"World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes, Divirta-se)

Links posted by Belligerent Ghoul:

Light that never goes out has now lost its glow by Eamon Sweeney - Independent.ie
Morrissey's return to the music world is great news for fans . . . just don't expect to be wowed by his latest lyrical 'genius'

Review by Andrew P Street (0 of 10 stars) - FasterLouder
Despite a chequered solo career, World Peace is None of Your Business is something genuinely amazing: the objectively worst thing Morrissey has ever done

Review by Brent Stavig - Seattle Music Insider
Morrissey’s tenth solo album is an odd hodge-podge of studio tinkering, random sound effects, half-completed songs, Spanish guitar, and brilliant vocals...

Review by Sharon Moldavi - Globes (Hebrew)

Morrissey resgata origens e explora novos sons em 'World peace is none of your business' by Mariana Peixoto - Divirta-se (Portuguese)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

Don't you "rank" albums by how often you find yourself listening to them? If you exclude World Peace (as it is new) which Morrissey album would you normally reach for before the others? That is likely to be your favourite.

Wow, no, not at all. There are songs and even whole albums that I rarely listen to because of the emotional impact they have on me. I mentioned the Cure's Disintegration in the another thread—it is definitely the album that is the most important to me above all (and the one I will always name as being my "favorite" when asked), but I hardly ever put it on because 25 years later, I still can't make it past the 00:24 mark in Plainsong without starting to cry. I just can't handle it. Similarly, I can barely listen to Late Night Maudlin Street or Driving Your Girlfriend Home, even though they're among my favorite Morrissey songs.

Usually my choice of what to listen to comes down to how I want to feel at that moment, not what I think is an artist's greatest musical or lyrical accomplishment. Over the past five years, which Morrissey album have I reached for before the others? That's probably Years Of Refusal, but I would never call it my favorite…

Also, just as an aside, re: Kill Uncle. I never knew I was supposed to be disappointed by it or that so many fans consider it a low point until years after its release. Seeing it derided so much has almost certainly colored my view of it, and that's a shame. I wish I were impervious to that kind of thing.

Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

Wow, no, not at all. There are songs and even whole albums that I rarely listen to because of the emotional impact they have on me.

This is so true for me, too. The Queen is Dead and Vauxhall & I are, in fact, two albums I would place above most others by anyone, yet I only listen to them once in a while due to them both having such a potent emotional effect on me that I've never wanted to dilute it by over-familiarity, as it were.

Marred by name marred by nature.
marred,
1. To inflict damage, especially disfiguring damage, on.
2. To impair the soundness, perfection, or integrity of; spoil.

Define; As in he marred every thread he commented on. You're presence is negative and kinda spoily.

Aw geez. I thought we were getting close there for a second... anonymous. Say it ain't so.

Wow, no, not at all. There are songs and even whole albums that I rarely listen to because of the emotional impact they have on me. I mentioned the Cure's Disintegration in the another thread—it is definitely the album that is the most important to me above all (and the one I will always name as being my "favorite" when asked), but I hardly ever put it on because 25 years later, I still can't make it past the 00:24 mark in Plainsong without starting to cry. I just can't handle it. Similarly, I can barely listen to Late Night Maudlin Street or Driving Your Girlfriend Home, even though they're among my favorite Morrissey songs.

Usually my choice of what to listen to comes down to how I want to feel at that moment, not what I think is an artist's greatest musical or lyrical accomplishment. Over the past five years, which Morrissey album have I reached for before the others? That's probably Years Of Refusal, but I would never call it my favorite…

Also, just as an aside, re: Kill Uncle. I never knew I was supposed to be disappointed by it or that so many fans consider it a low point until years after its release. Seeing it derided so much has almost certainly colored my view of it, and that's a shame. I wish I were impervious to that kind of thing.

Oh f*** off with the cure. Do you think you're worthy of being listened to for 20 paragraphs, this self indulgence is nauseating, vomit inducing even. You sound like you havent spoke to anyone in years.

Oh f*** off with the cure. Do you think you're worthy of being listened to for 20 paragraphs, this self indulgence is nauseating, vomit inducing even. You sound like you havent spoke to anyone in years.

:sweet:

I wonder if the irrational negativity of this review is, in part, a reaction against the irrational and excessive praise it's been getting from some quarters?

Wow the arseholes are out tonight. I guess an anonymous finally signed up :)

I wonder if the irrational negativity of this review is, in part, a reaction against the irrational and excessive praise it's been getting from some quarters?

Well said!

This is so true for me, too. The Queen is Dead and Vauxhall & I are, in fact, two albums I would place above most others by anyone, yet I only listen to them once in a while due to them both having such a potent emotional effect on me that I've never wanted to dilute it by over-familiarity, as it were.

Who in their right mind listens to an album and decides it's just too good to bother with again?

Weirdo

No but thanks for your input

Who in their right mind listens to an album and decides it's just too good to bother with again?

Weirdo

How you can read Chickpea's post and reply with this is beyond me.

Just because giving it some actual thought takes a little longer doesn't mean it's best to avoid it.

vauxhall and I bores me to be honest, i found the music had lost the specialness moz' music had had up to that point. it kind of felt a bit flat. yes i find kill uncle more interesting, a real curate's egg. your arsenal is in no way about only one thing 3 or 4 songs max. are about working class london. i like it, but maybe for that reason the first side is much more compelling to me than the first. southpaw grammar which had me baffled at the time is a better all round listen than vauxhall or arsenal (i hate the self-pitying lyrics on seasick and find the tune annoyingly repetitive).

quarry is garbage, maladjusted has a few good songs, Life is a Pigsty aside I could never hear Ringleaders again. Years of Refusal? 6/10. There are a lot of good/great b-sides off all these 4 albums, so i think he leaves his best stuff off the albums on purpose. so it never gets reviewed? so only the true fans get to hear them? who knows. Again the BONUS tracks seem more catchy and interesting than the album tracks this time round.

btw the way don't be hurt, this is just my opinion.

Weirdo

What an insulting, cruel response, and complete misreading of the sentiments both Anon and I expressed. It's not about not wanting to "bother" with an album because it's "too good," it's about self-preservation and emotional well-being. You may not be as a sensitive an individual as others, but that's no reason to dismiss those of us who do have that kind of relationship with the music we love.

vauxhall and I bores me to be honest, i found the music had lost the specialness moz' music had had up to that point. it kind of felt a bit flat. yes i find kill uncle more interesting, a real curate's egg. your arsenal is in no way about only one thing 3 or 4 songs max. are about working class london. i like it, but maybe for that reason the first side is much more compelling to me than the first. southpaw grammar which had me baffled at the time is a better all round listen than vauxhall or arsenal (i hate the self-pitying lyrics on seasick and find the tune annoyingly repetitive).

quarry is garbage, maladjusted has a few good songs, Life is a Pigsty aside I could never hear Ringleaders again. Years of Refusal? 6/10. There are a lot of good/great b-sides off all these 4 albums, so i think he leaves his best stuff off the albums on purpose. so it never gets reviewed? so only the true fans get to hear them? who knows. Again the BONUS tracks seem more catchy and interesting than the album tracks this time round.

Shut up

What an insulting, cruel response, and complete misreading of the sentiments both Anon and I expressed. It's not about not wanting to "bother" with an album because it's "too good," it's about self-preservation and emotional well-being. You may not be as a sensitive an individual as others, but that's no reason to dismiss those of us who do have that kind of relationship with the music we love.

As I said, the assholes are out tonight. They get off on it.

I gave you a thumb for this even though I feel very, very differently from you about almost everything you said, because you've really proven the point that others have tried to make here: it's all totally subjective. There is no art that exists solely as it was created—the moment an audience is involved, it becomes a different thing for each individual. How could anyone be hurt by that? :)

Me said:

I does. That's why I said it, you silly sausage.

As I said, the assholes are out tonight. They get off on it.

I'm consciously making an effort to be an arsehole, you on the other hand...

What's so emotionally devastating about Vauxhall & I or The Queen Is Dead that you can't listen to them multiple times? I can honestly say that in all my life I've never heard an album that I couldn't listen to over again because it was too powerful. The only reason I might not want to listen to Vauxhall again is because I was in a coma of boredom.

Am I an insensitive clod? Probably, but hey.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom