"World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes, Divirta-se)

Links posted by Belligerent Ghoul:

Light that never goes out has now lost its glow by Eamon Sweeney - Independent.ie
Morrissey's return to the music world is great news for fans . . . just don't expect to be wowed by his latest lyrical 'genius'

Review by Andrew P Street (0 of 10 stars) - FasterLouder
Despite a chequered solo career, World Peace is None of Your Business is something genuinely amazing: the objectively worst thing Morrissey has ever done

Review by Brent Stavig - Seattle Music Insider
Morrissey’s tenth solo album is an odd hodge-podge of studio tinkering, random sound effects, half-completed songs, Spanish guitar, and brilliant vocals...

Review by Sharon Moldavi - Globes (Hebrew)

Morrissey resgata origens e explora novos sons em 'World peace is none of your business' by Mariana Peixoto - Divirta-se (Portuguese)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

Exactly. Music's a subjective business, a great review or a bad review confirms nothing but another person's opinion and because somebody shares your opinion in print doesn't mean it's proof that your ears work better. Think for yourselves people!

If you like the album you like it, if you don't you don't. Why is everyone so hell bent on telling us how great or bad the album is and why everyone should agree with them?

However many good or bad reviews it gets won't sway me one way or the other. I've read plenty of good reviews but I somehow don't feel the need to jump online proclaiming I was right all along. There's never been a right or wrong re Morrissey's catalogue. Find me 20 people who hate Kill Uncle and I'll find 20 who love it.

Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

However many good or bad reviews it gets won't sway me one way or the other. I've read plenty of good reviews but I somehow don't feel the need to jump online proclaiming I was right all along. There's never been a right or wrong re Morrissey's catalogue. Find me 20 people who hate Kill Uncle and I'll find 20 who love it.

Very true, one of my favourite albums is Years Of Refusal yet most people really don't seem to like it but I rarely play Vauxhall which most people love as No. 1. I don't think there's a massive difference in the quality of any Morrissey album.

Very true, one of my favourite albums is Years Of Refusal yet most people really don't seem to like it but I rarely play Vauxhall which most people love as No. 1. I don't think there's a massive difference in the quality of any Morrissey album.

I love Years Of Refusal as well. I don't play Vauxhall And I much either but it's not because of the same reason you state. It's just such an emotional album that I need to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Yep all the albums have their moments and we all have our different moments within each album, and we all have our different moments within each song. Ranking them is quite pointless. I do like seeing the polls and Ghoul has done a great job with them but every time I answer a poll and rank songs or albums I feel like it somehow wasn't me doing it. Maybe I just like clicking buttons?

Yep all the albums have their moments and we all have our different moments within each album, and we all have our different moments within each song. Ranking them is quite pointless. I do like seeing the polls and Ghoul has done a great job with them but every time I answer a poll and rank songs or albums I feel like it somehow wasn't me doing it. Maybe I just like clicking buttons?

This is a great point, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm not a ranking-type person by nature. I immediately feel guilty for not choosing X instead. I don't really even know how to determine "best," anyway. It's supposedly a given that Your Arsenal is "better" than Kill Uncle, and if you asked me I'd probably answer as much, but in truth I find myself putting on KU far more often. I also maintain my stance that my reaction to albums has as much to do with my own life situation at the time of their release as it does anything else.

I'm really not usually one for the shallow, guttural, knee jerk, poorly constructed put down...but today I'll make an exception...so here goes:

Andrew P Street...you're a nob! :cool:

It is interesting that we seem to have moved from World Peace being the greatest thing ever to it being mentioned in the same breath as the very, very disappointing Kill Uncle.

This is a great point, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm not a ranking-type person by nature. I immediately feel guilty for not choosing X instead. I don't really even know how to determine "best," anyway. It's supposedly a given that Your Arsenal is "better" than Kill Uncle, and if you asked me I'd probably answer as much, but in truth I find myself putting on KU far more often. I also maintain my stance that my reaction to albums has as much to do with my own life situation at the time of their release as it does anything else.

Don't you "rank" albums by how often you find yourself listening to them? If you exclude World Peace (as it is new) which Morrissey album would you normally reach for before the others? That is likely to be your favourite.

Andrew P Street spent the early 90s trying to get his 'Morrissey inspired' band The Career Girls happening, they never did and he has yet to write any song lyrics close to Morrissey's. So of course, he became a music journalist.
He also gave bad reviews to Maladjusted & Southpaw, ho hum

Oh Andrew P Street relax my dear! Art-hounds hurt you that much?

Absolutely. You'll find people who don't like Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper or Blood On The Tracks or whatever. There are always going to be people (and by extension critics) who don't like an album. I personally love Vauxhall and find World Peace right up there with it at the minute. And at the end of the it's only your own opinion that matters after all.

