Worst Michael Jackson Single

Born to Harangue

beat The Void 2-0 by default
I think about this sometimes . The last house I lived in had two bedrooms. I had beds in both and would sleep in both. One was quieter and the window was behind a gate. It looked out on the back yard .

The other one had a window you could walk up to from the street, but the floor was about six feet above ground so I wasn’t worried anyone could get in without making lots of noise. Sometimes I liked sleeping there because if I heard a noise I could see most of the street just looking out the window while I was still in bed. Otherwise the other window was only a few feet away if I wanted to get up and look..

But the night this happened I was in the larger, quiet room in back I needed something from the front bedroom, I don’t remember what. The strangest thing happened, though. I got up and went in the front bedroom. I didn’t turn on any lights. When I went in the front bedroom, it was slightly lit by the moon and some other random lights.

I saw myself in the bed and I want to say “asleep “ but actually it was like I was a ghost and I was seeing myself in bed, dead. I turned on the light and obviously there was nothing, no one in the bed, but it had seemed so real. Instead of going back to bed I stayed up a while and kind of savored the feeling. I guess it was shocking but not really. If felt okay and I wondered if I had somehow visited an alternate universe for a minute.

"That's dave-o! That's dave-o! Dave-o just saw dave-o! Look at the look on that man's face! Dave-o just saw himself! He just saw into the future, and he can't believe it! Dave-o is stunned, he's bewildered! Look at that look on his face! Dave-o, with a look of horror on his face! Look!"

I turned on the light and obviously there was nothing, no one in the bed, but it had seemed so real.

Bro I'm sure it's not the first time you had someone in your bed who wanted to disappear as soon as you turned the light on :thumb:

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
@Born to Harangue I have not put you on ignore yet, as you are sometimes clever. As Ray Liotta said to Joe Pesci, “you’re a funny guy. “ However your latest submission is not what I am currently looking for and so, sadly, I must reject it. Keep trying, though, and good luck on your future comedy efforts!

Redacted

I think I must be, absolutely, a total sex object.

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
"That's dave-o! That's dave-o! Dave-o just saw dave-o! Look at the look on that man's face! Dave-o just saw himself! He just saw into the future, and he can't believe it! Dave-o is stunned, he's bewildered! Look at that look on his face! Dave-o, with a look of horror on his face! Look!"

Bro I'm sure it's not the first time you had someone in your bed who wanted to disappear as soon as you turned the light on :thumb:

The great Paul Bearer! 🙌🏻🙌🏻

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
Is anyone else watching Better Call Saul? No spoilers please but am I the only one that thinks episode “Fun and Games “ was a huge disappointment? I know they have to wrap things up and they are running out of time, but really? Did you ever put off an assignment you had weeks to complete and then finish it minutes before handing it in?
Last week and the week before were 10/10 and 9/10 but this week was final season Game of Thrones level, maybe 4/10.

Skylarker

Go Easy On The Killer
Is anyone else watching Better Call Saul? No spoilers please but am I the only one that thinks episode “Fun and Games “ was a huge disappointment? I know they have to wrap things up and they are running out of time, but really? Did you ever put off an assignment you had weeks to complete and then finish it minutes before handing it in?
Last week and the week before were 10/10 and 9/10 but this week was final season Game of Thrones level, maybe 4/10
I disagree. I thought it was the best episode of the series. I cried. What didn't you like about it?

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
I disagree. I thought it was the best episode of the series. I cried. What didn't you like about it?
You are not alone but I was shocked at people saying this. Okay, Kim does the lowest thing she has done yet, lying to the widow at a funeral, and then next day, after months of escalating and doubling down, the producers are like, “ we really need to skip ahead several years to get on the timeline we need to, so how about she makes a totally illogical, out of character decision so we can mark the issues we’re been teasing for, what, two years, as complete and move on.

Also let’s have the most boring Gus scene ever (is he into that waiter) and ultimately learn nothing new. I’d rather watch my dude Lyle sweep, the floor. It was good enough for Twin Peaks.

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
Last week was amazing even losing my favorite character, and even considering they basically laid out how that was going to happen. The week before that (when they should have used “Don’t Fear the Reaper “) was actually shocking and with all the fan theories posted, coming up with something no one guessed is pretty amazing, especially how well it worked.

The door was open and the wind appeared
The candles blew and then disappeared
The curtains flew and then he appeared
Saying “don’t be afraid “

That’s almost exactly what happened.

Skylarker

Go Easy On The Killer
You are not alone but I was shocked at people saying this. Okay, Kim does the lowest thing she has done yet, lying to the widow at a funeral, and then next day, after months of escalating and doubling down, the producers are like, “ we really need to skip ahead several years to get on the timeline we need to, so how about she makes a totally illogical, out of character decision so we can mark the issues we’re been teasing for, what, two years, as complete and move on.

Also let’s have the most boring Gus scene ever (is he into that waiter) and ultimately learn nothing new. I’d rather watch my dude Lyle sweep, the floor. It was good enough for Twin Peaks.
Okay, Kim does the lowest thing she has done yet, lying to the widow at a funeral, and then next day, after months of escalating and doubling down, the producers are like, “ we really need to skip ahead several years to get on the timeline we need to, so how about she makes a totally illogical, out of character decision so we can mark the issues we’re been teasing for, what, two years, as complete and move on.

I hear you, but I think that the scene where she lies to Mrs. Hamlin off the cuff, totally natural, totally convincing, illustrated to both the audience, to Saul, and to herself how truly inexorably she'd morphed into a deceitful, self-serving, manipulative fiend. She knew at that point that it was get out or go down forever. She chose to get out and she knew that would involve leaving not only her practice but also Saul, who -as she confessed- created a lethal alchemy with her in regard to their minds being as one, and what they were capable of together. I saw her abrupt exit as totally understandable given those circumstances.

I didn't feel the subsequent time jump was contrived. It made sense, because after Kim's exodus you got slapped in the face with the effect it had on Saul. Showing that slowly, piecemeal, wouldn't have had the same jarring effect. Whereas she chose to save what was left of her conscience, he didn't...or couldn't.

I loved the Gus scene in the bar. He is so temporarily flushed with pride, relief, and victory over the death of Lalo and his successful conning of the cartel. He sits down to enjoy a glass of wine and actually live his life. A waiter comes over and begins flirting. He relaxes, flirts back, almost feels human. It is a side of Gus NEVER glimpsed before. Then...suddenly...reality. He catches himself. He sees his guard dropping and knows that this is not something he can allow. He cannot let himself be human. The last time he was human, his boyfriend took a bullet to the head.

He leaves.

Perfect.

Last edited:

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
After seeing Kim lying so casually and believably to the widow I would probably have more fear than admiration for her. I just have a problem with the sudden flip. I listened to Peter Gould on The Watch podcast yesterday and he confirmed she was going to murder the person who opened the door.
It’s just too convenient to suddenly think “wow, I am really doing terrible things here.” I see it as a writing problem they needed to solve. I follow the Reddit discussions and the questions have been where is Kim in Breaking Bad, is Kim going to be killed, and where is Kim in the Gene Cinnabon era.

So they solved the first two problems with a very quick decision. I don’t want to see her killed, especially when that has already been used to tie up loose ends for three other characters. But I don’t get leaving her practice and that felt like a setup for the scene with the packed boxes. We think one major event has occurred but then it turns out to be even bigger.

Maybe I am wrong. Most people thought it was great. I just thought it solved too many plot problems too quickly.

Skylarker

Go Easy On The Killer
After seeing Kim lying so casually and believably to the widow I would probably have more fear than admiration for her. I just have a problem with the sudden flip. I listened to Peter Gould on The Watch podcast yesterday and he confirmed she was going to murder the person who opened the door.
It’s just too convenient to suddenly think “wow, I am really doing terrible things here.” I see it as a writing problem they needed to solve. I follow the Reddit discussions and the questions have been where is Kim in Breaking Bad, is Kim going to be killed, and where is Kim in the Gene Cinnabon era.

So they solved the first two problems with a very quick decision. I don’t want to see her killed, especially when that has already been used to tie up loose ends for three other characters. But I don’t get leaving her practice and that felt like a setup for the scene with the packed boxes. We think one major event has occurred but then it turns out to be even bigger.

Maybe I am wrong. Most people thought it was great. I just thought it solved too many plot problems too quickly.
I don't totally disagree with you, but I think that it's hard to do full justice to a timeline that spans years over the course of 13 episodes.

I have more problems with being expected to believe she'd pull the trigger than with being expected to believe she'd leave Jimmy. That whole thing was a hell of a leap. I mean, she didn't do it, but would she have? Really? See, I don't know. But she had just undergone unprecedented psychological trauma. And Jimmy's life quite literally depended on it. Still...sterner stuff or not I didn't buy that whole thing.

But, again...they were making a greater point, I guess.

I just, in general, don't think it was a sudden flip. They have been planting the seeds since the beginning of the series...showing us that Kim has a very dark side, albeit a recessed one that's kept well in check. I think that yeah, the writers rushed certain things/overdid certain things in the last couple of episodes. I agree with you in general. But I felt like the last episode of Breaking Bad was guilty of far worse.

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
There are lots of details to pick apart and in the end you do have to keep in mind that it’s a story. When you mention Breaking Bad I think of how Walt parked the car in the only place where the plan would work and how a whole gang of characters had to be placed perfectly. If a couple of them had been outside that small area it could have been different.

I would separate it into two categories. One is things that have to happen for the plot to work and the other is choices the characters have to make for the plot to work. I am not bothered as much when it’s a small miracle like Walt somehow parking the car in the perfect spot.
There is even a quick cut where Walt gets his keys back and it looks like Jack is looking right at his hand.

Then you have Elliott and Gretchen perfectly placed so the perfectly placed Badger and Skinny Pete can shine the lasers.

I just don’t think about that kind of thing but characters’ decisions seem more important.

Last edited:

Skylarker

Go Easy On The Killer
There are lots of details to pick apart and in the end you do have to keep in mind that it’s a story. When you mention Breaking Bad I think of how Walt parked the car in the only place where the plan would work and how a whole gang of characters had to be placed perfectly. If a couple of them had been outside that small area it could have been different.

I would separate it into two categories. One is things that have to happen for the plot to work and the other is choices the characters have to make for the plot to work. I am not bothered as much when it’s a small miracle like Walt somehow parking the car in the perfect spot.
There is even a quick cut where Walt gets his keys back and it looks like Jack is looking right at his hand.

Then you have Elliott and Gretchen perfectly placed so the perfectly placed Badger and Skinny Pete can shine the lasers.

I just don’t think about that kind of thing but characters’ decisions seem more important.
That stuff is exactly what I was talking about. Or Walt's last goodbye to Skyler in her apartment yet it was watched like a hawk by the feds.

That kind of thing really bothers me. That's Ozark-level shitty writing. Especially disappointing for a show that, episode for episode, was flawless regarding such things.

Getting inside the heads of the characters, or not being able to, bothers me less. I don't mind those leaps of faith...at least not in the Gilligan universe. These characters are all painstakingly nuanced. I don't take it upon myself to always need to understand or agree with their decision making. I definitely understand what you are saying but I think we have different critera when judging the narratives.

Fake C

Measured, Found Wanting
That stuff is exactly what I was talking about. Or Walt's last goodbye to Skyler in her apartment yet it was watched like a hawk by the feds.

That kind of thing really bothers me. That's Ozark-level shitty writing. Especially disappointing for a show that, episode for episode, was flawless regarding such things.

Getting inside the heads of the characters, or not being able to, bothers me less. I don't mind those leaps of faith...at least not in the Gilligan universe. These characters are all painstakingly nuanced. I don't take it upon myself to always need to understand or agree with their decision making. I definitely understand what you are saying but I think we have different critera when judging the narratives.
Yes, Walt getting past those cops was another issue. Skyler was on the phone with Marie and Marie said calls were coming in from all over town, bomb threats and so on, and I suspect that was the explanation but it just raises more questions about who made the calls and it feels like what they call an info dump. Same with Mike telling Fring that “the lawyers talked to the cops” instead of showing Jimmy and Kim explaining the last time they saw Howard.

I would think that might have been more dramatic than the time devoted to “Gus can’t have a relationship because the person he sees will be murdered. Gus is a very interesting character but I am more interested in his past in Chile.

I think the reason character is more important to me is that we get scenes like Walt in that bar calling Jr and then deciding to turn himself in when his son refuses his money and tells him to kill himself. But then he sees Elliott on tv saying that he contributed nothing to their company and that changes everything.

How it happens is probably impossible but seeing the motivation and the way it completely changes everything is exciting. Without that Jesse would probably still be in that cage.

Skylarker

Go Easy On The Killer
Yes, Walt getting past those cops was another issue. Skyler was on the phone with Marie and Marie said calls were coming in from all over town, bomb threats and so on, and I suspect that was the explanation but it just raises more questions about who made the calls and it feels like what they call an info dump. Same with Mike telling Fring that “the lawyers talked to the cops” instead of showing Jimmy and Kim explaining the last time they saw Howard.

I would think that might have been more dramatic than the time devoted to “Gus can’t have a relationship because the person he sees will be murdered. Gus is a very interesting character but I am more interested in his past in Chile.

I think the reason character is more important to me is that we get scenes like Walt in that bar calling Jr and then deciding to turn himself in when his son refuses his money and tells him to kill himself. But then he sees Elliott on tv saying that he contributed nothing to their company and that changes everything.

How it happens is probably impossible but seeing the motivation and the way it completely changes everything is exciting. Without that Jesse would probably still be in that cage.
You've brought up a lot of interesting points here. I'll respond in the morning.

Top Bottom