"World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes, Divirta-se)

Links posted by Belligerent Ghoul:

Light that never goes out has now lost its glow by Eamon Sweeney - Independent.ie
Morrissey's return to the music world is great news for fans . . . just don't expect to be wowed by his latest lyrical 'genius'

Review by Andrew P Street (0 of 10 stars) - FasterLouder
Despite a chequered solo career, World Peace is None of Your Business is something genuinely amazing: the objectively worst thing Morrissey has ever done

Review by Brent Stavig - Seattle Music Insider
Morrissey’s tenth solo album is an odd hodge-podge of studio tinkering, random sound effects, half-completed songs, Spanish guitar, and brilliant vocals...

Review by Sharon Moldavi - Globes (Hebrew)

Morrissey resgata origens e explora novos sons em 'World peace is none of your business' by Mariana Peixoto - Divirta-se (Portuguese)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

This is the only morrissey album i haven't rushed out to buy and having heard tracks online it won't be one i'll be buying.. No stand out tracks musically, melody or otherwise.. Pity really as after the autobiography, a stunning musical offering would have softened the blows of tour cancellations etc..
Although no more kristeen young can't be a bad thing.. :confused:

couldn't disagree more. it's a grower though. it sneaks into your mind. the hooks are quite strong, but not obvious.

Re: Article: "World Peace..." reviews (Independent.ie, FasterLouder, Seattle Music Insider, Globes,

The more I listen to the record (and bonus tracks) the more I love it. It's completely adventurous. Almost Moz's version of a Tom Waits freakout. Which inevitably narrows the listening base b/c some people need everything spelled out. It's also a deeply misanthropic record, but the innate beauty of the vocals and music counters the lyrical dismay. It's absolutely narcissistic, but expresses deep feelings about life that many many people can relate to, and sometimes feel. So, on the one hand, you could claim it's 'defeatist' but the passion of the music says otherwise. And therein lies one of the many Moz riddles. Would he be a good friend in real life? I've no idea. But artistically there is NO ONE LIKE HIM and he's got massive COJONES, explosive kegs really, b/c he will take on anyone in an intellectual fight even when he knows he will be bloodied.

Yes! Agreed 100%.

The hype is over and this album is seen for what it really is: a collection of stunningly produced bad tunes with bad lyrics. It sounds crisp and energetic, but when you listen closely, it all falls apart.

The party is over.

There,s only one thing left to do.....hang yourself....with a garden hose.

The more I listen to the record (and bonus tracks) the more I love it. It's completely adventurous. Almost Moz's version of a Tom Waits freakout. Which inevitably narrows the listening base b/c some people need everything spelled out. It's also a deeply misanthropic record, but the innate beauty of the vocals and music counters the lyrical dismay. It's absolutely narcissistic, but expresses deep feelings about life that many many people can relate to, and sometimes feel. So, on the one hand, you could claim it's 'defeatist' but the passion of the music says otherwise. And therein lies one of the many Moz riddles. Would he be a good friend in real life? I've no idea. But artistically there is NO ONE LIKE HIM and he's got massive COJONES, explosive kegs really, b/c he will take on anyone in an intellectual fight even when he knows he will be bloodied.

Excellent comment, Rob. I thought of Bad as Me. When I first listened to it. It,s a monster.....!

In fairness to Kill Uncle, I've come to view its 'weakness' was mainly in the production. Those songs played live had a tremendous energy that was lacking on the recording. Sing Your Life on the album and live, almost two different songs.

I've warmed up to Kill Uncle a lot in recent years. It's still my least favorite album of his, however but that's just cause I like the others s'damn much!

You've really summed it up perfectly, Rob. Thanks.

Just seeing this now and agree. I think time will do this record well and it will be looked upon a lot higher than it initially seemed.

I've been listening to the "deluxe" addition since my pre-order download came in 7/15/14 on U.S ITunes. Upon first listen, minus the pre-ordered download tracks, I remember feeling the same way I felt about Quarry; puzzled and not connecting. After about a week of repeated listening's, fast forwarding to tracks I began to connect with it, the appreciation for the record shined through. I feel exactly the same way about WPINOYB; it's growing on me big time. On some of the songs I can imagine MOZ on stage belting out the lyrics as only he can.

I will give WPINOYB a 4.5 out 5. I remember reading a comment just recently on here stating the B sides are better than some of the A sides, I agree 100%, some of the B-Sides are my favorites.

I know people may blast me on my rating of the album, but as many have said, it is subjective. I consider it classic Moz and the appreciation will continue to grow for many others I'm confident.

Here's my #1 through #17 song ranking from the deluxe version on WPINOYB:

1 Staircase at The University
2 Oboe Concerto
3 One Of Our Own
4 Mountjoy
5 Forgive Someone
6 Drag The River
7 Art Hounds
8 Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
9 The Bullfighter Dies
10 Istanbul
11 Kiss Me A Lot
12 Julie In The Weeds
13 Scandanavia
14 World Peace Is None of Your Business
25 Smiler With Knife
16 Earth Is The Loneliest Planet
17 Neal Cassady Drops Dead

I've been listening to the "deluxe" addition since my pre-order download came in 7/15/14 on U.S ITunes. Upon first listen, minus the pre-ordered download tracks, I remember feeling the same way I felt about Quarry; puzzled and not connecting. After about a week of repeated listening's, fast forwarding to tracks I began to connect with it, the appreciation for the record shined through. I feel exactly the same way about WPINOYB; it's growing on me big time. On some of the songs I can imagine MOZ on stage belting out the lyrics as only he can.

I will give WPINOYB a 4.5 out 5. I remember reading a comment just recently on here stating the B sides are better than some of the A sides, I agree 100%, some of the B-Sides are my favorites.

I know people may blast me on my rating of the album, but as many have said, it is subjective. I consider it classic Moz and the appreciation will continue to grow for many others I'm confident.

Here's my #1 through #17 song ranking from the deluxe version on WPINOYB:

1 Staircase at The University
2 Oboe Concerto
3 One Of Our Own
4 Mountjoy
5 Forgive Someone
6 Drag The River
7 Art Hounds
8 Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
9 The Bullfighter Dies
10 Istanbul
11 Kiss Me A Lot
12 Julie In The Weeds
13 Scandanavia
14 World Peace Is None of Your Business
25 Smiler With Knife
16 Earth Is The Loneliest Planet
17 Neal Cassady Drops Dead

No one will blast you mate, I doubt they'll even care

Just seeing this now and agree. I think time will do this record well and it will be looked upon a lot higher than it initially seemed.

Thanks, all. Most masterpieces and near masterpieces are lambasted when released, but history eventually wins. Kubrick's 2001 & The Shining for example!

Reading the review by Andrew P Street, I must say it is a disgusting review and why is this person reviewing anything for anyone? Its not the greatest Moz album, but theirs points in it that are great. So Mr Street, f*** YOU!, come back when you have written 10 solo albums.

Excellent comment, Rob. I thought of Bad as Me. When I first listened to it. It,s a monster.....!

Thanks K. What's Bad As Me? I'm unfamiliar.

For Rob Falgiano.....I wrote this last week on Amazon USA.....It was the best I could do (not a "Professional" critic). Your paragraph above is better....

Morrissey.....An Artist.....A Man Alone

I've listened to this for a week now and I love it. It's almost as good as "Ringleader of the Tormentors" and in some ways better. His vocals are as strong and clear as ever and the band brings it......this may be his best produced album yet. Excellent instrumentals and support. It's got a kinda "Spanish Tinge" as Tom Waits would say. The theme and color of the whole project reminds me of Waits' last album, "Bad as Me" but much darker. Artistic references abound, from the Beats to popular and obscure comedians to Tennessee Williams and more.....But this is Morrissey's show all the way. Even with all of the great support he gets on this album, the focus is still on him......His vision is so strong on this album it took me several listens to get it...but it is worth it.

What can you say about the subject matter?....Human coercion, manipulation, brutality, violence and destruction of other humans, animals and of course our own environment.... as well as fear and confusion over Death.....In the middle of the madness of life we look for love and need it.... one way or another. This is a very philosophical and powerful statement that Morrissey and many other artists have explored and he has his own unique approach. The horrifying human screams at the end of "I'm Not a Man" is an incredible ending to one of his best songs from his perspective. Some critics may not like his political opinions or his stance for animals......they don't have to. Like I said, this is his perspective.....He's not a man or an artist in any ordinary manner.

I like every song on this album, don't really have a favorite. The songs are sequenced well with great sound effects throughout. Oboe Concerto is a perfect ending to an amazing work. My wife and I saw Morrissey a couple of months ago in Florida. He did a few songs off of this album. One of the most powerful shows we've ever seen.....He and the band couldn't have performed any better. He gave it everything he had.....