Absolutely. You'll find people who don't like Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper or Blood On The Tracks or whatever. There are always going to be people (and by extension critics) who don't like an album. I personally love Vauxhall and find World Peace right up there with it at the minute. And at the end of the it's only your own opinion that matters after all.

Yeah but in this case your opinion is wrong. World peace is up there with Vauxhall, in what aspects? I think you've fell and hit your head

The reason I think that people usually cite Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I as his best solo albums is twofold: 1. they're the most consistently brilliant albums in terms of having great songs from beginning to end (unlike all other Moz albums which are up and down depending on your taste); and 2. he seems to have found a coherent 'voice' on those two: like he was writing about something with a consistent feeling and context. For me, Your Arsenal is overwhelming because it's about London and about a working class culture that was dying out or had already gone, so it has that doomed poetry of his best Smiths songs; and Vauxhall & I is about the breakup of a relationship and death of friends and getting old, much more personal than the previous album, of course - perhaps his most personal ever - and again overwhelming in its romantic sense of loss and the poetry that he brought out of that specific time and context. It's difficult for me to 'place' his other albums in that way and I see them more as arbitrary collections of songs (some good, some bad) - apart from Ringleader of the Tormentors, which is mostly bad songs, but the the good ones have that feeling that you get from Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I, only this time he's writing about Italy. I think he needs a place and a culture to write about and he needs to immerse himself in that culture to produce those great albums. There isn't much culture in L.A., is there?

It is interesting that we seem to have moved from World Peace being the greatest thing ever to it being mentioned in the same breath as the very, very disappointing Kill Uncle.

Not really that interesting. You're just on the sniff for more ammunition. I was simply pointing out the extremes of people's tastes in the Morrissey catalogue re the much maligned Kill Uncle. As I said before people play Morrissey albums for different reasons. And it's those various reasons that place all his albums in different parts of our heads and hearts. It's not a ladder with steps to the top.

Do you really think ranking is the be all and end all of how a Morrissey album fits into your life or to a much, much, much lesser extent your playlist count? How often you play it has less to do with it than you give it credit for. That makes about as much sense as buying music that consistently makes the top of the charts. "Hey it must be good if everyone else is listening to it that much."

Last edited:

I'm thinking of ranking my emotions. I put happiness at #1, sadness at #2 cause how else am I going to know happiness? Should I put confusion at #3? I don't know. I'm not sure, etc.....

Hopefully this well help me rank the albums so I can know exactly which is the best.

Last edited:

Not really that interesting. You're just on the sniff for more ammunition. I was simply pointing out the extremes of people's tastes in the Morrissey catalogue re the much maligned Kill Uncle. As I said before people play Morrissey albums for different reasons. And it's those various reasons that place all his albums in different parts of our heads and hearts. It's not a ladder with steps to the top.

Do you really think ranking is the be all and end all of how a Morrissey album fits into your life or to a much, much, much lesser extent your playlist count? How often you play it has less to do with it than you give it credit for. That makes about as much sense as buying music that consistently makes the top of the charts. "Hey it must be good if everyone else is listening to it that much."

Much maligned? Is that how you speak?

It's human nature to rank things, though.
Morrissey knows this only too well and even named an album he released with his former band (The Smiths) as 'Rank'.
I know the album was terrible and was - quite literally - "rank"; and there was the inevitable Moz double-entendre of the slang word for masturbation ("a J Arthur"), but also I think he knew that 25 years later we'd all be ranking his work and find it increasingly wanting (as indeed was the aforementioned live LP)...

That fool who gave the new Moz album 0 out of 1o is a waste of space and if I am honest I don't like even seeing that kind of useless drivel on the Moz solo website. Obviouly he hates Morrissey and his music. Any open minded person would respect the new-ish musical direction and give marks for that and for some (if not all) of the great tunes on the album. The presence of 'Istanbul' and 'Oboe Concerto' on the album means it deserves some stars. What a total fool. Those type of reviews don't help anyone.

I wonder if the irrational negativity of this review is, in part, a reaction against (what they see as) the irrational and excessive praise it's been getting from some quarters?

That fool who gave the new Moz album 0 out of 1o is a waste of space and if I am honest I don't like even seeing that kind of useless drivel on the Moz solo website. Obviouly he hates Morrissey and his music. Any open minded person would respect the new-ish musical direction and give marks for that and for some (if not all) of the great tunes on the album. The presence of 'Istanbul' and 'Oboe Concerto' on the album means it deserves some stars. What a total fool. Those type of reviews don't help anyone.

Music journalists have been wasting space for years. This guy has taken it to it's extreme.

Music journalists have been wasting space for years. This guy has taken it to it's extreme.

Marred by name marred by nature.
marred,
1. To inflict damage, especially disfiguring damage, on.
2. To impair the soundness, perfection, or integrity of; spoil.

Define; As in he marred every thread he commented on. You're presence is negative and kinda spoily.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom