Worst cover of a song

Piazza Cavour

whats my life for?
I don't know if this is the worst cover version in history but my vote certainly goes to 'Wil Young's' version of 'Light my Fire' by the 'Doors'.

This is the most hideous attempt at singing i have ever heard, the vocal range is so phoney and his version is gross. He totally trashed the song.

The man's VILE anyway, why he is a so called credible face of pop, I can not understand?

Jim will be turning in his grave....

the divine comedy's version of 'there is a light'. appalling. how dare they?

vivaissy said:
the divine comedy's version of 'there is a light'. appalling. how dare they?

Oh, I dunno. I was driving up from the South today and had "The Smiths Is Dead" on the CD player - Neil Hannon was interviewed some years ago about this and said that he'd have liked more time to "...do the song justice." As it stands (in my opinion), it's a sweet and typical Divine Comedy effort, though not a patch on their reworking of The Associates' Party Fears Two, it's a worthy effort that could have been improved upon.

Peter

thaxter tewksbury said:
Gotta be anything by Diamanda Galas particularly Gloomy Sunday from the album, The Singer. Pretty unbearable to witness.

You can't be serious about this.... :rolleyes: I just can't handIe this!!

This cover "GIoomy Sunday" by Diamanda GaIas is briIIiant, defenetIy the best song on the aIbum....and one of the best on any aIbum.. I've seen her perform it Iive and it was quite a fascinating experience.....You're just a DM hater or something.
Diamanda GaIas' version of "I put a SpeII on You" is aIso briIIiant and terrifying on aIbum and Iive!

Anyway, Manson's covers are incredibIy Iame, but not as Iame and horribIe as SheryI Crow's cover of "Sweet ChiId O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses.....WTF was that? ...I just hate the ugIy bitch!

PS - PauI Young's version of "Iove wiII tare us apart" is beyond viIe, it is DOG SHIT!!

They turned a fat geezer who is the epitome of musical racism's trite mumblings into a brilliantly memorable track that makes me want to dance like a child.

Worst cover? Mozza's "That's Entertainment" is up there. He manages to eliminate any sign of spirit, interest or vitality and make it, well, dull.

dazzak said:
They turned a fat geezer who is the epitome of musical racism's trite mumblings into a brilliantly memorable track that makes me want to dance like a child.

Worst cover? Mozza's "That's Entertainment" is up there. He manages to eliminate any sign of spirit, interest or vitality and make it, well, dull.

I have to agree on both points.
I love the PSB version, and Morrissey's cover has never done anything for me.

dazzak said:

Oh I wouldn't call Willie Nelson fat.
Yes, yes, I know you mean Elvis's version. In what way was he racist?
Neil Tennant just whined his way indifferently through the song and took away it's heart and soul.

sarahT said:
Oh I wouldn't call Willie Nelson fat.
Yes, yes, I know you mean Elvis's version. In what way was he racist?
Neil Tennant just whined his way indifferently through the song and took away it's heart and soul.
I'm not saying Elvis was himself racist (although there are some who claim he was), but that his success in and of itself is evidence of racism. He fed the needs of people who wanted black music without the black people. Never mind that he had none of the talent of his black predecessors and fellow musicians at the time (Little Richard for one).

I'll disregard your Neil jibe as you simply don't like the Pet Shop Boys.

in my opinion 80 percent of all cover songs suck. anything that is worth covering has to be worth covering usaully and if it is worth covering then it will be hard to improve on it. the best cover i have heard in a while is hounds of love by the futureheads covers the kate bush. dam good song

sarahT said:
Always on my mind by The Pet Shop Boys.
They murdered that song.
I can fully understand why you think so but I really love it for some reason. I think Where The Streets Have No Name/Can't Take My Eyes Off You is inspired too.

Umm, as for bad cover versions. I was curious to hear the Manson Ramones cover. I rather wish I hadn't now, it's absolutely dreadful.

There was an appalling 'dance cover' of Total Eclipse Of The Heart a little while back that made me cry. I don't know the artist though.

The Futureheads' version of 'Let's Dance' is up there too.

Sorry, I just find Diamanda Galas as one of those people who are supposed to be great but when you actually hear them you're thinking that was it? I don't find myself a particularly an anything hater. Some people just don't like some things. Is that really hard to grasp?

thaxter tewksbury said:
Sorry, I just find Diamanda Galas as one of those people who are supposed to be great but when you actually hear them you're thinking that was it? I don't find myself a particularly an anything hater. Some people just don't like some things. Is that really hard to grasp?

You certainIy have the right to your opinion, I just thin< that it's the wrong opinion! :)

++++++ said:
Mary J. Blide's cover of One is terrible, made all the more so by the fact that U2 themselves play on it. I like U2, but they make sometimes they make it tough to do so.

I have to agree with you on that. If you actually listen to her version, she never EVER sings any of the right notes. None at all. Her constant vocal show-offs just puts all the attention on to her inability to follow a tune, rather than the real power behind the song.

++++++ said:
I love Ryan Adams to death, but his cover of Wonderwall was pretty dull.

And I have to disagree here, I'm afraid. Ryan Adam's version is - in my opinion, anyways - far superior than Oasis' version. His voice just draws out much more emotion than Liam does, and it makes the song much more moving.

Back
Top Bottom