1993.
it's called showmanship, dave.

I really don’t agree. Thriller is a masterpiece. Bad does extremely well for itself, given its gruesome task of following Thriller. Dangerous is a bit uneven and a bit too long, but very ambitious and with some of his greatest ever songs. History is criminally underrated. His most personal album. His angriest album. But uneven. Sadly, his last album is his worst. Invincible could have been good if he had cut it down to something like eight songs.

But to each his own! You don’t have to agree.

( I definitely agree regarding MJ’s sense of humor and real/public life.)

Back
Top Bottom