Like Morrissey, (and probably you as well) we try to keep up with current and world wide events and the picture is grim. This is Morrissey's take on life..... on this planet....a damn good album. Better than that...it's a Morrissey masterpiece. If you have ever been a fan of his work, you need to get this and give it a good listen....I have all of his work and in my opinion, this rivals everything he has ever done. The power of this grows and grows......

Last edited by a moderator:

For Rob Falgiano.....I wrote this last week on Amazon USA.....It was the best I could do (not a "Professional" critic). Your paragraph above is better....

Morrissey.....An Artist.....A Man Alone

I've listened to this for a week now and I love it. It's almost as good as "Ringleader of the Tormentors" and in some ways better. His vocals are as strong and clear as ever and the band brings it......this may be his best produced album yet. Excellent instrumentals and support. It's got a kinda "Spanish Tinge" as Tom Waits would say. The theme and color of the whole project reminds me of Waits' last album, "Bad as Me" but much darker. Artistic references abound, from the Beats to popular and obscure comedians to Tennessee Williams and more.....But this is Morrissey's show all the way. Even with all of the great support he gets on this album, the focus is still on him......His vision is so strong on this album it took me several listens to get it...but it is worth it.

What can you say about the subject matter?....Human coercion, manipulation, brutality, violence and destruction of other humans, animals and of course our own environment.... as well as fear and confusion over Death.....In the middle of the madness of life we look for love and need it.... one way or another. This is a very philosophical and powerful statement that Morrissey and many other artists have explored and he has his own unique approach. The horrifying human screams at the end of "I'm Not a Man" is an incredible ending to one of his best songs from his perspective. Some critics may not like his political opinions or his stance for animals......they don't have to. Like I said, this is his perspective.....He's not a man or an artist in any ordinary manner.

I like every song on this album, don't really have a favorite. The songs are sequenced well with great sound effects throughout. Oboe Concerto is a perfect ending to an amazing work. My wife and I saw Morrissey a couple of months ago in Florida. He did a few songs off of this album. One of the most powerful shows we've ever seen.....He and the band couldn't have performed any better. He gave it everything he had.....

Like Morrissey, (and probably you as well) we try to keep up with current and world wide events and the picture is grim. This is Morrissey's take on life..... on this planet....a damn good album. Better than that...it's a Morrissey masterpiece. If you have ever been a fan of his work, you need to get this and give it a good listen....I have all of his work and in my opinion, this rivals everything he has ever done. The power of this grows and grows......

Thanks Keene. Don't sell yourself short! This is well said. Of course, "Bad As Me," how could I forget? You know that's one of the only Tom Waits records I didn't buy even though I dug the video single for the war song. For some reason the excerpt clips seemed to me to be very similar to "Real Gone" and I didn't jump. But I probably should anyways b/c I'll surely find something on it.

If I may be so egotistical, here's a video for a song off my most recent disc. I'm not quite as confrontational as Moz, but I have my moments of narcissistic glory. I'm definitely dedicated to being my own person, whereever that leads:
https://vimeo.com/98476330

Thanks Keene. Don't sell yourself short! This is well said. Of course, "Bad As Me," how could I forget? You know that's one of the only Tom Waits records I didn't buy even though I dug the video single for the war song. For some reason the excerpt clips seemed to me to be very similar to "Real Gone" and I didn't jump. But I probably should anyways b/c I'll surely find something on it.

If I may be so egotistical, here's a video for a song off my most recent disc. I'm not quite as confrontational as Moz, but I have my moments of narcissistic glory. I'm definitely dedicated to being my own person, whereever that leads:
https://vimeo.com/98476330

Very good Rob.....love your sound and lyrics.....

If those few very simple sentences were too complex for you to understand, I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to help you.

You are wasting your time with these morons.

Who in their right mind listens to an album and decides it's just too good to bother with again?

Weirdo

The point you completely missed is we are not always in our right mind. Have you heard of these things called emotions. I feel a few every time I see your posts. A mixture of boredom and annoyance.

Yeah, I love "Staircase at the University" too! :) It should be getting heavy rotation airplay right along with One Republic's "Counting Stars," but Morrissey's label didn't pay off Clear Channel and CBS radio and the music industry is too corrupt to play songs based on quality. :(

0/10 means that you've done something right. Genuinely dull albums get 2's and 3's. 0 equals hate, and hate is a strong emotion.

Hehe. Human behaviour is funny. The rule is that if x is acclaimed and liked by a lot of people, somebody will soon appear and pretend to absolutely hate x.

I wonder what Andrew P Street's opinion would have been if others had disliked the album.

Btw, Staircase at the University is truly amazing. Simply brilliant.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom