Worst ever Smiths/Morrissey song

HousingOfficer

I blame my mother
The Smiths...Not overly keen on 'Death of a Disco dancer'
Morrissey.....'Hairdresser on Fire'.

The proviso being ofcourse that ever the worst of Mozzer is better than the Best of everyone else.

Re: Worst ever Smiths/Morrissey song.

You will be hard-pressed to find a song that doesn't mean something to someone.

Just sayin.'

Can't really think of a Smiths song, but I think I've only ever listened to The Father Who Must Be Killed around two times.

The Smiths...Barbarism Begins at home, Miserable lie
Morrissey...You're the one for me fatty, I just want to see the boy happy

and the 34 worst Morrissey sung songs are ...

201) The Public Image (2004) 6,80
202) Ammunition (1997) 6,75
203) The Draize Train (1986) 6,74
204) Moonriver (1994) 6,67
205) At Last I Am Born (2006) 6,67
206) Margaret On The Guillotine (1988) 6,65
207) Mexico (2004) 6,60
208) Cosmic Dancer (1991) 6,59
209) Best Friend On The Payroll (1995) 6,57
210) Black Eyed Susan (1995) 6,52
211) The Father Who Must Be Killed (2006) 6,51
212) East West (1989) 6,51
213) Work Is A Four Letter Word (1987) 6,48
214) America Is Not The World (2004) 6,44
215) Death At One’s Elbow (1987) 6,38
216) Money Changes Everything (1986) 6,37
217) Ambitious Outsiders (1997) 6,36
218) There Speaks A True Friend (1992) 6,33
219) Asian Rut (1991) 6,32
220) He Cried (1997) 6,26
221) You’ve Had Her (1992) 6,20
222) What’s The World (1987) 6,13
223) All The Lazy Dykes (2004) 6,11
224) Slum Mums (2004) 6,10
225) Tony The Pony (1991) 6,04
226) Get Off The Stage (1990) 6,04
227) Noise Is The Best Revenge (2005) 6,00
228) Found Found Found (1991) 5,85
229) The Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye (1991) 5,78
230) Sweetie Pie (2006) 5,66
231) Sorrow Will Come In The End (1997) 5,50
232) Papa Jack (1997) 5,05
233) Golden Lights (1986) 4,93
234) Journalists Who Lie (1991) 4,79

they're all 'solo' songs except the Smiths instrumentals, covers and Oh Glen.

I struggle to find a really, really bad Smiths song but Golden Lights and Work Is A Four Letter Word aren't personal favourites.... But do covers count?
Solo tunes? Pffft, quite a few. Noise is The Best Revenge is awful (((especially the band)))...... quite a few bad ones off Maladjusted.
Just a personal opinion though.

Maurice e you are f***ing nuts.
IMO most of those are classics. Tony the Pony.. legendary song.
I would agree with moonriver.

^Morrissey's Moon River is gorgeous, gtfo.

Is it wrong that I like almost all of those songs on Maurice's list? :p I agree that Journalists who Lie, Sorrow and Slum Mums are pretty bad. Lazy Dykes gets a bad rap :mad: This list is missing a lot of recent stuff -some much worse than these choices like, I'll Never be Anybody's Hero now and Paris. But no list is complete without That's How People Throw Up. :sick:

The Smiths...Barbarism Begins at home, Miserable lie
Morrissey...You're the one for me fatty, I just want to see the boy happy

Funnily enough I'd put both The Smiths tracks you mentioned in my Top 10.

"I know I need hardly say
How much I love your casual way
Oh, but please put your tongue away
A little higher and we're well away"

Worst Morrissey/Marr original for me is Pretty Girls Make Graves. I just can't stand to listen to it. Not a fan of I Want The One I Can't Have either. There's loads of duff solo efforts, namely Papa Jack, He Cried, On The Streets I Ran, You've Had Her, Daddy's Voice, Journalists Who Lie, At Amber, Have A Go Merchant, Black Eyed Susan, You Must Please Remember. I haven't listened to them enough times to decide which is worst, I just remember thinking they were all poor.

Last edited:

Worst Morrissey/Marr original for me is Pretty Girls Make Graves. I just can't stand to listen to it. Not a fan of I Want The One I Can't Have either. There's loads of duff solo efforts, namely Papa Jack, He Cried, You've Had Her, Daddy's Voice, Journalists Who Lie, At Amber, Have A Go Merchant, Black Eyed Susan, You Must Please Remember. I haven't listened to them enough times to decide which is worst, I just remember thinking they were all poor.

You BASTERD!!!!! I love Have A Go Merchant, it contains my favourite ever Morrissey couplet,

'A young girl runs crying through the park so freely that her Daddy berates her, and now so for the rest of her life she is convinced that her Daddy hates her.'

I'm not entirely convinced Morrissey is a lyrical genius but I was the first time I heard that song.

For me (deep breath) The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Miserable Lie (for want of better production), Unloveable, Meat Is Murder, Never Had No-one Ever (probably the worst of the bunch)

As for Solo work, Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye, Sorrow Will Come In The End & the chorus of Dagenham Dave.

Very big edit: I'd like to nominate Dear God Please Help me as the worst abomndination in the Morrissey cannon. I hate that song & I thought I'd managed to forget about it's very existence.

Last edited:

For me (deep breath) The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Miserable Lie (for want of better production), Unloveable, Meat Is Murder, Never Had No-one Ever (probably the worst of the bunch)

As for Solo work, Harsh Truth Of The Camera Eye, Sorrow Will Come In The End & the chorus of Dagenham Dave.

I'm listening to HAGM again now. The chorus is better than I remember it, still not great though.

Hand That Rocks The Cradle is in my top 5 Smiths songs! And lyrically Never Had No One Ever basically sums up why I love Morrissey! :lbf:

I just thing that HTRTC goes on for a long time without really going anywhere. I'm no fan of the first album at all. I think the Troy Tate versions are so far superior I find it embarassing that they re-recorded it with John Porter & someone went, ' oh yeah, that's much better'

Anyway, the thing with Never Had No One Ever is I was a Billy Bragg fan before I was a Morrissey or Smiths fan & he covered Never Had No-one Ever in 1997 so I'd heard that before I heard the original. And I'll maintain to my dying day that it's far far superior.

PS Fulham Road Lights, thanks for taking me calling you a bastard in the humorous way I intended. Cheers!

I just thing that HTRTC goes on for a long time without really going anywhere. I'm no fan of the first album at all. I think the Troy Tate versions are so far superior I find it embarassing that they re-recorded it with John Porter & someone went, ' oh yeah, that's much better'

Anyway, the thing with Never Had No One Ever is I was a Billy Bragg fan before I was a Morrissey or Smiths fan & he covered Never Had No-one Ever in 1997 so I'd heard that before I heard the original. And I'll maintain to my dying day that it's far far superior.

PS Fulham Road Lights, thanks for taking me calling you a bastard in the humorous way I intended. Cheers!

I guess this is a prime example of wide-ranging opinion on these boards. The first album is my favourite Morrissey album out of them all :blushing: Although I've noticed the Troy Tate sessions have recently popped up on the Downloads forum, I'll have to take a look.

Yeah, NHNOE for me is just quintessential Morrissey, lyrically, vocally, with a typically gloomy guitar line from Marr. I'll have to listen to the Billy Bragg version though.

PS No problem! :)

'The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye' is a stone-cold skid-mark of a song. :straightface:
I can see worth in all the rest.

n.b ~ As I'm typing Moz just came on the radio, 'First of the Gang to Die'. I'm a room away, radio down low, on the cusp of hearing it, yet it still gives me a thrill. (But lose it live for a bit Moz eh?) Impossible to believe that the same human being could participate in both songs, 13 years apart.

I don't like that song "Sweetie Pie" very much.

I guess this is a prime example of wide-ranging opinion on these boards. The first album is my favourite Morrissey album out of them all :blushing: Although I've noticed the Troy Tate sessions have recently popped up on the Downloads forum, I'll have to take a look.

Yeah, NHNOE for me is just quintessential Morrissey, lyrically, vocally, with a typically gloomy guitar line from Marr. I'll have to listen to the Billy Bragg version though.

PS No problem! :)

I agree, the first album is amazing, so many classics....Still Ill to name but one.

Must check out the Troy Tate sessions.

Tags
morrissey worst ever
Back
Top Bottom